Phone for a new doctor? Budget < 12K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick

Ambassador of Buzz
As your friend is Doctor and now days Doctors to have to much pressure of work so as per me give him phone which is ALL ROUNDER with FM and MP3 which help him to hear his favorable music even as short as for 5 minutes too.

Doctor Sahib get recharged within 5 minutes and change is Mood too, you will get lot of bless from Patient and there relatives who make there Doctor charge very fast.:p

I don't think Busy Doctors have any time to use Symbian, even some time I found they have no time to attend phone.

So if he is too Busy Doctor or you think that he will be than give him Music Phone by Sony Ericsson.

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
I became totally enthusiastic when it comes to Doctor and Mobiles,I agree with you Windows mobiles are expensive.If they are economical(like imate SP3 10.9K) they may not support all software.I would suggest you to stick on to older Symbian v8.1 (like 6630 or N90 or N70) rather than latest Symbian 9.0(Nokia 3250 or N5500 or E50 or N73) as older has more software time tested.

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
Thanks a lot for such intuitive answers guys. I could never even imagine to have gathered so much knowledge myself by searching/googling. You guys rock.

@Mehul: You got me there mate. That "outdated" comment about 6630 came from my dislike for its shape. It has this weird pot-belly that looks really...well weird :p

I get the point about 6681. Also, 3G is not something I want. Not at all. According to your comments it seems that a black 6681 is probably the best choice for me. On the other hand K750i also confuses me. He is not the kind of guy who would go to a PC and try to install something new. He might ask me to install something for him but not by himself.

Can someone please tell me how easy it is to find applications for K750i? BTW my choices are now down to 6681 and K750i :)

K

krazyfrog

^^
As far as applications are concerned, 6681 is much better than K750i. K750i can only install java apps while 6681 (being a Symbian OS based smartphone) can install compatible Symbian apps along with Java apps. 6681 is light years ahead of K750i in this aspect. But K750i does have its own advantages and does many things better than 6681. But since they are not your priority, i won't be listing them.
So as before, i'd still suggest you stick to 6681 (black).

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well if you want that more apps can be installed then definitely go for 6681. I have no clue as to it's cam but I am sure K750i has a better cam and maybe sound too. But, for anything else 6681 will go better. And since N72 was there on your list earlier. I'd say go for it if you really want to spend too much, which I feel that the phone's not really gonna used that much. Specially if that's his first phone. It will make him quite a satisfied user with 6681.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hey eddie what kinda apps wud mostly be used on the phone? let us kno... we can then tell you the availability of the apps.

one more thing to consider is that, can he afford to format the phone in case of a virus attack (symbian phones)?

K

krazyfrog

Actually this whole 'virus' thing in Symbian phones is blown terribly out of proportion. For most people virus is probably the first word that comes to mind after hearing/reading Symbian. And all this because of stupid rumours spread by people who probably know nothing about Symbian phones. I've been using a Nokia N-Gage QD for the past two years. And in all these years i've never come across any major problems caused by viruses. There was once this CommWarrior which got in my phone, which made my phone restart a few times and all. But it was nothing that my Anti-CommWarrior could not handle. And my phone was back to normal in a blink of an eye. No formatting done. No data lost. No nothing. I am a regular college going student and like many others like me, i do a lot of sending/receiving of files via bluetooth every single day, even sometimes to people about whom the only thing i know is their bluetooth device name. But still apart from the one incident mentioned above, i've never encountered any 'virus' problems in two years. You might think i'm lucky. But that is not the case. Actually the no. of viruses for mobile phones are few enough to be counted on one hand. All the major ones even have an equally effective anti-virus available for them. So there is really no need to worry. So i'd like to take this opportunity to tell all the people reading this post to not shy away from symbian phones and consider other alternatives just because of this stupid virus threat. The number of advantages that symbian offers is even more than the letters in CommWarrior:) So don't worry, be happy and use Symbian.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
thats exactly what i'm trying to say. is he comfortable wid installing and using an AV? i'm saying this coz my uncle (a businessman) bought a symbian phone. he used it as a handy li'l digicam and used to transfer clicked pics to his laptop via bluetooth. BT used to be on most of the time... and a lot of .sis files also got into his phone....

he's a busy man.. he cudn't afford to clean the virus everytime which had become quite freq (not just from one location). so he gave up the symbain phone and bought a java phone. coz all he needed was a good cam, music phone.

so analyse ur usage wisely. every feature has its pros and cons.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Exactly, this virus thing is blown out of proportion. Just dont accept any files from unknown people! And even if you have accepted any file, dont open it! Even if you open it, you will be asked 2-3 times whether you want to continue! Then if you take so much pains to install a virus, you get what you deserve :D

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
OK so N72 is out of picture but last night I was reading the reviews of 6681, K750i and E50 on gsmarena. Well I must say that I am seriously confused!!! All three phones are simply awesome and at very reasonable price. Where 6681 and E50 have Symbian OS...K750i is an excellent all-in-one type phone. I guess the only way left to decide now is to go to various shops and actually look-feel how they are in real life.

I am indebted to you guys for giving so much insights :)

mehulved

Why don't you talk that friend of your's along and both of you'll make a choice as to which one to get. So, he will be happy too for getting the phone to his liking.

S

sariq

mobile-review.com is better than gsmarena for reviews. review of E70 is not there. here are links for review of k750i and 6681:-
K750i
Nokia 6681
i will choose E50 from these three. other 2 are outdated models. E50 beats 6681 by a great margin, see comparison between 6630, 6681 & E70 specification about camera is not clear from nokia site for E70.

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
I wanted it to be a surprise for him...anyways...if I'll be unable to decide anything then I'll take him with me :)

@sariq: thanks for mobile-review.com links but I don't see how E50 beats 6681 by long margin. Only main difference that I can see between two phones is that E50 has newer version of Symbian...

G

gxsaurav

forget all of these, he is a doctor, better give him a Motorola 1200 or A728, not only these phone have amazing design. but also they are handwriting recognition capable, something he will find a lot usefull. It also has real player, so songs can be played, Memory card too...big screen.....

K750i, N-Series, they are all good at what they do, but nothing beats the ability to write stuff on the go, which will be really helpful in his profession

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
I understand what you are saying but I don't have that kind of budget. According to IndiaGSM Motorola 1200 costs somewhere around 17k. No way I can afford that :|

Also A728 is not even mentioned there. Is it available in India? Do you have some ideas about how much it costs?

mehulved

But, is it within the budget? univercell.in shows the price of A1200 as 17K, though I have seen prices a bit lower in the actual market. But is it within the range? BTW, this phone runs Linux, that might interest you eddie. Can't find the price of A728 but again that's a Linux phone.

Stick

Ambassador of Buzz
LG, Samsung and Fly have some Nice and SEXY look phones in Mkt @Mumbai

If you can wait more look for Fly Mobiles, I personally see the model (not tested) very very sexy the only what I didn't like is No FM in that model. You can check Fly for other Models and definitely within budget models with Fly.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I use 6681 and I'd say it rocks, giving me no troubles for a year and 2 months now :D Get the black one definitely if you wish to go for this particular one.

S

sariq

eddie said:
@sariq: thanks for mobile-review.com links but I don't see how E50 beats 6681 by long margin. Only main difference that I can see between two phones is that E50 has newer version of Symbian...
differences
1. weight E50-104g, 6681-130.5g
2. screen resolution E50-240x320, 6681-176x144
3. internal memory E50-70MB, 6681-8MB

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
@Mehul: I read a bit about these Motorola Linux phones and there is one that fits in my budget. It is A780. Its features are comparable to E50 and 6681 except that it has Linux OS and has an in-built PDA. The saddest part is that Linux OS in these phones are locked. You cannot install Linux applications on them...just Java apps are available. Anyways, A780 is now on my list for phones to have a look at.

@Stick: Never heard of these Fly phones yaar. I wouldn't want to buy a headache for my friend...who knows how they will perform? It is better to stay with players that have proven reputation in market :)

@Harsh: 6681 is very high in my list mate. It looks like a solid phone but still need to look at other models.

@sariq: Ah...yeah you are right. Absolutely right. E50 is definitely a little better than 6681 but memory is not much of a difference here. 6681 comes with a 64MB MMC while E50 doesn't have one...so it more or less equals there.

BTW is there any performance difference between memory card and internal memory? If we add a bigger MMC in a phone (like 128MB in 6681 which will take its total memory to 136MB) will it perform better than a phone with medium internal memory (like 70MB in E50)? Does MMC in mobiles work like RAM in PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom