Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Like corruption, piracy too is spread by the people.

Today, I had my practicals, I had to make a web page in HTML. I popped in my Knopppix CD to run kate. The instructor first saw and told me do it in notepad, I explained to him that it was Open Source and not a pirated copy, after all, kate is much better to make HTML files. He told me to use the Windows on the PC (pirated one) and not to use Linux again.

Logon ka bhala karne jao and then get brickbatted. Hence, nothing can be done to curb Piracy altogether. It will still exist in some or the other form.

vs_sriram

3D Artist
Yeah...and SKOAR! magazine has started donig this "social service" too....bunch of motherfu**ers...they have put WAREZ on their latest issue...lots of pirated games[including their cracks+nfos] .....sadly,the list of pirated games in the DVDs also includes the great HALF-LIFE 1....which is *worth* buying legally......the assh0les brought disgrace to India by putting a pirated version of Halflife on the DVD....

This is a *good signal* for Indian magazines to start a *warez* section on their CD/DVDs....so,eh,Digit,when are we gonna get pirated software on the DVDs ? :)

mediator

Technomancer
Hey guys........Think i'm too late in this fight club......Damn!!

Neways I think yeah....I believe piracy is no good.
Well to start with.....I say a person who works day n night to code a piece of software to make the lives of people better deserves money from the people who dont actually know anything about computer operating!!
BUT from another view point I also think....that if the person has posted a demo of his software on some site...and another person downloads it and explores it and makes it complete with his knowledge......then I dont think he has done anything bad! The creator used his knowledge to make a demo and the explorer or cracker used his knowledge to make it full.
But I wud call it illegal if the cracker then publishes the cracked software on the net or cracks the server to download the demo copy and downloads without the consent of creator ! That wud ruin the life of the creator. It shud be Ok if creator is giving demo copy readily available for trial use on website.
So I think piracy is legal as long as It doesnt harms the creator or the company's revenue or in anyway!

Last edited:

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
what a silly discussion! I didn't need to read the hindu to puke. I just read the first post and felt nauseous.

abracadabra

Journeyman
on this not i wuld like to add one more which none of you ever have posted or in u r wildest of u r imaginations gave a thought abt. Well you buying a pirated CD from a bazzar is indirectly funding a terrorist organisation, someone who has plans to hit our country or someother -- say the article in THE WEEK Sep 06 Issue

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Piracy is bad, thats true, but, I am not able to convince myself that it is really bad. It has been helping a lot of people get their job done without any hassles.

praka123

left this forum longback
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
Like corruption, piracy too is spread by the people.

Today, I had my practicals, I had to make a web page in HTML. I popped in my Knopppix CD to run kate. The instructor first saw and told me do it in notepad, I explained to him that it was Open Source and not a pirated copy, after all, kate is much better to make HTML files. He told me to use the Windows on the PC (pirated one) and not to use Linux again.

Logon ka bhala karne jao and then get brickbatted. Hence, nothing can be done to curb Piracy altogether. It will still exist in some or the other form.

feels so bad.get the instructor understand the FOSS in some way.:(

uttoransen

Broken In
if i buy original xp, where will the 6000 rs go.

right, just tell me, if i buy a original xp, my country's 6000 rs will go to amarica, that's not good. then what's the wrong in using the pirated. can anyone give any explanation of this.
Well to start with.....I say a person who works day n night to code a piece of software to make the lives of people better deserves money from the people who dont actually know anything about computer operating!!
BUT from another view point I also think....that if the person has posted a demo of his software on some site...and another person downloads it and explores it and makes it complete with his knowledge......then I dont think he has done anything bad! The creator used his knowledge to make a demo and the explorer or cracker used his knowledge to make it full.
But I wud call it illegal if the cracker then publishes the cracked software on the net or cracks the server to download the demo copy and downloads without the consent of creator ! That wud ruin the life of the creator. It shud be Ok if creator is giving demo copy readily available for trial use on website.
So I think piracy is legal as long as It doesnt harms the creator or the company's revenue or in anyway!

yes, you are right, but for microsoft i can't take this statement. from 98-xp. from games to ms office, microsoft is making so much money. just think of microsoft and companies like that, who are big enough, earns lots of money from these softwares. and then we pay then 6000rs for the exe. that's all.

the whole windows is an exe. and 6000 rs for that, is it not really too much. just think about the office package, will anyone buy.

for a home use, the xp should be priced at rs 200 and the office package at rs 100, and that too for non profit use. can microsoft do that, if no, then people like me will not stop piracy.

and if you tell me that use linux, then forget it, as that's not going to happen.

Last edited:

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
It is common nature to hate the big guy and to rationalize using unethical behavior to hurt him. But that is no excuse for doing wrong.

As far as the 'social service' aspect, you get what you pay for. Intellectual property too needs to be respected in today's world. If you really want to get a job done without paying anything, there are developers who are spending their time and skills (to thankless users by the way) so that users can get the job done without spending money. It would do better in the long run trying to find ways to encourage and bolster their spirit rather than demeaning the them.

The terrorist angle is new though. I am not really sure, but it can be a pretty smart anti piracy stunt too.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Re: if i buy original xp, where will the 6000 rs go.

uttoransen said:
right, just tell me, if i buy a original xp, my country's 6000 rs will go to amarica, that's not good. then what's the wrong in using the pirated. can anyone give any explanation of this.

yes, you are right, but for microsoft i can't take this statement. from 98-xp. from games to ms office, microsoft is making so much money. just think of microsoft and companies like that, who are big enough, earns lots of money from these softwares. and then we pay then 6000rs for the exe. that's all.

the whole windows is an exe. and 6000 rs for that, is it not really too much. just think about the office package, will anyone buy.

for a home use, the xp should be priced at rs 200 and the office package at rs 100, and that too for non profit use. can microsoft do that, if no, then people like me will not stop piracy.

and if you tell me that use linux, then forget it, as that's not going to happen.
You have free alternative, if you can't use it then you are not at all justified in pirating. You would have been justified if there were no alternatives.
If you feel a company is over charging stop using it's products. There's no rationality in your reasoning to pirate the softwares.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Re: if i buy original xp, where will the 6000 rs go.

uttoransen said:
Know what ? Thats one of the most dumbest question I've ever heard. Simple answer : Work in a software firm and you will know.

Just work and spend day and night to make a software, I walk in, pick up a copy and crack it and publish the crack on the net, now bid goodbye to your job.

uttoransen

Broken In
dumb????????

"Know what ? Thats one of the most dumbest question I've ever heard. Simple answer : Work in a software firm and you will know.

Just work and spend day and night to make a software, I walk in, pick up a copy and crack it and publish the crack on the net, now bid goodbye to your job."

ok, that was dumb, and justifing it is not good, but why i target microsoft. just imagine work day night, and then make a software, and tomorrow i launch, you crack it and put it on the net. is it so easy, can microsoft do nothing about it. microsoft just don't want to do anything about it. microsoft wants that either we buy it's products or we pirate it, but don't use linux as an alternative.

that's what microsoft is up to, if we start using linux in large scale then microsoft will lose it's market.

think for yourself, you are the richest man on earth, selling a cd for 6000 rs, and still can not stop piracy of it. actually microsoft never want's to stop piracy that's it.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Re: dumb????????

uttoransen said:
think for yourself, you are the richest man on earth, selling a cd for 6000 rs, and still can not stop piracy of it. actually microsoft never want's to stop piracy that's it.
It's not so easy to stop piracy. There's a certain limit to everything. It's not a dumb answer but a very true one, ever work in real life scenario and you will know what goes on.
Have you heard the saying "What comes up goes down"? Similarly, every software that is produced can be cracked. Show me one that cannot be. If it was possible why wouldn't someone make it.
People like you can just sit at home and keep on blaming all and sundry. If you think it's possible do it and show to the world, then we'll not only believe you but respect you and your words too.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and this wonderful thread also. I just want to add something. How about adding a hardware lock with a software which is needed to activate the product with every new installation of that product. The software must be activate once to use. This way one can protect his software from crackers.
Is it possible to crack such s/w also...???

Subrata Bera.

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Piracy is a crime!! If you distribute Open-source Linux CD/DVD, then it's called Social service.
Like @Mehul said , it's not so easy to stop piracy. MS is taking all the necessary action to
stop piracy. When Vista comes, you'll know!!

hanwant

Broken In
A quick definition of piracy:
Piracy is the theft, reproduction, or redistribution of a copyrighted work without the permission or knowledge of the creator/copyright holder. YES, redistributing something you got for free is still piracy. If you didn't create it, DON'T redistribute it!

Any views??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom