Pirates Buy x10 times more music than Non-Pirates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
*gizmodo.com/5219587/study-finds-pirates-buy-10x-more-music-online-than-non+pirates

A study from the BI Norwegian School of Management has found that those who download free music from services like BitTorrent are also the biggest legitimate consumers of downloadable music.

In fact, among all 1,901 Norway-based study participants (all of whom were over the age of 15), it was found that those who downloaded "free" music were 10x more likely to download pay music. In other words, music pirates are the music industry's largest online consumers.

Note: "Free" music obviously implies pirated music, but it also encompasses legitimate free music download services.

The findings also included that, in the 15-20 age range, 50% of participants had bought a CD in the last six months. So that trusty format isn't dead quite yet.

Since we relied on Google's translation from the original Norwegian, anyone who speaks the language is encouraged to glean for more specifics and post them in the comments. [Survey and BMI Thanks Jon!]

IRONY STRIKES AGAIN

:-D:-D:-D

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^dats true...I always try to add the original disks to my collection when ever I get a chance.

Last edited:

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
I think Music industry would rather prefer Pirates not buying original music for the given purpose and then pirating.

Me too as a rule try to buy legitimate music whenever i feel its worth it.

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
Aisa toh hona hi tha :D

Only some guys who r newbie in computer world buy music or app or other stuff and other download them from *cough* :lol:

jxcess3891

Evil mind
What surprises is me is that, in this age of torrents how come there are so many non-pirates in existence? Don't they have internet in their countries?

I feel the music/ movie industry shud change with the times. Look at the television industry, they provide almost next to free entertainment by inserting ad breaks in between their programs. The music/ movie industry shud also follow this concept. When making a movie/ music video they shud put clips or logos of ads of their sponsors in between their films and provide free downloads to all users. In this way, they can make huge multi-million dollar deals with their sponsors as the viewership for free entertainment will far exceed those of the current viewers who pay for their entertainment by buying movie tickets or music cds.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Aisa toh hona hi tha :D

Only some guys who r newbie in computer world buy music or app or other stuff and other download them from *cough* :lol:

I totally disagree....! I am into computers since 1996 !!!And i still carry loads from Planet M even today.

Ofcourse i do lots of torrenting however.....you misread the object of me buying good music from store.

Its not the one doest know from where to source the Music. Its about something called Ethics.

I mean how can one not buy original Slumdog Millionaire Cd and as a mark of some respect pay something to A R Rehman. Same about PINK FLOYD.Its sacrilege to not own the originals.

But then ofcourse if one needs Hindi DTS 5.1 Music i dont know any other way but to download from the Internet, however if it were available in the Store i for one would def Buy it from Store(But those are pretty rare).

So guys out there, if you really like the music please please encourage the Music directors by buying their music .Thwart Piracy to some extent. People deserve it ! :)

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^ I love Pink Floyd too. ;)
----

This is one of the most interesting surveys I have come across in recent times.
Although I do believe that people buying 'original' outweigh people going the other way.

Krazzy Warrior

"Aal Izz Well"
I totally disagree....! I am into computers since 1996 !!!And i still carry loads from Planet M even today.

Ofcourse i do lots of torrenting however.....you misread the object of me buying good music from store.

Its not the one doest know from where to source the Music. Its about something called Ethics.

I mean how can one not buy original Slumdog Millionaire Cd and as a mark of some respect pay something to A R Rehman. Same about PINK FLOYD.Its sacrilege to not own the originals.

But then ofcourse if one needs Hindi DTS 5.1 Music i dont know any other way but to download from the Internet, however if it were available in the Store i for one would def Buy it from Store(But those are pretty rare).

So guys out there, if you really like the music please please encourage the Music directors by buying their music .Thwart Piracy to some extent. People deserve it ! :)

To be frank! Many Digitians will say u stupid and fool wasting money for free thing!

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
but seriously i now some frens, who dun care to get pirated games or s/w, but has an urge to get original movie discs and original discs of some of his fav musics no matter for what price. He even hate to tell other that he buys those original. He is not doin to to honor the artist or directors or nybody, just for his satisfaction. He makes stupid reasons to his frens for doin this like HQ is assured, cover is gr8, got some discounts n all.

u cant have a debate over this as it depends on ur taste and mentality.

gaurav_indian

CG Artist

*img129.imageshack.us/img129/3589/a013.gif*img129.imageshack.us/img129/3589/a013.gif

If you want to show off your music collection , the only way for you is to buy original discs

anyway music discs are not as costly as they used to be .... in fact they are pretty cheap now ......

rosemolr

Journeyman
They are Getting millions through their Music..Why should we make them multibillionare.. Piracy Rocks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom