Play DivX/Xvid/MP3 on your Playstation 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonzz

Right off the assembly line
Ok.

Im trying to understand this.

I burn that SMS Player to a CD, place it in my PS2. Turn it on, then eject it when it comes up as that SMS Screen, place my DVD in with 4 XviD files on it and i can choose what one i want to?

Is that correct :S?

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
what is the latest SMS player? (I have 2.??) my problem is with a certain Divx movie, it plays double speed on the PS2 but normally on PC. Ihave tried to convert the file so maytimes, but get the same result, plays fine on PC but double speed on PS2. I have played many divx files on my ps2. if it helps I have old school ps2 (fatboy) with 300GB seagate HDD, Using HDAdvance 3.0 (DVD ver) (no modchip)

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Ummmm....... wont liken to discourage PS2 owners, present as well as to be, bt i think XBOX is a much better buy. Has got a build in hard disk. Can play any media file. Works as a linux desktop for me (Sometimes, only for fun, no real use :D), has got better graphics than PS2, Can play all those retro console games with emulators, gets very well networked with ur PC, plays all the disks with ease not any real problem with the most prevalent SAMSUNG DVD drives

Also the controllers have pressure sensitive triggers for that extra realistic feel.

Dont have an idea of its price here and m not too familiar with PS2 too, just played a lot on it in game parlours :D but own a XBOX since last 3yrs and m very very happy about it.

Do enlighten me on PS2 features if i overlooked them coz m not that familiar with it

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
I wrote the Image @ 32X in a Sony CD.
Just put the CD first and then while the PS2 is on, take the CD out and insert the CD/DVD containing the AVI files.It plays as smooth as possible
Worked like a piece of cake, am able to play both XviD and DivX movies.
Now I am a proud PS2/XviD/DivX Player :D

Caution : This does not support CD-RW.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
What if I burn the player to the disc with AVIs, Say I burn a DVD with 4 AVIs and the player, in this case, will there be no need of disc swapping?

Liggy

Okay never mind about my post I finally got the file to work, had to get Divx Pro, and convert the file with that. For the guy who posted about the Xbox, Ps2's have pressure sensitive buttons as well, ya I'll agree it sucks that ps2 doesn't come with Hdd, but thats how sony makes it's money, by all the extra features that the sell later. I do not think the Xbox can emulate PS2 games. As far as I know PS2 has more titles.. the only xbox games I would like to try would be maybe Halo, and the Fonza motor sport. other then that I believe most of the other games you can get for PS2 as well.... besides not a big fan of Bill Gates, so I really don't want to give him more money (like it matters now) The only thing I don't like about Sony products are their damn lasers. They all seem to not want to work after a year or so, hence why I bought a HDD. but like you said I myself don't own an Xbox, so I can't really bash the Xbox.

go4saket

Thanks a lot for the info... BTW, how long does it take to load the CD...Moreover, I am a bit confused...Should I go for a graphics card or for PS2... Please help...

Liggy

... Gauravakaasid ...
Well if you have an old PS2 and you need the network adapter. On the net adapter it actuall says HDD on it. so you unscrew that and you will notice it has a fitting to plug the HDD in. then you will need to buy (unless you have a modchip, in which case you can use a burned disk) HDAvance or swapmagic. for the new PS2 (slims) I believe you can use USBExtreme to plug into a USB HDD or buy an adapter (USB to IDE) and the disk. *hdadvance.com/ for more info.
...go4saket... if you go for the PS2 and you don't want to void the warrenty on the PS2 get a HDD and the software mentioned above, plus you will need to find SMS player (2.2 is the latest) and ulaunchElf (ver 4.12) ( can be found at *www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=ps2.html . if you buy a vid card for your computer remember if you want to watch on your tv you will need to run audio and video cables from PC to TV... Oh you might actually be able to get away with not buying a HDD, and be able to put launchelf and SMS on a memory card (more tricky though) and buy a flash drive 1 GB or bigger then you can just load the vidz of the flash drive (thats the easiest way for me) that way you don't fill up the HDD with movies, unless you want to. hope that helps.

djfonti

First post, so hi all. Thanks alot slash for the help because this is exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

However there are a few things I need to know, so if you could forgive my ignorance, I hope you can help.

I now know it is possible to use a ps2 as a platform for which to play divx files on a TV. But I only have the following...

1) a PS2

2) Swap Magic, cd and dvd discs.

What I want to know is, is there any way of playing divx files on my PS2 with just said tools, or do I need anything else. If so, what do I need and can someone either point me in the direction of a idiot-friendly guide or just post one themselves.

Is it even possible to do this without a modchip?

Thanks for reading and mostly for any help that you may give...:)

Last edited:

Liggy

***djfonti***
read my post above, no you do not need a mod chip, I would recommend getting a HDD (cuz thats what I have and I could walk you through the steps), but not neccessary, (just means you would need to have certain programs on a memory card, or possibly on the CD, check out both websites mentioned above ( the second one is where you are going to get the majority of the software (like SMS player, and launchelf), they also have a good forum on there to help you.... ahh give me a bit and I will see what needs to be done with out the HDD ( I know it's a pain in the....), hence why I recommend th HDD.

Kaitenv

Playstation says it isn't a vald disk/ What kind of mods do I need to do before I use this?

Last edited:

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
gauravakaasid said:
thnx Liggy fer the info....but nw need to get hold of the ps2 all the more :D

He buddy did u get that coveted PS2 from krrrish yet??? How much did he l;);)t you...:D ???

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --
Few doubts :-
1. Cost of ps2 in delhi (preferrably pallika).
2. Cot of memory card
3. Can i use my usb hard disk with it ?

rb_kaustuv

BW Waster Certified
hemant_mathur said:
Few doubts :-
1. Cost of ps2 in delhi (preferrably pallika).
2. Cot of memory card
3. Can i use my usb hard disk with it ?

1.6.5k ~ 7K or maybe lower
2.500 ~ 550
3.Yes

Hope members from delhi will be able to help further... :D

Liggy

Kaitenv said:
Playstation says it isn't a vald disk/ What kind of mods do I need to do before I use this?

can you be a bit more specifc, as to what kind of disk you're using and what mods/software your ps has...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom