please Help me in learning unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldude666666

Broken In
I'm a bca student and have to study unix in this sem of mine. I don't have a good internet connection right now(am not at my place) so I wasn't able to download freeBSD which I wanted to install to learn unix. I also got freeBSD images from a digit dvd one or two months ago but those images were corrupt and the installer didn't boot citing problems with the image. Finally, I got a live mandriva distro(mandriva 2008.1 spring) from last month's dvd and was able install that on my lappy. But some commands either do not work or do not provide required results. Can anyone tell me what other packages I need to install so as to start learning unix properly. OR if anyone can tell me any small distro that will help me learning unix properly.

sourav123

Thinking Different
I'm a bca student and have to study unix in this sem of mine. I don't have a good internet connection right now(am not at my place) so I wasn't able to download freeBSD which I wanted to install to learn unix. I also got freeBSD images from a digit dvd one or two months ago but those images were corrupt and the installer didn't boot citing problems with the image. Finally, I got a live mandriva distro(mandriva 2008.1 spring) from last month's dvd and was able install that on my lappy. But some commands either do not work or do not provide required results. Can anyone tell me what other packages I need to install so as to start learning unix properly. OR if anyone can tell me any small distro that will help me learning unix properly.

Hi,

If you are new to Unix and want to study Unix, I recommend you start with O'reilly books. They have excellent quality books on Unix. See the below link to get started:

*letters.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/letters/2001/learnunix_1101.html

Also, Mandriva, though a good distro, is not recommended for beginners. If you don't have internet connection, try using Fedora. Or, if you have some connectivity, install Ubuntu 8.04. Get a copy of this month's Chip magazine , they are giving a Ubuntu DVD for free.

If you are staying in Bangalore, then let me know. I can also help you personally for free (or, for the cost of an ice-cream :) ).

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

• * Unix is not open source
    * Tell us which commands did not work
    * Make us familiar with your level of comfort with *nix

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
I suggest freeBSD of Unix learning since Unix is not free and is not easily available.

OFFTOPIC:
If you are staying in Bangalore, then let me know. I can also help you personally for free (or, for the cost of an ice-cream :) ).

.....hmm u sounds like a lady :p :grin:

OP
cooldude666666

cooldude666666

Broken In
there is no 'bc' command just the man page, the commands 'lc', 'lf' do not work. and the special case of 'who' command: 'who am i' doesn't give any result. the logname command gives 'no user logged in'.

i'm in muzaffarpur, bihar.

Last edited:

sourav123

Thinking Different
there is no 'bc' command just the man page, the commands 'lc', 'lf' do not work. and the special case of 'who' command: 'who am i' doesn't give any result. the logname command gives 'no user logged in'.

Make sure you have /bin in your path. Some of the commands you mentioned are not typical Linux commands. By the way, bc/who/who am i/logname runs without issues on Ubuntu 8.04.

Missed my ice-cream. :cry:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

Which linux did you try?
I can find bc in here
Never heard of lc, do you mean ls?
What syntax did you use for if?
where did you try logname and who? It will only work on a login shell.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Most of the forum members are very well familiar wth my position, but still I would like to say m new to Linux. I think I have basic knowledge and thats it!
I got a book called Fedora Core bible long time back but it was nt of much use.. I think I want a book where they dont teach me how to install a distro and part hard drive! I can do that on my own..

But something like teaching all the unix commands+messing with files(fstab,xorg.conf for an example)Then I could move on to shell scripting and stuff..

If u feel I need something else pls do mention, I wll b happy to follow u!

sourav123

Thinking Different
Most of the forum members are very well familiar wth my position, but still I would like to say m new to Linux. I think I have basic knowledge and thats it!
I got a book called Fedora Core bible long time back but it was nt of much use.. I think I want a book where they dont teach me how to install a distro and part hard drive! I can do that on my own..

But something like teaching all the unix commands+messing with files(fstab,xorg.conf for an example)Then I could move on to shell scripting and stuff..

If u feel I need something else pls do mention, I wll b happy to follow u!

Please see my post above:

If you are new to Unix and want to study Unix, I recommend you start with O'reilly books. They have excellent quality books on Unix. See the below link to get started:

*letters.oreilly.com/pub/a/ore...unix_1101.html

The first book to start with is Learning the Unix Operating System, 5th Edition. This book is concise and to the point and is an excellent read. Then move on to the other books mentioned here.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
thanks sourav123,As these books are not availaible in the hill station where I live I wll get the digital copy :D

And what about learning to tamper with linux files??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom