Overheating problems

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
Hi,

What about thermaltake? How much do 120mm and 80 mm fans cost now?

@ john_the_ultimate :

How did you cut the blowholes in your cabinet?
Where do the fans get power from?Are there any leads on the mobo for additional fans other than the sys_fan?

Please notify the total costs incurred during the process.

Gracias

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Well the 120mm fans cost around 40-50 rupees(local brand).
As for the blowholes, I first marked out the area to be cut, then with a drill machine made holes around the marked area(very close to each other in a circle). And with a little effort the piece came out, then smooth the edges with a grinding attachment. Installed the fan and a connected it to the SMPS molex cable.
The fans come with Y-connector so u could connect two fans to a single cable. Only the front fan is connected to the mobo.
So the total cost comes around 150-200 rupees and ur hard work.
One more thing the blowholes are cover with a protection grill. It costs around 20-30 rupees maybe less.
I bought the local branded fans. Does the work for me so no problem till date.

i have p4 3 ghz with ht techno.. i hav 2 hdds one of 160gb sata and another of 80gn ata.. i hav ram 512.. my comp starts with temp of around 43 and within 20 mins goes upto 53 whether in use or idle... it keeps rising upto 60C. earlier it used to be fine and temp was around 45C....
i checked both the fans and even replaced a fan with a new one.... i also applied thermal paste on the heat sink.. i removed all the dust using a vaccum cleaner.. i even changed the smps... still i could not solve the overheating problem... can overheating be due to faulty ram also???
i contacted my local dealer but even he is not able to solve it...
PLEASE HELP...ANY GENIUS OUT HERE!!!

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Well the temp u mentioned seems to be just fine. And if it's "prescott" then 60C on load is quite acceptable. Now coming to the point, which fans are u talking about and the 45C u have mentioned is the idle or load temp? Also remember this is summer season and if u are using ur pc in a non AC room then the rise in temp. is quite obvious.

Talisman

Right off the assembly line
The best solution to these overheating issues is buying the aftermarket coolers. No point of using stock coolers if u plan to overclock. And Pentium's are known to run hotter usually.....check my rig....my temps are 35 idle and 46 load....and I don't hav an AC in ma room. Just plug in some case fans...and u'll see the difference....and yes...Arctic Silver is a must to experience the difference...:)

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Well I have overclocked my AMD cpu with stock cooling and it works great but still to have the third party coolers would be great, specially the copper ones.
@talisman
How much did the Thermaltake Venus12 cost u?

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
thetopcyborg said:
hey are cabinet fans good, as my future cabinet is gonna have 3 of them

Cabinet fans are essential for proper ventilation in ur cabinet. Just having 3 fans is not enough, you have to install them precisely so that the cool air comes in from the low section of the cabinet and hot air is expelled out from the upper section (remember hot air rises).
By the way have u selected any cabinet then do share the info.

mario_pant

In the zone
ok i just opened my CPU..... took off the processor fan... and was shocked to see NO THERMAL PASTE! only dust and dirt! actually there was a very thin layer of thermal paste NOT AT ALL GREASY! sticky instead.... my poor computer... i'll just go buy some ThermPaste... but the point is which one??
Local brand or some national(indian) brand?
how much will it cost? i live in chandigarh.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
where is mumbai can i get these 60 rs 120 mm fans ? pls mention any shop at lamington ... here 120 mm prices were quoted as 190 rs ..and that's for a local brand ..

samanvya_ad

Broken In
I have a strange overheating problem...

my CPu temp never goes above 47 no matter what i do... i have X2 4200+ with 6600GT but the temp of my hard disks easily cross 55 and at times reach 60-62 also...
I have 2 fans in my caabinet one is 80 mm fan while one is a large 120 mm fan(both local brands) i have now opened my cabinet from both sides and now the temp remains below 60 but above 45....
I monitor hdd temp by a software called HDDLIFE which indicates all HDD temp above 45 as dangerous and gives alarm bells after 55 ....

What can i do to cool my Harddisks.... does their exists any fans for HDD also...

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
@John_the_ultimate:
Are you sure they are 120mm fans? Coz here even the lowliest 80mm fan costs Rs.40 - 50.

For hdd cooling, a blow hole near the hdd area or a 80mm fan placed near the the hdds inside the case will work too.

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
siriusb said:
@John_the_ultimate:
Are you sure they are 120mm fans? Coz here even the lowliest 80mm fan costs Rs.40 - 50.

For hdd cooling, a blow hole near the hdd area or a 80mm fan placed near the the hdds inside the case will work too.

Yes man it is 120mm since I have bought it and using with no problem till date. But recently 120mm fans r not readily available in kolkata and vendors r demanding 40-50 rupees (as u said) for the 80mm fans. I had bought the fans, maybe 6-8 months ago.

Cud u please tell me the reason ( non-avaliblity of 120mm fans...any guess)?

Last edited:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
To properly cool ur Hdd , u should make sure that a fan is blowing in air directly onto them ... and a fan pulling the air out directly or indirectly ....

samanvya_ad

Broken In
alright tell me....does opening up of cabinet harms in any way except that some rat or human can get in n break something.. Coz opening up seems to be a good solution as i even bought a cooler master 80 mm fan and have fixed it( by "jugad") near hard disk so that it gives direct air to harddisk.... though it is helping but not much...
Opening the cabinet seems to be the best n cheapest option ....

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
samanvya_ad said:
alright tell me....does opening up of cabinet harms in any way except that some rat or human can get in n break something.. Coz opening up seems to be a good solution as i even bought a cooler master 80 mm fan and have fixed it( by "jugad") near hard disk so that it gives direct air to harddisk.... though it is helping but not much...
Opening the cabinet seems to be the best n cheapest option ....

Opening the cabinet is not at all harm full......except for the dust that enters.......if u are carefull then u can keep it open.....(my cabinet is open most of the time :D )......

For cooling hard disks there are bay fans available....the fans slid over the bay of the hard disk and blow air on the hard disk......

I made one on my own.....i just took a cover if a plastic box and........cut it from the middle and mounted the fan...I keep it the bay over the hard disk...

I looks something like this....
*img141.imageshack.us/img141/1585/picture001if0.th.jpg
*img213.imageshack.us/img213/751/picture002pj6.th.jpg
*img213.imageshack.us/img213/5543/picture003lx5.th.jpg

Last edited:

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
I know every thing about asembling a PC but I don't know how to correctly apply thermal paste on processor. Can any one help me with a link having pictures or video explaning the process.

Top Bottom