Phone for a new doctor? Budget < 12K

Discussion in 'Buying Advice' started by eddie, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddie

eddie El mooooo

Hi,

My best friend (kind of my kid brother) has just completed his studies to become a doctor and I want to gift him a cellphone this Christmas. My budget is really tight...max 12K and since I am a real n00b (read idiot) when it comes to cellphones I really need help.

* The main requirement from the instrument is that it should look really good but professional. Black is his fav colour so if it is available in that colour then it is preferred.
    * Must have a good battery life.
    * It should have decent organiser facilities.
    * If he ever wants to install some extra applications...they should be available easily. Symbian phone?
    * Everything else including camera, mp3 playback, FM etc. are optional.

So is there any phone available that fits the bill? I will be really grateful for any help that you guys can provide
    TIA

2. mehulved

mehulved 18 Till I Die............

You can have a look at Nokia 6630 for a symbian phone. But it's -ve points are mono sound, no FM and bad camera.
    Other phone you can have a look at is Nokia 5300 but I don't think it has Symbian OS.
    Also, SE K750i and SE W700i are good phones in the range but since music isn't your priority you can keep them out but just in case you need to have a look W700i has good sound and K750i for camera. And SE phones are really good.

3. krazyfrog

krazyfrog Guest

Go for the Nokia 6681 Black version. It has handsome looks, good quality screen, stereo music player, Symbian OS (can install compatible Symbian software and of course Java applications too), good quality 1.3 mpix camera with flash and sliding cover, EDGE Class 10 and has a very comfortable keypad. I think it'd suit you friend just perfectly and would make a great gift. Visit www.nokia.co.in to learn more about 6681.

4. dhan_shh

dhan_shh Member

If a Doctor is requiring a Mobile,then it should be a "Windows Mobile",as there are excellant Medical software (atleast 1000 in number) available ONLY for WM (Skyscape,Medical Wizards to name a few).Gr8 support for all e-Book format.
    There is NOT a single symbian phone which supports .CHM file,only WM does it.

5. snake

snake New Member

I suggest Nokia E60 as its the most professional.All kind of Connectivity features like wifi,bluetooth,ira.Symbian 9.1(S60 3rd Edition)And the best part 16million colours TFT screen nothin can beats its screen.But it does not have camera which according to me it doesnt matter as anyway mobile cameras are lousy and mp3 player in them are also same.You can never compare there quality with good DAP.So I suggest dont focus too much on all in one device but the device which can do its main purpose properly.And if u are looking for some FUN factor also I think nokia 5500 its has everything and its new model also.

6. gxsaurav

gxsaurav Guest

go for either windows mobile or Motorola Ming

The thing is, moto Ming will give him "Note" & Scribling feature, this is better then typing things & notes, such as to do or reminders, at a very low cost, unlike other touch screen phones. U can also give him Nokia 7610 if it can be found under 12k

7. Stick

Stick New Member

Nokia 6033

8. OP
    OP
    eddie

eddie El mooooo

Thanks a lot for the reply guys. So kind of you :)
    I have a few more questions for you though

1) @tech_your_future: Are Sony-Ericsson phones reliable? I have heard their build quality is not very good. Till date I have used only Nokia phones and moving to some other brand is a little scary for me. What are the -ve points of 6630 and that 5300 looks girly :| Are you sure you would suggest that phone? Which one phone between K750i or W700i would you buy?

2) @krazyfrog: Oh man...Nokia 6681 looks awesome!!! Thank you for that tip. I saw it on IndiaGSM and on the same page I saw N72. It looks great as well. Yes it costs 15K but what if I somehow increase my budget till that? Is there any better phone then N72 at 15K? What is so great about N Series?

3) @dhan_shh: As far as I know, all Windows mobile cellphones are very costly. Is there any WM phone available in my budget?

4) @snake: E60 costs >=18K :shock: I simply don't have that much of budget. On the other hand E50 looks a decent phone. What is your idea about it?

5) 6033? I couldn't find it any where...can you please link me to it?

9. krazyfrog

krazyfrog Guest

Actually if you can stretch your budget upto 15k, then you can definitely go for N72. But if you can't, i'd suggest you stick with 6681.

10. QwertyManiac

QwertyManiac Commander in Chief

+1 but for a little slow processor.

N series are excellent AIO phones, great to possess one, and they are definitely better than N6681 plus they are 3G-Enabled. Futureproofing in mobile terms :p

11. sariq

sariq Guest

go for N-series phones only if you want good video recording, else 6630 was all in all best symbian phone. E50 also goods look as per features and specifications.

First you decide you want symbian or not. you must consider extra weight and big size of symbian phones. non symbian phones are lighter in weight, smaller in size, works faster.

i have bad experience in symbian phones. one virus through MMC exchange caused loss of all my phone nos. :-( i sold my 1month old N70 for 14.5K and now i am happy with Nokia6230i. without any worry for losing my data again.

12. ashnik

ashnik New Member

If u want nokia then only think of 6630. BTW it has stereo sound. i use 6630.
    Gr8 phone, but w/o FM. also has more phone memory than 6680/81.

But the best bet is SE K750i..U can use Walkman headphones with it. Looks much better than W700i. Also W700i lacks the Autofocus which is very very imp for close ups..I gifted it to my bro few months ago....He is an engg student.. and a funny thing .... he just clicks the photo of friend's assignment instead of zeroxing it, saves a lot of pocketmoney. Autofocus helps.
    If he is not going to use symbian OS...then K750i it is !!

13. Stick

Stick New Member

Sorry for typo, it is 6300

14. Aberforth

Aberforth The Internationalist

Agreed. Build quality of Sony Ericsson w700 would be as good as N70 but as I've owned w700 for two months I wouldn't know. If you want a phone for a doctor I'd recommend one from the N series rather than Sony Ericsson w700.

15. OP
    OP
    eddie

eddie El mooooo

Actually I don't know if I want Symbian phone or not. The reason being that I don't know what advantage a Symbian phone will have over other phones!!! I just want my friend to be able to install a few applications if he ever wants to. Are such applications available for non Symbian phones? Can we install extra games and such things on phones like K750i/W700i/5300 etc?

Also, I don't think he will be recording many videos so does that bring any advantage for him in N Series? I have been going through lots of threads in this forum and looks like K750i is recommended by almost everyone. I am not considering 6630 as I feel it has become seriously outdated but another phone that has caught my attention is 6233. Has any one had a look at this phone? 2MP Camera, FM, 3G?

Currently I am looking at N72/K750i/6233/6681 (in that order or preference). Please tell me the reason why Symbian phones are so popular and give a little insight regarding 6233.

16. mehulved

mehulved 18 Till I Die............

Best thing about symbian is that it has huge no. of apps. and I don't think any other OS on the mobile platform has so many apps. But it has a huge downfall that it can get affected by viruses too, if the user isn't careful.
    On the other hand java doesn't have as many apps as symbian phones. But, I don't really think he'll miss much of the functionality of symbain. There are no viruses for non-symbian phones AFAIK.
    If you are going for non-symbian phone go for K750i. But since you said camera, music and stuff are last in your priority then I feel you should keep K750i out. As well as 6233 cos it's not a Symbian phone.
    So, that narrows to N72 and 6681. Well go for N72 if you can really extend the budget otherwise 6681. Well IMO, you won't really miss anything with 6681.
    BTW, what's so outdated about 6630? It has everything you need good battery life, symbian, 3G enabled. Very decent specifications. Compare it to 6681 which doesn't have 3G. I am getting 3G into equation cos that's what you want but I really doubt if people will be using 3G anytime soon. 6630 in fact has more internal memory than 6681. I don't see how 6630 is outdated when 6681 isn't. Here's a comparision http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=811&idPhone1=1046
    Now if you say N72. Yes it will definitely outclass 6681. Comparision between the two http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=1552&idPhone1=1046.

17. reddick

reddick Mobile Freak

Go for 6681 dude...cool phone n within ur budget...ur DOCTOR SAHIB gona love it :D

18. sariq

sariq Guest

symbian phones are usefull in case you want to view word/ excel/ power point files on phone. else there is not any significant application which you will miss in non-symbian phone. but as said earlier symbian phones are prone to viruses.

I have used 6630 and N70 both. main difference i found in features was video recording. in N70 it was 352x288 px, in 6630 it was 176x144 px. rest of the features doesnt make much difference. further the keypad of N70 was not comfortable - very small size keys, hard to press. for camera N70 has 2Mpx, 6630 has 1.3Mpx (which is more than enough for 6"x4" size printouts)
    6681- whats great about it over 6630? and 6681 has plastic transparent buttons with cheap look.

19. busyanuj

busyanuj Member

for the budget and requirements you ahve, the Nokia E50 should suit you fine. It's got a 1.3mp cam, sleek design + usual refinements and symbian OS.

symbian's OS main use? while you're lisetning to a song, simultaneously you can check your messages, or view your phonebook or do other things.... in one short and sweet word... it allows multitasking.

or you can also try the Nokia 6233. 2mp cam, traditional nokia os, stable software.

20. snake

snake New Member

ya E50 is good choice too go for it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.