Overheating problems

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagargv said:
hello ,
sorry i was taking this problem of mine to the wrong area .
I have a p4 presscot HT proccy 3GHz ,intel d101ggc board, 1gb ddr400 , xfx geforce 8600gt . one fan with psu , one with proccy and one with gpu . .
When idling or running net or something thats not graphics intensive my gpu's temp is around 65C . When gaming ,
the temperature if the cabby is closed rises to a peak of 100C and usually maintains in 90-95C . if i open one side of the cabby its max is 90C and usually is between 80-85C .this occurs while playing nfs carbon and most wanted . during fifa07 temp is between 70-75C and while cabby is closed in POP WW i get 80-85 C . I know these temps arent good for my card...

Sabertoothe suggested that there might be something wrong with the card or the mobo(vga controller shorting) . Unfortunately , all my friends have agp based mobo's and i am unable to test which is the culprit.

Further i am suspecting an improper airflow in the cabby as temp reduced by 10c when i kept one side of the cabby open .

Also , how do i know if the fan with the gpu is spinning at the right speed(its spinning ,i saw but i dunno if at right speed) .nTune says that the fan with the gpu is spinning at 675RPM which is very small compared to my proccy's fan speed.but i am not sure if its the right value as it said that fan speed of proccy is 31 thousand !! also it says speed of aux2 is 18rpm .

now , xfx customer care has replied that the card can run at such temps but its not good on a long run .. how long is long run ?? if its 3yrs , i'll forget abt this problem .

how do i decrease temp . .and do i need to ?
Also i wud like to note that the gfx card is not oc'ed .its running at clock speeds..
thank you..

It seems you are not having any cabinet fans. Try to fit at least one front inlet and one rear exhaust fans, preferably 120mm ones.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
thanks..
ok . i'll try that . but how can it possibly help ? i kept the cabby open and the temp reduced by 10c . so i add a fan and the temp will reduce only by 5c , right ?
anyways , i will surely try that ..

hey ,
and i can fix only one exhaust fan , i dont see any space to put an inlet fan in the front . mind telling me which fan does wat ? do they take in air or do they push out air ?

thanks.

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Any fan can act as inlet or outlet. The air will flow in the direction of the arrow marked on it. You can fix it either way. If you fix it in the rear, do it so that it blows air out.
Also clean all the components by removing dust, debris etc. and avoid clutter by arranging the cables, wires etc., thus helping better air flow.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
Thanks .
since i can fit a fan only in the rear , shud it act as inlet for air or outlet .
I've checked the cables and cleaned the cabinet.
Also , i wud like to know how much power it consumes . I feel quite embrassed to ask this . how do i fit it ?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagargv said:
oh , sorry i didnt see that . any idea of much power a fan draws ..
thanks.
Just now verified the carton of my Vantec Stealth 80mm fan. It shows 1.2 Watts. But their 92mm fan consumes a lower 0.84 Watts.

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
well with my new cabby n psu,no overheating problems rite now:).
try installing to fans,one to pull air in n one for sucking hot air out.tht ll definitely serve the purpose

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
oh , i thought they draw 100's of watts . so it was bugging me whether my psu will be enough .LoL.
Thanks , i'll put it .
hey ,how do i power the fan ?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sagargv said:
oh , i thought they draw 100's of watts . so it was bugging me whether my psu will be enough .LoL.
Thanks , i'll put it .
hey ,how do i power the fan ?

Fix it using the four screws and power it either from a molex (from PSU) or from the Mobo.

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
well,branded psus supply additional 4 pin connector(s) specially meant for fans.
its also strongly recommended tht u dont use those connectors to power up nythin else.u can also use mobo pins to power up ur fans.those ll be shown as chassis fans.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
ok . i'll get it today or on monday , any idea of its price ? like , if i have to bargain . let me know how much i shud . . .

abhijangda

Padawan
hey when I start my computer then in bios the temprature shown in bios of processor is 45 C and after 5 to 10 minutes it increases to 48to49. It's fan is running at 1900 rpm and it has no dust on it what can be caus of it also there is propr ventilation for cpu.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
^^ wats your proccy ? probobly its configured (by default , mine was too) , to start accelerating fan after temp crosses 50C , no need to worry . But cant tell much without knowing ur procy . .

sid_sh85

EXPLORING!!!!!
Hi guyz...i jst installed a utility called "speedfan", which monitors the temperatures n fan speeds of the sysstem....after installing the utility, i was surprised as well as confused by wot it showed....hav a look at the attached image of wot it showed....1st of all temme---
1)explain the terms ambient, remote1, remote2,etc...
2) Also i wud like to kno tht the remote2 temp wich s shown as 120c s enuf to smoke my sys, right????
pls elaborate.....thanx

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sid_sh85 said:
Hi guyz...i jst installed a utility called "speedfan", which monitors the temperatures n fan speeds of the sysstem....after installing the utility, i was surprised as well as confused by wot it showed....hav a look at the attached image of wot it showed....1st of all temme---
1)explain the terms ambient, remote1, remote2,etc...
2) Also i wud like to kno tht the remote2 temp wich s shown as 120c s enuf to smoke my sys, right????
pls elaborate.....thanx

Try installing the latest version of Speedfan 4.31

sid_sh85

EXPLORING!!!!!
i tried installing the latest version(4.32)....but still thers no change in the temp...pls temme wot s to b done

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
@sid_sh85 , ambient is the temp of the sorrounding . . mostly remote2 refers to gpu . .dunno

coming back to my overheating problem on my 8600GT , i wasnt in the house for 15 days and it took me 15 days to get that stupid fan and the vendor to fix it ( LOL ) . .. now while my case is closed , while playing carbon , temp is between 80-85C and peak is 90C . i havent yet tested with the case open . . is this better ? according to him(my vendor ) the prob aint with the g-card . there's a heatsink on the mobo just above the pcie slot which is passing the heat to the g-card . . .he recommends a more roomy cabby .. . i'll get back with the temps when the case is open and i am open to suggestions . . oh and he says the pci slot cooler wont help much coz the g-card is fan cooled and not passive cooled and the super extra heat is due that heat sink . .

and if i may mention , idle temp reduced frm 67C to 57C after putting the exhaust fan . is it better to let the exhaust fan as exhaust or make it to act as inlet . i dont mind keeping the cabby open while playing games . .

ok , i tested carbon with the cabby open . peak 88C , most of the time around 80-85C . .

Last edited:
Top Bottom