Planning to drop a year.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
So i got 49k rank in AIEEE, i know thats bad and now what i was expecting at all totally. So i screwed up my career etc.. I am seriously thinking of dropping a year to prepare for all the competitive exams again with proper guidance and self effort. I know i wont get below 35k next yeat, but what i get above it is the real question. I also may try for IIT-JEE and BITSAT.

please suggest other tests which i should give. so i can prepare in advance and fill the forms early.

papul1993

not a newbie.....
I got 91k rank in AIEEE. Planning a year of coaching for IIT-JEE. Then will try to get into IISc, IISER etc.

If you plan on giving a year drop, my advice is work very hard for the year. I am sure you will crack it. :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Try for state quota seats. 49k can fetch you good college IMO, as state rank would be something 5k ?!?

I feel BITSAT is bit harder than AIEEE as the cut off goes too high. Plus seats are very less.

IISc is totally a different story,on par with IITs, and frankly, its not for everybody. DOn't just go by its name. You should know how good you can do.

Lastly drop ONLY & ONLY if you're determined to study much harder this time. Most of the students end up doing even worse or hardly better. Reason is lack of zeal and studying same things again doesn't seems interesting (and its true for everyone).

OP
NoasArcAngel

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
I studied only 4 months for class 11 (competition) + 12 (competition) + 12 (boards)

and only like 5 hours or so a day.

state rank - 4k

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
4 months, 5 hrs a day are not bad if done consistently. It can't fetch you IIT/IISC/ or <10k in AIEEE but still you could have expected 20-30k rank depending on your intelligence. If you get 'brand' good college through state quota, then grab it, otherwise you're wise enough I guess.

OP
NoasArcAngel

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
thats exactly what i was expecting, but did not turn out that way.

i dont think you got it? I studied 11 complete with 12 in 4 months from scratch.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
I would not suggest a drop at all, unless you have no further intention of any further studies whatsoever after your undergraduate degree. It makes a difference there. Try for whatever opportunity you get right now. A drop should be the last option.

Minion

Conversation Architect
I would not suggest a drop at all I have seen people dropping for a year a and so they got worst rank than they got before 1 year.

saswat23

Human Spambot
49k is a good rank buddy. You can surely get into good Private colleges.
Dropping a year for engg. is not at all a good option unless you dont have any other option.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
drop only if you are sure that you would be able to get <10K next time.
Also keep in mind that if you drop out, you will be dealing with huge amount of pressure throughout the year. The format is also changing next year thanks to our dear Sibbal which IMHO will only increase the pressure upon the students.

Last edited:

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Try for state quota seats. 49k can fetch you good college IMO, as state rank would be something 5k ?!?

I feel BITSAT is bit harder than AIEEE as the cut off goes too high. Plus seats are very less.

IISc is totally a different story,on par with IITs, and frankly, its not for everybody. DOn't just go by its name. You should know how good you can do.

Lastly drop ONLY & ONLY if you're determined to study much harder this time. Most of the students end up doing even worse or hardly better. Reason is lack of zeal and studying same things again doesn't seems interesting (and its true for everyone).
AFAIK IISc does not offer undergraduate BE/B Tech Degrees...

@OP : If you drop, you will have to give board exams again next year (unless you are happy with your board marks and sure that they will fetch you a place in the top percentile or so)which has 40% weightage and there is no AIEEE/CET etc...so only one chance to make it or break it..so my advice is to get in any good college through management quota. BITSAT cut offs are soaring high..I expect a min of 360 cutoff at pilani campus this year. Not meant to discourage you though. BITSAT might join ISEET also in that case it will be a big mess with reservations diluting 50% of seats in all the top institutions. ( I say "diluting" because of unfairly low cut offs for some "reserved" people).

Last edited:

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
i also got 44k rank but i'm not taking drop... next year ISEET will come into action so the competition will be tougher...

mitraark

Decrepit
Drop is somewhat of a risk and 49k IMO is not much of a reason to leave out a year. Even you have the capability to crack into 10k in normal situation , studying in a dropped year is a different matter altogether ....

drop only if you are sure that you would be able to get <10K next time.
Also keep in mind that if you drop out, you will be dealing with huge amount of pressure throughout the year. The format is also changing next year thanks to our dear Sibbal which IMHO will only increase the pressure upon the students.

This. You can't be sure of what twisted curriculum might be introduced in the coming years which might leave our current preparation completely obsolete .

kolsomu

Right off the assembly line
See, u have to balance ur priorities. Me too faced same situation , though 20yrs back. But the life was completely different then, i do not see any reason why a student could not make career in General Stream. There are so many opportunities, even after ur BScs you can switch to Engg or technical stream. I suggest if ur are sure to have a very good rank in AIEEE , then drop a year , otherwise go for general stream like B Sc .

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)

+1 to that.I'm a living example of this..I got 6.5k in aieee 2010 and got metallurgy at NIT Warangal.Didn't qualify in IIT that year and missed it by 2 marks.
Dont know what sort of evil senses prevailed over me,despite every protest from my parents,I dropped and in aieee 2011,I got rAnk around 26k and ended up at Mesra(luckily saved,but still Warangal was better).The point of interest was the prime reason for my failure.
Another of my friend took 3 Attempts and his rank only worsened from 100k to 106k to 185k in aieee 2010,2011 &2012 respectively.
So my advice would be to try to get one of the NIT's from home state quota.Trust me,even if you get into a good college next year,you'll feel as if you've lost self confidence and a bit of yoir brain.

Last edited:
OP
NoasArcAngel

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
can anyone suggest me good pvt colleges?? I am already getting jaypee noida is it good any ideas? Reviews or friends studying there??

nims11

BIOS Terminator
+1 to that.I'm a living example of this..I got 6.5k in aieee 2010 and got production in NIT Warangal.Didn't qualify in IIT that year and missed it by 2 marks.
Dont know what sort of evil senses prevailed over me,despite every protest from my parents,I dropped and in aieee 2011,I got rAnk around 26k and ended up at Mesra(luckily saved,but still Warangal was better).The point of interest was the prime reason for my failure.
Another of my friend took 3 Attempts and his rank only worsened from 100k to 106k to 185k in aieee 2010,2011 &2012 respectively.
So my advice would be to try to get one of the NIT's from home state quota.Trust me,even if you get into a good college next year,you'll feel as if you've lost self confidence and a bit of yoir brain.

what were you getting in warangal at 6.5K? i got 6.4K in AIEEE and ended up in Mesra as well (CSE).

Last edited:
Top Bottom