Overheating problems

Vishw

Journeyman
Re: Crysis!

I've been reading various articles & forum threads regarding SB temps & almost all the posters/users have bought aftermarket cooler. Especially when doing heavy duty stuff like video editing, 3d rendering etc. & I'm gonna be doing lots & lots of rendering on this machine, that's why I'm leaning towards getting a better cooler. I'm pretty sure that stock HSF will never be able to keep it under 70-75°C at load.

Edit: I take it back, I somehow adjusted the stock HSF & its now keeping things under 70°C at full load! :)

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya

well ok
u better go for a cooler coz summer in india is hell
but u better buy a thermal compound kit too

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Can you run a RealTEMP sensor test with Prime95, and post the full run here.

Keep everything on stock. Thanks.

Vishw

Journeyman

Can you run a RealTEMP sensor test with Prime95, and post the full run here.

Keep everything on stock. Thanks.
^^ Okz, but what if it goes into higher 90s & I'm sure it will.. is it safe to continue or I should stop it immediately?

Vishw

Journeyman

I'll be damned! What happened here? Temps never crossed 72°C during the whole test! :D
After seeing those results, I tried the same render I tried this morning.. this time it completed & temps stayed around 65-66°! :)
Though, I have to say.. it's really nice & cool here in Pune right now! Only 21°C outside! But it's gonna cross 40°C in next 2-3 months! So... ;)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
What was TJ max set too..? Also you mentioned that you had tried to render something, and reached 96C. You sure of that. Your rendering could not have stressed more than Prime95. Also were you using 4x worker threads..

Vishw

Journeyman

^^
What was TJ max set too..? Also you mentioned that you had tried to render something, and reached 96C. You sure of that. Your rendering could not have stressed more than Prime95. Also were you using 4x worker threads..
All settings were default including TJ Max which is 99. Do I need to click on "Set TJ Max" button to set it properly?

Yes it did reach 96C very quickly when I tried to render in the morning.. but in the afternoon when I opened the cabby to add the HDD, I also checked HSF again for the proper fit & just to be safe, I pushed down on the HSF & all the push-pins a little harder.. so maybe that seems to have done the trick. & yes I was using 4x2 worker thread [HT is always on] both the times.

I did 5 different renders in the night & temps never crossed 68C! But it was nice & cool in the night with outside temps at 21C! It will rise a bit during the peak summer, right? What is the safest load temp if I do a 3k-4k size render, which goes on for say for 12 hours straight?

Vishw

Journeyman
Nope! I'm only using RealTemp now & I'm keeping it at system tray all the time so that I can keep a watch on temps!

Piyush

Lanaya
for the time being dont do any rendering or heavy cpu intensive task
and did u buy the thermal compound?
be sure to buy it coz it will be helpful in future too

Vishw

Journeyman
for the time being dont do any rendering or heavy cpu intensive task
and did u buy the thermal compound?
be sure to buy it coz it will be helpful in future too
Why, piyush bro? Did you read the previous page? My load temps are down to 70C now! Today afternoon I did a 2k render which took almost 90 mins & highest temp was 68C. Is 68C still too high?

Piyush

Lanaya
Why, piyush bro? Did you read the previous page? My load temps are down to 70C now! Today afternoon I did a 2k render which took almost 90 mins & highest temp was 68C. Is 68C still too high?

oh
mene dekha nai
then u are fine
happy rendering :)

Vishw

Journeyman
Thanks, asingh & piyush. :) But still.. if things get hotter in May, June.. can you pls suggest me few descent coolers for around 2-3k? I still have almost 26k left frm my original budget! :D

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get CM Hyper 212+ around ~1.8K or Corsair CAF A50 @ ~2.8K or Coolermaster Hyper N620 @ 3k

Last edited:

Vishw

Journeyman
Hyper 212 Plus seems to be highly recommended everywhere! Does adding a second fan worth it? Or one is enough?

Piyush

Lanaya
hyper 212 is good cooler
u wont need anything more than this

regarding additional fan:
it depends where u wanna add it
and whats the size of it
today most guys prefer 200mm fan in the side panel coz one is enough
or 2 120mm fans do the same job

its upto u

Top Bottom