Piracy is Social Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AmbarD

i used to buy everything pirated like my OS my games etc etc
But now i feel so guilty
Now what i have decided is that i will buy only 1 game for 2000 in 1 month

i know i will get very little games that way.....
but thats the way my guiltiness can be cleared

Supposing 1 person buys a game for 2K and then when he gets bored he sells it for 500
when the next person gets bored he sells it again and again
Will that be piracy?
It wont be copying of the CD
Isnt this a good idea?
we can do it this way
i buy 1 new cd and give it to my frend after some time
my frend buys 1 new cd and gives it to me

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
subratabera said:
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum and this wonderful thread also.
Welcome!
subratabera said:
I just want to add something. How about adding a hardware lock with a software which is needed to activate the product with every new installation of that product. The software must be activate once to use. This way one can protect his software from crackers.
Is it possible to crack such s/w also...???
Subrata Bera.
Well it will be hardware level protection.
That can be broken into too. eg. mod chips for PlayStations.
Another example is DRM in Media Players
This just doesn't apply to hardware/software, try as you may to protect anything someone or the other will go step ahead and break the protection. This is something that motivates better and innovative ideas. I am not saying it's right at all but it does in fact cause people to improve, that is why hacker culture is considered at the forefront of technological innovation.

uttoransen

Broken In
xp cd have unique serials,

if xp cd had unique serials then why dose all the xp cd, or atleast all those i have tried, are cracked by a single cd key. is this done my microsoft purpose fully, i don't know about other softwares but the bigger firms can make softwares uncrackable, but the don't. the reason i have already posted.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Long enough fight, now I will present you with both sides and/or comment on the points stated so far.

1)Piracy is a crime, not a social service. You are stealing something and for filling your demands not for your existence. When there is freeware involved, this is clearly stealing and even when when everything is highly priced, it is still stealing. 30yrs back not everybody could afford a car, so you steal it, right?

2)Yes, pirates do help the poor, which is 99% of the people. None of us can afford to buy orignal software, at most orignal XP, that's it. But we are still commiting a crime and you shouldn't be encouraging this. In fact had I been grown up and in the age of 25-30, I would have bought most of the common software as orignal and if I were really rich I would even buy 3D Max and all orignal.

3)Companies should price their softwares according to the region which helps both us and the company. Had XP been priced at Rs.1000 and office at Rs.2000, then one could be expected to only buy the orignal version.

4)desertwind's example is perfect, that Taj and drug example.

5)Yes piracy does cost companies and reduces employment, we could be next to have our companies closed and bankrupt.

6)As for being poor, if the want the software, they will buy it whether or not it costs them and arm and leg or not. And in case they wouldn't then they must realize the inconveniece caused by other software.

7)Also, I don't think there is anybody who can't afford orgnal music and dvds, it is just your attitude and laziness.

mediator

Technomancer
Awwwwwhh..............Not meeeeh! Mummy!
@uttorasen....Why did u support me?? I clearly stated that I'm against piracy.
What is there u found so interesting to support me?? Please dont associate me with u. Pleeeeaaase. I have made enough reputation for mahself in the last 1.5 yrs. Why are u trying to take that away by supporting me by making ur irrational/insane/stupid/aburd posts here toooo??

Please people Forgive me.......I'm not associated with @uttora in this debate! I'm against piracy from the very start!!

Neways @uttora why do u keep asking obscurely that "Why is that Microsft....Why is it...blablabla" ? Do every one has to spoon feed you to make u genius or to remove ur ignorance??
Please read Digit, work in some software firms, work in Microsoft, tour world. That will really help u make some friends and increase ur awareness. Then u wont ever ask like "Then why microsft...blablabla". Bigtime! Instead u'll really help others than. Sitting in ur home 24/7 in front of PC on pirated XP in AC room having 2-3 pizzas everyday drinking pepsi wont wont do u any good. Instead mix urself with reality, the heat of summers and cold of winters. Be thick skinned! U'll really help urself that ways.
In each of the debates u go......people make fun of u now! I dont want that for any of the Indians. So I request u to improve like I advised!

Anyways dont try to quote me in this debate......coz its a silly discussion and its answer is well understood!
And I'm not in this debate. Just came to tell u not to support me ever anywhere and acknowledge others participating members that I'm not associated with @uttorasen's support!

Khamakha muje kyun marware ho @uttora babu??

Last edited:

EagerBeaver

Journeyman
If I cannot affords it, I should not use it. I should use freeware. I knows that. I also knows that it is wrong to steal. But still I uses pirated softies which any hardware seller gives to you. I dont even thinks about it-I just uses it. WHY ?

because what else can I do ????????????????????????????

mediator

Technomancer
@EagerBeaver......I agree! And I know ..no one using pirated will shift untill the laws of India become more US like. And when that day comes u wont be able to say "because what else can I do ????????????????????????????".

Better alternative wud be to switch to Open Source!

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think the government should make a standard for software prices in our poor...oops...low economic country. Cut down duty and other taxes.

The requirement in our country is: Food, Clothing, Shelter and Software (not always though).

Vyasram

The pWnster
vs_sriram said:
Yeah...and SKOAR! magazine has started donig this "social service" too....bunch of motherfu**ers...they have put WAREZ on their latest issue...lots of pirated games[including their cracks+nfos] .....sadly,the list of pirated games in the DVDs also includes the great HALF-LIFE 1....which is *worth* buying legally......the assh0les brought disgrace to India by putting a pirated version of Halflife on the DVD....

This is a *good signal* for Indian magazines to start a *warez* section on their CD/DVDs....so,eh,Digit,when are we gonna get pirated software on the DVDs ? :)

is this true :shock:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Software Piracy

Personally I am of a mixed opinion about piracy and legal software.I try my best to use legal software where I can afford it and free software where I can't. For example I got Windows XP with my laptop which is fine; OpenOffice is my office suite, more than enough for me, Avast Antivirus, CD Burner XP Pro instead of Nero,et. el. I was a proud user of a computer without a single pirated software...until the time came.

But when I went into a all legal revolution I faced many bottlenecks. My IT papers are based on MS Office. In that case if I answer my exams on OpenOffice ,I'd fail. So to get practice I was forced to get MS Office, pirated of course as I can't afford it in any case. Some companies advertise knowledge of Adobe Photoshop for a graphics artist. If a person goes in and tells the interviewers he/she used GIMP he doesn't get selected. I ask, is a person with GIMP experience worse than a person with a pirated Adboe Photoshop experience? I had convinced a friend to get off using pirates MS Office in his cybercafe and install open office instead. He did and everytime someone came for a printing/typing job, he/she'd ask for MS Office. Now most of them wouldn't understand OpenOffice is nearly same as MS Office in interface. He ended up losing a lot of customers to neighbouring competitors with pirated MS Office and finally ended up back to where he was - my advice backfired. Piracy has entered so much into the blood of Indians (including many corporates) that a person using only open source/legal software finds himself/herself at a disadvantage than people using pirated software.

So if we are to fight piracy, it does not help persecuting home consumers, after all they are at the end of a system. We should try to educate universities, IT Institutions, corporates to encourage using free softwares. If open source/free softwares become default softwares in institutions instead of proprietary softwares it would remove the learning curve and hence get better acceptance of free software.

Movie Piracy

I'll tell my experiences about this. I was a staunch anti-pirate when movies are concerned. Some months back I got Harry Potter DVD from Planet M for Rs.699/-. I liked the movie and didn't want to get it pirated. I wanted to back up this movie on my computer but the copy protection thing wouldn't let it work. After a few days of use between me and my friends it got scratched and wouldn't play. I was so frustrated. There was no way I could get it to work so my Rs.699 went to waste. Then one of my geeky friends showed me a method to crack the copyright protection and rip the DVD using a software. The simplicity made me even more frustrated. The pirated DVDs come without RCE or copy protection which means the person who buys it is in a win win situation. I, a genuine movie DVD buyer in this case suffered, lost quite some money which I could rather have used buying myself a good set of headphones.....I am after all a student and my budget isn't big. It is ironic, the genuine buyers suffer as they can't back it up because of copy protection, the pirate break this copy protection and rip the DVD.

Second incident occured when I got the Narnia DVD. I got the DVD for Rs.499 (a promotional offer from a reputed music store in Delhi) and went home happily, popped it in and then it wouldn't work. Whatever software I tried, Windows Media Player, VLC Player, it simply wouldn't work. Then I went to a friends' PC who had a host of DVD player softwares including Power DVD and still no help. I came to the conclusion - the DVD is corrupted. I went back with the DVD for replacement - the reply of the saleman - "The company doesn't have any warranty on DVDs". I was hurt, I spent Rs.499 on nothing, I am not a rich guy (I am a student, remember?). I just thought it over. If I got a pirated DVD for ~ Rs.50 and if it didn't work I could have just desposed it and got another one and yeah those dealers in the shop offer replacement too if it doesn't work. This two incidents made me go for movie piracy, even if I go knee deep to go legal in movies, the company doesn't give a damn about me. It keeps methods which frustrates a genuine buyer like me and benefits pirates.

DeSmOnD dAvId said:
Microsoft has helped by Introducing Windows XP Starter Edition for India. Who thinks it will curb piracy?? Pirates will crack it and distribute it freely too.

Did you actually try out Windows Starter Edition? I would rather use Damn Small Linux from my pen drive than it, it is the best example of crippleware.

anandk said:
stealing clothes bcoz u dont have somethin to wear;
or food because u r hungry;
or plain rape bcoz u like someone...

If a person doesn't have clothes to wear, I'd rather he stole clothes than walk on the streets naked, not a good sight.

I'd support stealing food too, if you're hungry and no one gives you anything to eat or the food is unaffordable.

I don't think raping is a display of affection if you like someone. It has more to do with a criminal intent or mind or degradation of women.

kirtan

Journeyman
piracy can never be social sevice.how can u term it this way?honestly speaking how many of you guys have the money to spend on expensive hardware but can't find a few thousand rupees to buy a geniune os.you just can't justify the fact that u are using a pirated software.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i am all for movie piracy .... we are left at the mercy of the producers and the theatre owners who charge at own will ..... which i am against ...

software piracy hell it shud be there ...... i mean i am no photoshop professional but i still require it sometimes for making my sigs, wallpapers, etc ..... sala uske liye thousands of ruppees kaun spend karega

game piracy ..... hmmmm i am waiting when carbon will be available for dwnld on the net

music piracy ..... i dont want to buy an entire album for just 1 song ..... so y not dwnld what i want to listen and then if it is available for free y pay !!!

piracy is a bad thing v shud not indulge in it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom