PC restarts while booting.... plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
One fine day, two weeks back my PC started restarting while booting. The booting process continues till the Windows XP progressbar comes and then suddenly restarts. off and on i got a "disk boot error". Initially i thought my HDD had gone for a toss but it was not so. later i thought it was a problem with the power supply. and so i opened the cabinet and replugged the power cables of the HDDs (two HDDs). the fans seemed alright. after that everything seemed fine till tdy morning.

after 2-3 attempts my PC has started and thus i m posting this here.
can anyone help me with this. cud it be that my HDD is gone. or cud the boot sector have gone corrupt or is it a power supply issue.
plz help.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
the error suggests an MBR problem
could be due to tht or a bad sector on the disk

try replacin the MBR with the fixmbr command thru the installation disk

devarajan

Journeyman
vijay_7287 said:
the error suggests an MBR problem
could be due to tht or a bad sector on the disk

try replacin the MBR with the fixmbr command thru the installation disk
If u have problem in mbr mean the os will not boot u know that???He say's he can boot after 2r3 attempt's.If problem with MBR how dose it boot???Then how did u say problem in MBR????The problem is not with MBR.....

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
how do i use the command form the installation disk?
i have winXP setup in the HDD and not in any CD :( and if i burn the setup in a CD the CD doesnt become a bootable CD :|

devarajan

Journeyman
iinfi said:
how do i use the command form the installation disk?
i have winXP setup in the HDD and not in any CD :( and if i burn the setup in a CD the CD doesnt become a bootable CD :|

:p dude before buring the cd make the cd as iso image using nero and the save it.After then burn it (go with the option of disk saved image in nero express).If u do like these mean only u will get a bootable cd....If have copied the xp cd content in HD and burn mean u wont get the bootable cd.Any problem reply. :wink:

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
no sry. i dont have any source CD which has XP bootbale. the setup is jus in the HDD.
ok thats secondary man. i need to fix this problem. the restarting problem. if it is not the problem with the MBR then what else could it be?

devarajan

Journeyman
Ok.Better reinstall the os.Because disk boot error cannot be solved is suppose...To install the os follow these steps.

Step 1:power on your system and press DEL key

You will see a blue screen with some options on it in white. (you can only use your keyboard to navigate in this screen). Go to the Advanced Setup Options ---> then select Boot Priority ---> 1st Boot device to be Floppy drive , 2nd Boot device to be CD-Rom drive

Step 2:Insert the Bootable DOS floppy in your Floppy Drive. Press F10 to save the bios settings and exit. (Your system will re-start automatically)

Step 3: Let the Dos load from the floppy and A: shows up.

Step 4: Change the Command prompt to HDD Drive letter, it will be D: or E in which u have Xp cd contenet.And type If xp content in d:under x folder mean.D:cd\x and press enter.

Step 5: now type on the D:\ prompt -- setup.exe and press enter

Step 6: follow the prompts there after.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
hey man, i already have reinstalled the OS.
thanks a million for your help. i jus wanted to know what exactly causedmy PC to restart while booting.

thanks again
and XP setup does not start with setup.exe command @ command prompt

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
when i started my PC today morning, the same thing happened. my PC restarted 3 times while booting and finally somehow Windows started.
i had reinstalled windows yday. now what cud be the problem??

devarajan

Journeyman
iinfi said:
when i started my PC today morning, the same thing happened. my PC restarted 3 times while booting and finally somehow Windows started.
i had reinstalled windows yday. now what cud be the problem??

May be ur computer infected with virus :idea: Better delete all the partion and reinstall the os :idea: It may help u out.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
does anyone else have any better soln? i dont wanna remove the partition and reinstall all programs again. earlier i had jus repaired the OS

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
^^^
u say u are able to boot after 3 restarts
then do a virus scan with max heuristics
and if tht comes out clean, i suggest u do memcheck

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
whats memcheck??? is it a 3rd party utility????
its not running in cmd prompt.... jus thougt it was a DOS command.

nach p

Journeyman
have u installed any software before starting this problem ?
If it is then just remove the software.Any particular soft may be causing problem ,because I faced same problem after installing Macafee.Just check it and also do system scan with antivirus and also try to scandisk.
May be it can help you?
Post u r reply.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
i have done virus checks and scandisks. but the issue is not resolved. i dont wanna format or repartition my HDD and reload all programs .... thats why i m keeping that as a last option. :)

thanks for ur help guys.

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
sry for bumping up an old post.

yday i formatted my HDD in which i had my OS installed. i have 2 HDD 20GB and 40GB.
the OS was on the 20GB. i eve deleted the logical drive and made new partitions.

and loaded the OS. today while booting PC restarted while booting (i.e. when the windows progress bar comes)
same thing :(
the thing doesnt happen when I hibernate and and start the PC or when I Start >> turn Off Computer >> restart. (it was jus the same previously also)

why is this happening

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
This looks like some hardware conflict now. Did u have anything attached to the PC. It may be creating conflicts...

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
nope nothing
my pc is the same as it was 2 years ago. sud i change the processor fan???

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
some of the scandisk results in my PC after formatting and reinstalling OS

how come no one is able to get a soln for my issue ??? :(

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 4/5/2006
Time: 9:11:45 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ARVIND
Description:
Checking file system on F:
The type of the file system is FAT32.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Volume Serial Number is 1010-6482
The size of the \WINDOWS\ModemLog_Standard 19200 bps Modem.txt entry is not valid.
\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\xDB2.tmp is cross-linked on allocation unit 1043080.
Cross link resolved by copying.
\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB is cross-linked on allocation unit 1001051.
Cross link resolved by copying.
Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? Yes
136 KB in 2 recovered files.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
8169112 KB total disk space.
672844 KB in 387 hidden files.
4752 KB in 1124 folders.
2197428 KB in 13949 files.
5294084 KB are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
2042278 total allocation units on disk.
1323521 allocation units available on disk.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at *go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

============================

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 4/4/2006
Time: 12:20:18 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: ARVIND
Description:
Windows saved user ARVIND\arvindpr registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at *go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom