pc not working

Nemes!s

Broken In
Hi

I just assembled my pc but it is not starting... i checked the power and psu switch is on..still nothing is working...psu fan is also not running...any idea what may be wrong ? :cry:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Highly probable the on/off jumpers to the mother board headers have been placed incorrect. Follow the motherboard schematic closely.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
asigh, psu fan is not working. this don't relate to motherboard's jumper. does it?
Maybe asigh meant the front panel connections on the motherboard.

@Nemesis: Double-check all connections, including the front panel headers. As neeraj suggested, you can test the PSU in another computer, or temporarily fit a working PSU from another computer into the new rig.

If another computer is not available, here's what you can do to test the PSU by itself:

1) Disconnect all loads from the PSU - 4-pin and 24-pin connectors to the motherboard, HDD, optical drive and any other load.

2) Look at the 24-pin ATX connector and identify the green wire and the black wires next to it.

3) Take a short piece of wire and use it to connect the green wire to any of the black wires. Like this:

*a.imageshack.us/img835/4632/psutest.png

4) Now connect the PSU to the AC mains and turn it on. It should turn on and the fan should spin.

This is not a complete test as it will not test on-load performance. But it will tell you if the PSU is completely dead or not.

Last edited:
OP
Nemes!s

Nemes!s

Broken In
ok i ill try that but i have one question...monitor plug and psu plug says 240W and mt spike says 230w... that could be the problem ?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
ok i ill try that but i have one question...monitor plug and psu plug says 240W and mt spike says 230w... that could be the problem ?
Definitely not.
In any case, do you mean 240V and 230V rather than 230W/240W ? If it's V, that's the voltage rating. 230V is the standard domestic AC voltage in India, 240V in many European countries and 220V in some countries.

The 220, 230 and 240V standards are close enough that most products can use any of them. Most electronic products are designed to work within a range of voltages to allow for fluctuations. For example, an Indian product intended for 230V may work normally from 180V to 240V (the exact range depends on the product), while some will work from 90V to 250V.

Anyway, the voltage rating on plugs are not an indication of the rating of the entire product. It just means that the plugs can be used at that voltage or less. It simply means that it's not intended for use at, say 440V.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
He wrote this...

Hi

I just assembled my pc but it is not starting... i checked the power and psu switch is on..still nothing is working...psu fan is also not running...any idea what may be wrong ? :cry:

asigh, psu fan is not working. this don't relate to motherboard's jumper. does it?

If the computer is not turning on, does not matter what is happening to the PSU fan, obviously it will also not come on..!!..?

Guys its just a matter of him checking his connections and wiring. Why you advising short circuit / jerry rig method...? That is the last thing to do.

OP
Nemes!s

Nemes!s

Broken In
ok guys...problem resolved ;-) it was lose connection in one of the socket :D I'm such a dumba$$ :p

My rig is running excellent now... i'm posting some cpu-z screen shots...let me know if everything is correct or not ;-)

*img707.imageshack.us/img707/2961/cpuh.jpg
*img213.imageshack.us/img213/7753/memg.jpg
*img84.imageshack.us/img84/5365/mem2.jpg
*img444.imageshack.us/img444/3718/gpu.jpg
Thank you guys for ur support.. keep doing the good work really appreciated.
Thnx again

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
He wrote this...
If the computer is not turning on, does not matter what is happening to the PSU fan, obviously it will also not come on..!!..?
I did NOT say that the problem was with the fan itself. It's an indication of whether the PSU is not turning on or not. So it does matter whether the fan spins or not.

Guys its just a matter of him checking his connections and wiring.
I did advise him to double-check all connections. That was obviously one possible cause. But that doesn't mean that there are no other possible causes.

If all connections were OK, then there must have been something else wrong. Eliminating possible causes step by step is the well-established way of narrowing down possible faults.
Why you advising short circuit / jerry rig method...? That is the last thing to do.
That was NOT a short-circuit - at least not in the sense of shorting a power line. The green wire is not a power line. It carries a signal from the motherboard to the PSU.

Connecting the green line to ground is a way of turning the PSU on without involving the motherboard. The motherboard does exactly the same thing when everything is working normally.

When you push the power button, it triggers a bistable electronic switch on the motherboard. The switch connects the green wire to ground which is the black wire. The switch is a latching type so that it keeps turned on even after you've stopped pressing the button.

You should learn a bit before making disparaging remarks about other members' posts. BTW, the usual expression is "jury rig", not 'jerry rig'.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Pimpom,

I was answering Sam regarding the query. I know how the connections are configured but it is the last thing which should be recommended. I have learnt enough to know how to comment about others. By touching the headers with a metallic device you are emulating the motherboard+chassis 'start' sequence, but what if the metal device slips with or some other accident happens, with the PSU switched on. Its not that easy.

Please do not teach me English next time. The two terms you highlighted can be used interchangeably.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
^^
Pimpom,

I was answering Sam regarding the query.
No, you were not addressing only Sam. You said "Why you advising short circuit / jerry rig method...?" That was clearly aimed at me.

I know how the connections are configured but it is the last thing which should be recommended. I have learnt enough to know how to comment about others. By touching the headers with a metallic device you are emulating the motherboard+chassis 'start' sequence, but what if the metal device slips with or some other accident happens, with the PSU switched on. Its not that easy.
That's like saying "Travelling by air is the last thing that should be recommended. What if the plane crashes?" :D

Please do not teach me English next time. The two terms you highlighted can be used interchangeably.
A few people do use the "jerry rig" version. But that's because even native speakers of English make mistakes. In fact, certain mistakes are made more often by native speakers of a language than by those who learned it as a second language - like 'loose' instead of 'lose', 'it's' instead of 'its', and so on. But that does not change the fact that it is incorrect.

Most TDF members are non-native users of English and linguistic mistakes are common, and usually there's no need to correct them. I commented on your usage of that term only because you used it in a pejorative sense.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
If you want to put meaning in my posts which never existed, you are more than welcome to do so. If I had wanted to aim something at you, I have enough sense to put it in official quotes and say so. It was a generic retort to the TDF members, cause I see many of them recommending stuff off the bat. If you have ascertained this was meant for you and want to to pin this mark on your head, be my guest we can continue till kingdom come. I do not post in connotations and innuendos.

Traveling by air and the plane crashing is not a fair enough comparison -- figuratively or literally to a motherboard being short circuited as per my example.

Go look up what jerry-rig means. It made perfect sense to be used for this example. Just saw I gave the incorrect meaning for it, using Jury Rig. Okay that was an error, but I meant jerry rig as what I implied and typed.

Top Bottom