PC or Laptop or PC+Laptop Help!!!!

abhidev

Human Spambot
Hey guys one of my friend is looking for pc/laptop or both in a max budget of 60k. Please help.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'etcetera.')
Ans: Running linux for development softwares - RoR + chrome + firefox + postgresql + phusion(maybe)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: max 60k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Fedora Linux Gnome3 + windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 128gb ssd MUST HAVE

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: yes. 21inch

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: No need of Dedicated GPU.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: next week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: done by an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: mumbai. Yes. Maybe

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: My main confusion is that should I go for a good enough desktop which is like 35k + cheap laptop(25k) or should i go for a decent laptop only(55k) The confusion is that only a decent laptop doesn't have much power and ssd makes up for the entire cost. In case of desktop + laptop the only thing will be my work will be divided into 2 machines and I do not know how much that affects my productivity. I am really fine with AMD processors

ankush28

Bazinga
i would recommend getting a PC only :) if portability is not a BIG requirement for you!!!
Here is my suggetion...
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 19K
Gigabyte H87M-D3H @ 7.2K
G-Skill RipjawX F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL 8GB X 2 1600 MHz @ 8.6K
CM hyper 212+ @ 2.2k
Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD @ 6.2K
Corsair Carbide 400r @ 4.6K(or nzxt source elite 210 @ 2.9k)
Dell S2240L 21.5" 1080P IPS LED Display @ 8.5K
Seasonic SS12II 620W @ 5.4K
Logitech k200 @ 0.4K
Lenovo M6811 @ 0.7k
Asus 24X b3st SATA DVD R/W @ 1K

total ~ 60k

If you consider buying any HDD for extra storage then get WD blue 1TB ~ 4k
this rig can beat any laptop in same price range i.e. Y500

Cilus

laborare est orare
For developement of software in Linux environment, Desktop is the best solution.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the config suggested by ankush is very good but getting 16gb Kingston hyperx blu ram makes more sense for around 9k as he will be able to run multiple vms at the same time.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Ankush has suggested 16GB Ram only. I think you have missed 8GB X 2 portion.

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
Well after giving a lot of thought to the factors like portability and ease of management... My friend is now leaning more towards laptop... So can you guys please suggest best laptop for 55k with 128gb ssd...as already said development is a priority and not gaming

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
if you are going laptop way then
get a laptop + get a USB dvd writer + 128GB SSD + a adaptor for HDD for laptop dvd bay.

Remove the included DVD drive & install the SSD.

Then again I would suggest get a desktop cause you can play with it without a worry + it will last longer compared to a similarly priced laptop.
If you are going to run VM's then say no to laptop.

Decide if mobility is of outmost priority.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's some links for op :

Flipkart.com: Online Store

OP
abhidev

abhidev

Human Spambot
as the laptops with ssd are overshooting his budget...he might go with avinandan's suggestion.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
AMD 8350 based solution is also ideal for linux development, considering its performance in linux environment at such low price.
More than 10k can be saved on and AMD based config with almost similar performance.

Top Bottom