Faq

Where can you apply?
Locate PSK

What are the charges?
Charges

What are the documents required?
Documents Required

My Experience-
It was pretty simple and very transparent process.Now no need of pesky agents and paper forms.Before applying make sure you have all documents for Passport.

Basically you can apply passport in two ways - Normal and Tatkal. Tatkal is when you need passport with 7 days(including dispatch).Normal is preferred way if you don't have any urgency.The difference is that ,for tatkal scheme you need to get verification certificate from IAS,IPS (administrative )cadre officers which is not needed in Normal scheme.This is required because , in tatkal scheme , passport is issued without any police verification done(Trusting the certificate for your background).For tatkal you also need a Annexure(I) from a lawyer notarized ,this can be done from any lawyer for 100rs.

Applying online
Thinking that i can get through tatkal.I logged in online site.Downloaded eform.Filled and uploaded XML.This will create a application entry in the site for our id.Now using this , i need to scheduled an appointment .

Scheduling appoint - the first hurdle
To go to PSK first you need an appointment.So the site said, this can be booked against our application only from 6pm evening.So when i logged into site 6pm.The site would crash or would be slow like irctc.After many struggles , I could finally book a slot only at around 630pm after several refresh.
By 7pm the slots are over .Damn- the population of india.

Reaching PSK
So i applied first the tatkal way though online mode(carrying fee around around 3k).I scheduled an appointed and went to a Begumpet PSK in Hyderabad.I was sure i would get through as i got verification certificate from some gazetted officer.But on reaching PSK ,i was rejected token by these TCS guys who sit in there as executives stating i need to get it from IPS or IAS officer and not from research organization after inquiring from govt officials inside.(The organization issued it was not eligible). I tried to convince , but he told that even if he issue , i would get rejected.So please remember anyone going for tatkal scheme, just get this certificate through some agent or strictly from IAS, IPS and a xerox of the id card card of officer issuing it.They also gave me an option that, the appointment is valid for 3 days and if i can get a verification certificate and can go within those 3 days inside.Hmm so i ditched this , as i don't want to waste money to get verification certificate.

Went the normal way
So i had only now option of normal scheme.So then it was back to booking slot.Again booked a slot.Went to the same PSK another day.The security will allow us about 15mins before the appointment time for entry.
They asked only 3 things - Birth certificate ,Voter id and Tenth originals and xeroxes.Please make sure you carry a file and pen for these that is comfortable to show take them out and show frequently as it is asked about 4 times throughout the process.Make sure the address proof is at least 2 years old.

After that , i felt relived when they issued tokens after some questions.

The waiting stage
I now entered a new room, called waiting room.There was no place to sit.But was air conditioned room and was neat.People here wait for their token number chance to be called in.A lcd tv will show the current token number who has to come in.The place was ok, you have a xerox service inside,washrooms and an guy selling tea,coffee,and snacks.I had to wait around three hours here.I was standing around 1 hour and got seat for rest two hours.Then i got my number displayed on the lcd.The whole scene was like some kind of engineering counseling going on.Any way i moved into next stage after three hours!

The processing stage

Here again you have rows of tcs executives sitting and calling in your token number.They basically would would be like customer care guys.Except have a scanner and a monitor we can see details being entered.They would verify our details and ask for confirmation of name and address in the web app.Then they would take a photo though webcam and ask for feedback.Finally they take our original documents and scan it and upload.Atlast pay the money they ask.For me as i applied 60pages , fees is 1.5k.Then we need to go to another waiting stage for our token number called for verification.This would be another 15 mins waiting based on speed of govt babus.

Verification stage
When you get your token no displayed.You will be called by a verification officer (govt babu).These ppl check the details on the pc and see our originals and will approve it.If everything goes well, we will be told to go to granting officer waiting place.

Granting zone
We need to wait around 5 mins.Then Granting officer or APO will call us though token display.Go to that guy, he may ask some questions.Be patient and cool.Finally the APO granted be the Passport.I was like thank god.Then we need to go home :)

Acknowledgement
Before going out, we have a small queue for acknowledgement collection.After collecting , we can exit the PSK.

Overall if felt a good job done by tcs.The are very helpful right from token to granting for any queries.I got in normal mode in 1.5k(60 pages) and will cost 1k in case applied for 36pages.

Police verification
This is the twist.Here only money works.After around 40days after being granted passport, the police guy came from some special branch.This guy would first will call us for availability and come home.He came at around 10am after calling.He was pretty strict.I kept him 500 rs ready in a cover in case he asks as i didn't want passport to be delayed by this.He asked for my originals, thumb impression and signatures from two references people which we had give in the online form.After all questions, he finally went away without any signals to give money.I said thanks without giving money.He said - what would thanks give me and left .As i needed passport urgently, i rushed to him with the money cover and gave him saying forgot that.He laughingly asked , whats the cover and opened to see 500rs i kept.He said thanks and assured that i will get passport reaching home in another 20 days.He asked why i didn't apply tatkal.i said i didn't knew any IPS officer to get verification certificate.He said, it will be issued if we go to their offices by giving some request .I didn't knew about this. Anyway, i asked him to pass this though.He said , don't worry it will be done in 20 days and dispatched by speed post.

As said i got passport around 20days after verification was complete by speedpost.A sms containing ems tracking no and passport number is sent 2 days prior dispatch.Its better to.stay at home.and collect the passport personally om day of receiving as a sign is required.Or write a letter to delegate your family member to.collect it ,which need to be given to postman.

So totally took 2 months in normal mode of passport.

I hope my experience is useful for ppl applying passport

Visa

Will be updated soon

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Re: Pasport and visa related queries

Greasing the palms is common. I got my tatkal passport within 7 days.

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent

Greasing the palms is common. I got my tatkal passport within 7 days.

yeah man.I never wanted to bribe a bit.But i needed passport quickly, so no way than give money to police.At least the process of applying has become smooth.:) . How did you get though tatkal ?Agent or got certificate?

thankful to u for info

You are welcome :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

How did you get though tatkal ?Agent or got certificate?
I got the certificate from officer in Army without ID card xerox attached. No hassles at all.

My exam was scheduled on 14Feb and I applier near the end of Jan for the passport because passport was the mandatory proof to appear in exam. I got to know about that at the last moment. Otherwise, only option was to postpone the exam date.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
I took me around 7 months to get passport
Why? The police verification took ages. Then they asked for some affidavit for some spelling change in my name(different than birth certificate) and then these things took ages to process.

BTW the Regional Passport Office is one of the most crowed aroune. People from all over North East India come here for passports. There isnt another office. So there are always piles of paperwork for the people to go through. Very hectic.

Sarath

iDota
I applied for my passport in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh since most of my address proofs are from there. Since I was residing in Bangalore, it was quite a hassle for me to arrange all the documents and finally I got my passport in a months time, after a year of struggle from my side.

One month was the standard procedure and no palms were greased in the process.

It was a passport renewal for an expired passport.

Only problem is that it's crowded as hell.

Visas:

Libya: A yellow fever vaccine is mandatory, a certificate (small yellow book) is attached to the Passport. No interview nothing. I was a minor then so this might not be useful.

Dubai/Abu Dhabi, UAE: No interview. My visa was printed copy. I took the original Visa on landing at the Dubai airport. Cost: 1500(?) don't remember

UK: A small questionnaire, some finger and retinal scans and proofs of property etc needed. You have to go to the consulate yourself and submit your visa documents. They will send the documents by courier and charge you for the same.
Visa cost: 5k (?) someone confirm

Schengen: Pan Europe visa can be taken from any of the consulates. I got from Belgium since it's supposedly easier. Agent took care of that. I didn't visit the consulate.
Cost: don't know 5k?

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
I took me around 7 months to get passport
Why? The police verification took ages. Then they asked for some affidavit for some spelling change in my name(different than birth certificate) and then these things took ages to process.

BTW the Regional Passport Office is one of the most crowed aroune. People from all over North East India come here for passports. There isnt another office. So there are always piles of paperwork for the people to go through. Very hectic.

Did you apply online or through form?.Online PSK is through appointment only.So not so much crowd.Single PSK process around 2500 applications a day.May be you are talking about process some years back.Now everything is changed and privatized to TCS at-least in cities from 2011 i think.I applied in jan 2012 btw :mrgreen:

abhidev

Human Spambot
I had applied for my passport almost 9yrs ago through an agent and got it within a month...

Anyone knows whats the process for renewal of passport??

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
I will be probably applying for US VISA THIS November for the visit in May 2015,
I can apply only this november as I have my holidays.
Now probably My stay would be 12-15+ days travel +checking out the colleges..
Now my question is what do i do?Which visa to apply for?Do I have to write GRE?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I will be probably applying for US VISA THIS November for the visit in May 2015,

When are you going to college?
GRE is just for admission.
You can however give the TOEFL.

abhidev

Human Spambot

just get a Travel Visa...which will e valid for 10yrs

Hrishi

Generally when you get your admission letter from any university or college which qualifies , you'll be able to apply for F-Visa. Which is student visa.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Most international students will need to get one of the following visas from the U.S. government:

Student Visa (F-1)
Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1)
Visitor's Visa (B-2) and Business Visitor (B-1)

To apply for any of these visas, be sure to check the application requirements and procedures on the U.S. Department of State website.

Here are the basic documents you need:

your passport
your Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019), issued by the UC campus you will attend
proof of adequate financial support for your studies and living expenses

U.S. government regulations require that you use only the I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the UC campus you wish to attend. If you are sponsored by an international agency, then the specific UC campus should be listed on the form.

International students who apply for an F-1 student visa using an initial attendance Form I-20 or DS-2019 will need to complete form I-901 and pay a SEVIS (Student Exchange Visitor Information System) fee to the Department of Homeland Security prior to the student visa interview. The SEVIS fee is in addition to the Department of State's visa application fee. For additional information, see the SEVIS website.

Students coming directly from another country on a student visa (F-1) are limited to entering the United States no earlier than 30 days before their I-20 start date. Students already in school in the U.S. are not subject to this requirement. Please see your current school's international office for details.

When you arrive at the UC campus where you plan to study, you will be required to show your passport, visa and other travel documents. The name on the passport you use to enter the United States must match the name given on the application for admission. Consult the International Student Advisor on campus about where you should present the documents. The International Student Advisor will also advise you on the laws and regulations that affect your stay in the United States. Most UC campuses have a new international student check-in and orientation, where you will present your documents and get important information related to immigration regulations and maintaining student status.

Student visa (F-1)

If you are coming to the United States with the primary purpose of enrolling full time in a program of study, and your funding is from private family sources, this is likely the visa you should use.

To apply for this visa, you must:

decide which UC campus you plan to attend
check with the consulate regarding their visa application procedures
present to the U.S. consul a Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from the campus you wish to attend
provide documentation that you have sufficient financial resources
present your letter of admission
show proof of payment of the SEVIS fee

It may also be helpful to present a copy of your TOEFL score report, proof of professional and/or economic ties that would compel you to return to your home country and any forms or materials that document your previous studies in the United States.

Undergraduate students holding this visa must carry at least 12 units of coursework each quarter or semester. The accompanying spouse or child (under 21 years of age) of an F-1 student enters the United States on an F-2 Dependent visa. F-1 students are permitted to work part time on campus. F-2 visa holders are not permitted to accept employment.

Exchange visitor visa (J-1)

This visa is most frequently used by students who are financially supported by government agencies, foundations, organizations or universities.

If you have been offered a fellowship or other award covering your educational expenses, consult the International Student Advisor on the campus to which you are applying to determine your eligibility to apply for the J-1 visa.

If you qualify, the Form DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility will be sent to you. To apply for a visa, you will need to present to a U.S. embassy or consulate:

Form DS-2019
evidence of financial resources
letter of admission
SEVIS fee payment
related materials to the U.S. embassy or consulate.

J-1 Exchange Visitor students may seek work authorization for part-time employment from their International Student Advisors. J-2 Dependents may apply to the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service after arrival in the United States for authorization to accept employment.

Visitor's visa (B-2) & business visitor (B-1)

The B-2 visa is intended for tourists coming to the United States; the B-1 visa is intended for those coming to do business.

Students or exchange visitors who have been admitted to UC are prohibited from enrolling while in B-2 or B-1 visitor status. They must first obtain F-1 or J-1 status.

For all practical purposes, changing from B-1 or B-2 status is no longer possible while in the United States. You will have to leave, apply for a F-1 or J-1 visa and then reenter the United States.

Always discuss your plans with your International Student Advisor before taking any such action.

Source:University of California International office website.

Top Bottom