OnePlus 5T, or wait for 6?

1. Budget: 35k
2. Display type and size: preferably AMOLED, no size preference
3. Dual sim: good to have, but not necessary
4. Preferred choice of brand: any brand with good dev support such as Motorola or OnePlus
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera): excellent primary camera.
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc): Android only
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready): 4G with VoLTE
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc): multimedia, office work, camera, productivity
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration: OnePlus 5T 64 GB
10. Any other info that you want to share

I currently own a Moto G 2nd generation and it has started to be very slow with new apps. OnePlus 5T 64 GB is my obvious choice but I know a OnePlus 6 with awesome Snapdragon 845 is on the way. OnePlus generally relasesits phones in July but rumors have been in the flow that they may release it earlier in Q2 to place it strategically with competition. Also, we have MWC in three weeks.

My main issue right now is that -
1. With a new chipset OnePlus 6 may not be as stable as 5T. Remember what happen to flagships with brand new 820 chipset (over heating)?
2. With OnePlus 6 releasing, 5T may get a price drop as has other OnePlus phones in the past.
3. If the new chipset is stable, it will be awesome.

I may not be able to wait until June with my current phone. Please help decide if I should get 5T or wait for 6.

1. S820 was never problematic. the only problematic ones from Qualcomm were S810 & S615. Qualcomm has a good record otherwise. So it's not a thing I'd worry about because if that happens you can get old flagship even cheaper.
2. Price drops in OP phones were never more than 2-3k. Newer OP phones have been launched at higher price than its predecessor.
3. Most probably it will be stable. But you don't need that kind of power for a smooth phone. Even 10k phones are smooth enough for normal usage since 2 years now.

Looking at previous major launches from OP, June-July is a good time to expect a new flagship but it OP again releases a T version in 4-5 months of OP6, then consumers will lose trust. Many are already sceptical now as it has happened 2 times already.

All 3 of the below mentioned phones are great choice for under 35k, OP5T 128GB isn't worth spending money on.
Get OP 5T, if:
- You love stock android (it has decent amount of customisation though)
- AMOLED display (blacks are great)
- Want great selfie camera
- Hates glass back phones. Metal build is better IMO
- Want best performance (You would observe better performance in games over S821, otherwise no observable difference between 821 & 835).

Get Honor View 10, if:
- You hate stock android
- Want great selfie camera
- Want best performance (It is similar to S835 in CPU & GPU performance)
- Want lots of storage (128GB vs 64GB in other two)
- You want to save some money (30k vs 33k for other two)

Get LG G6, if:
- You hate stock android
- Want better rear cameras with OIS on main one (G6's 2nd camera is more useful than 5T's considering they even removed the zoom lens now)
- Better brand value & support (LG is a bigger brand)
- Better display than View 10 for sure. One of the best LCD displays with HDR certification, so its good
- Waterproof
- Would like a bit smaller phone (5.7" display is big enough)

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Get a 5t. You will keep waiting like this forever. Moreover they will release 6t in around Q3 which will be better than the 6.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I'd say wait for 6 to (at least) get announced. That would bring the rate of 5T down. Also, you would better be able to judge out of these two then.
It should get announced in March.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I am also having the same confusion..to get stable 5T or wait for 6...looking at the past record of One plus...OP3, OP6 both had lot of bugs which were fixed with OP3T and OP6T launched in october.
I want to get handset soon, and I am really confused :)

I am also having the same confusion..to get stable 5T or wait for 6...looking at the past record of One plus...OP3, OP6 both had lot of bugs which were fixed with OP3T and OP6T launched in october.
I want to get handset soon, and I am really confused :)
In a way, the waiting game will go on forever, but you can wait for OP6 if you want it so badly. I personally thought OP3 was ok but OP 5 was not ok because they didn't implement the 18:9 display. But still, OP5 sold a lot even though G6 was priced pretty close to it.

$hadow

Geek in making
OP is going to be unveiled on 5th May but the problem with OP is that they might launch OP6T whenever they will feel like which is really sick on their part.

Hrishi

You can always keep playing the wait game.
Go for OP5T unless you hate lack of SD Card Slot and One Plus (they have played some really dirty stuff lately).

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Don't go for op, it is crap. Yes I am writing the exact opposite of what I wrote a couple of weeks back. A colleague of mine got it and he is regretting it for the reasons mentioned below-
1. No call recording software will work in the phone properly without flashing a custom rom.
2. Apps like Samsung health won't work. Surprisingly it works well in other Chinese OEM phones.
3. The stock camera software, algorithm is crap. They won't do something about it because they are busy with the 6.
4. You will get regular security patches for few months and then they will be after the 6t or the 7 and you will be forgotten.
5. Paint chipping issue, google it. Even op admits it but won't do something about it, what a shame.
6. After public backlash they gave users the option of toggling on/off sending stuff to their servers in China but you will find some folders with Mandarin every now and then.
7. They are just copying the design of SHITpple. Period.
All the above points were raised in the op community and reported to the bug hunters of op but their reply was nonsene. They should change their slogan from Never Settle to Never A OP Phone Again.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I think google is responsible for Call recording software not working but im not sure. I remember I faced this issue in some roms on my old phone (Xperia M).
Anyone with pure stock android can probably test that.

mitraark

Decrepit
Don't go for op, it is crap. Yes I am writing the exact opposite of what I wrote a couple of weeks back. A colleague of mine got it and he is regretting it for the reasons mentioned below-
1. No call recording software will work in the phone properly without flashing a custom rom.
2. Apps like Samsung health won't work. Surprisingly it works well in other Chinese OEM phones.
3. The stock camera software, algorithm is crap. They won't do something about it because they are busy with the 6.
4. You will get regular security patches for few months and then they will be after the 6t or the 7 and you will be forgotten.
5. Paint chipping issue, google it. Even op admits it but won't do something about it, what a shame.
6. After public backlash they gave users the option of toggling on/off sending stuff to their servers in China but you will find some folders with Mandarin every now and then.
7. They are just copying the design of SHITpple. Period.
All the above points were raised in the op community and reported to the bug hunters of op but their reply was nonsene. They should change their slogan from Never Settle to Never A OP Phone Again.

I'm sorry that you had to face such issues with OnePlus, but if they really were that bad , they would have gone out of business a long time ago, let alone have a vibrant group of loyalists.

Every point you mentioned regarding software issues sound surprising since OP fans attribute its success to the Oxygen OS which works almost flawlessly.

Camera software is not the best but not crap by any means. You can try some other app if you're disatisfied.

Updates are quite regular, again, it would be unfair to grill them over it.

Paint chipping issue is being exxagerated by clickbaiters. OnePlus build quality is superb. A friend of mine still uses the OnePlus One since 2014.

They are guilty of copying design, undoubtedly, i guess its a chinese thing (?), anyway i'm not complaining, on the contrary they look great. Looks are subjective, so to each his own.

P.S. Don't hate Apple , once you get used to it you'll learn to love it.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
@mitraark

I'm sorry that you had to face such issues with OnePlus, but if they really were that bad , they would have gone out of business a long time ago, let alone have a vibrant group of loyalists.
Not mine. Yes, they have a bunch of fanboys who even go head over heels for even 8 gigs of ram.

Every point you mentioned regarding software issues sound surprising since OP fans attribute its success to the Oxygen OS which works almost flawlessly.
Camera software is not the best but not crap by any means. You can try some other app if you're disatisfied.
OS is good but why the hell it does not let other apps to work properly? Their camera is also good but the software is letting the same down.

Updates are quite regular, again, it would be unfair to grill them over it.
It seems so, I told him to look at my Samsung's patch. He had a 3t also and it was getting regular updates, so as compared to the past no regular updates.

Paint chipping issue is being exxagerated by clickbaiters. OnePlus build quality is superb. A friend of mine still uses the OnePlus One since 2014.
Paint chipping issue is real
[MEGA THREAD] OnePlus 5T Paint Chipping Issue

They are guilty of copying design, undoubtedly, i guess its a chinese thing (?), anyway i'm not complaining, on the contrary they look great. Looks are subjective, so to each his own.
Why copy someone, make your own design? They are using almost the same design of their sister concern vivo which copied from CRapple.

P.S. Don't hate Apple , once you get used to it you'll learn to love it.
Nope, happy with my Samsung vfm.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
There will always be Fans and Haters...no end to it.

One plus, Vivo and Oppo belongs to same parent company BBK Electronics.
They do copy design from Apple..so do Xiaomi (apple of China)

I still have one plus one (updated to LineageOS Oreo) and my Dad is using it right now only thing is the battery is not original now.
18:9 and Notch display is the new trend which all phone companies are following.
And now Honor 10 is coming will 100% full bezel to body ratio.

One plus one is growing but not a VFM phone company to look for, as its targeting premium customers only.

It should support call recording apps, right now I am using ACR Pro on One plus one and its the King of call recording (really)

Apple is on a different league of its own and once you enter its ecoSystem then there is no going back.(u can ask this question to any Apple user, not a Fanboy)
I do love both Android and iOS (started with ipodTouch 4G in 2011 to get the idea of what it is).
recently I bought the all new iPad Pro 2017 10.5 and its amazingly beautiful. (though there is some file sharing issue, but no deal breaker)
the only thing I wish is to try my hands on MacOS (which I will by using Hackintosh in future ;))

@OP: I would advice not to buy OP5T right now. and keep looking for phones which satisfy your requirements such Samsung, Honor or even Xiaomi.
As if your preference is AMOLED then your filter criteria is narrowed down to Samsung,One plus and few other companies who do use AMOLED.

Last edited:

billubakra

Conversation Architect
There will always be Fans and Haters...no end to it.

One plus, Vivo and Oppo belongs to same parent company BBK Electronics.
They do copy design from Apple..so do Xiaomi (apple of China)

I still have one plus one (updated to LineageOS Oreo) and my Dad is using it right now only thing is the battery is not original now.
18:9 and Notch display is the new trend which all phone companies are following.
And now Honor 10 is coming will 100% full bezel to body ratio.

One plus one is growing but not a VFM phone company to look for, as its targeting premium customers only.

It should support call recording apps, right now I am using ACR Pro on One plus one and its the King of call recording (really)

Apple is on a different league of its own and once you enter its ecoSystem then there is no going back.(u can ask this question to any Apple user, not a Fanboy)
I do love both Android and iOS (started with ipodTouch 4G in 2011 to get the idea of what it is).
recently I bought the all new iPad Pro 2017 10.5 and its amazingly beautiful. (though there is some file sharing issue, but no deal breaker)
the only thing I wish is to try my hands on MacOS (which I will by using Hackintosh in future ;))

@OP: I would advice not to buy OP5T right now. and keep looking for phones which satisfy your requirements such Samsung, Honor or even Xiaomi.
As if your preference is AMOLED then your filter criteria is narrowed down to Samsung,One plus and few other companies who do use AMOLED.

Even Xiaomi supports Samsung health but not op. One more point the prices of op's accessories, including earphones, are insane.
ACR pro stops automatically in the 5, 5t. Akhand chutiyapa.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Even Xiaomi supports Samsung health but not op. One more point the prices of op's accessories, including earphones, are insane.
Samsung Health App is meant for Samsung phones made by Samsung. Oneplus has no responsibility. If you have an issue, talk to the app developers.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Samsung Health App is meant for Samsung phones made by Samsung. Oneplus has no responsibility. If you have an issue, talk to the app developers.
Please read what I have wrote above, it is working in all phones including Chinese OEM one's except op. It is an Android app and will work in any Android phone. As per inputs from XDA, op is blocking it as it works in custom roms.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Don't buy those overpriced ones. There are plethora of good options available at lower prices.
As for call recording, it is present in custom roms. Not sure why you'd keep yourself restricted to OOS.

Top Bottom