One vs. S4 vs. Suggestions

mohityadavx

Youngling
Need suggestion for a friend. I am confused between One and S4. I have read the reviews but still bit confused. I have my doubts which follow the basic questionnaire.

1. Budget? 46k (Basically I guess no smartphone cost more than this I guess)
2. Display type and size? Preferred HD resolution, Also smaller the phone size the better
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip? Bar
4. Preferred choice of brand? Samsung, HTC, Ericsson, LG, Any Reputed Brand
5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type). Touchscreen
6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera. Dont really need front facing camera, rest whatever the phone has the better
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc). Android, iOS (maybe bit reluctant), No Windows,Symbian, Firefox OS, Ubuntu etc
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly. Wifi ,
9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
Mainly calls, gaming but not intensive, Good camera is a must
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? HTC One, Galaxy S4
12. Any other info that you want to share

So I have read many reviews. Here are my queries:-
1) So which one has better camera? S4 or One. There are mixed reviews on this and couldnt decide which one is better.
2)Though in this market where flagship phone gets replaced almost every quarter my friend is looking for a phone which would he need not change after a year. Basically the phone should be durable phone and should get upgrades for some time atleast. Doesn't matter whether the upgrades are from XDA or the brand.
3) Desire Z is not an option as we couldn't find a single review on the net which says the phone is good.
4) Also 91mobiles.com is showing S4 cheaper than HTC one. I am still bit inclined towards HTC one but need your suggestions.

Krow

Crowman
Get HTC One. Camera is more or less on par, but HTC Zoe is good software, useful if you want your phone to be a nice photo album. S4 has low internal memory (9 GB available to the user). You can't move preloaded apps to SD card and no matter what you do, internal memory will fill up rather quickly. Even if you install apps to SD card, you can't move app data AFAIK.

HTC One comes with 32 GB internal memory, no expandable storage. But Sense 5 is largely free of bloatware.

S4 has better custom ROMs, provided you get a unit with Qualcomm processor.

One is slightly more expensive, but totally worth the money. The metal body is excellent, much better than S4 plastic.

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
Wait for Snapdragon 800 powered phones :)
Wait for Sony's Honami that comes with Snapdragon 800 and a 20 MP Camera.

Well I had a question how much time after these phones are expected to launch because no matter when you buy a phone you will always find a newer technology coming in next 2-3 months. I talked to my friend and he is saying waiting till August is not a problem at all after that he will have to think. So please provide the expected launch date and if possible expected price. Also Honami looks too expensive!

Get HTC One. Camera is more or less on par, but HTC Zoe is good software, useful if you want your phone to be a nice photo album. S4 has low internal memory (9 GB available to the user). You can't move preloaded apps to SD card and no matter what you do, internal memory will fill up rather quickly. Even if you install apps to SD card, you can't move app data AFAIK.

HTC One comes with 32 GB internal memory, no expandable storage. But Sense 5 is largely free of bloatware.

S4 has better custom ROMs, provided you get a unit with Qualcomm processor.

One is slightly more expensive, but totally worth the money. The metal body is excellent, much better than S4 plastic.
Thanks but I had one more question. What about the battery life is it acceptable for day to day use?

Vignesh B

Youngling
Both are excellent phones. You won't go wrong with any one.
As already stated S4's main disadvantage is its lower internal memory. Cameras of the both are almost similar.
But one thing that pips S4 up is Samsung's better history of updating their mobiles. Even S2 is provided with 4.1.2.

Krow

Crowman
Battery life is almost similar. Regarding upu)dates, S4 comes with 4.2.2, while One has 4.1.2. Not much of a difference to be honest. If you're really worried about updates, get iPhone 5. It's the only phone that will be regularly updated for three years.

Another thing, there are lots of window shoppers on this forum who will always tell you to wait for the next big thing. If everyone listened to them, no one would ever buy anything. So it's best if you ignore them and get what you want. :)

I would say both are great phones(One & S4, kick out iPhone). Buy any one, which u like. Many people here suggests HTC One, but in the end its your choice.

My friend recently bought S4 because Samsung has much more service centres than HTC. By chance if something happens to the phone(accidently, u can't say that it won't happen), u won't like ur 40k phone to become dead or travel 50-100km to find a service centre(don't worry HTC has service centres in all major cities).

I personally prefer S4 over One, because (plastic body is not a curse.....) S4 has a 5" screen in dimension same as that of One, which has 4.7" display. For me dimensions of the phone matters.

Krow

Crowman
S4 has a 5" screen in dimension same as that of One, which has 4.7" display. For me dimensions of the phone matters.
This is why I'll be switching to an iPhone at the end of this year. I don't like phones with screen size above 4.2 inches. Too big for me. I want a phone, not a pair of slippers. ;-)

Anyway, back on topic. Plastic body isn't a curse, sure, but HTC One's body is far superior to S4. One is in fact the first phone to match the premium feel of the iPhone 5. I'm a fan of unibody chassis and when I spoke to HTC, they told me it takes around 180 minutes to make an HTC One body. The level of engineering they've achieved is far greater than the S4's cheap plastic design.

Someone on Twitter said a journalist was asked to hand over his phone at a Samsung event in Bangalore. The security suspected that he had stolen an S4 unit from the demo zone. After over half an hour, his phone was returned. The security took that long to realise that it was his S3. :lol:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I would go with HTC One. GS4 cannot justify 14k extra cash over GS3 due to its minor changes but HTC One is absolutely worth every rupee. Sexy design, superb build, great camera. I have tried both and I vote for HTC One.

OP
mohityadavx

mohityadavx

Youngling
Thank you every one for the suggestion. My friend it seems is eyeing the 20 MP cameraphone by Sony talked about in this thread. I have meanwhile asked him to buy HTC One but still he is bit reluctant. So could anyone tell me when this phone gonna launch I think he will wait if it is launched by August otherwise he will grab One.

randomuser111

Technomancer
Thank you every one for the suggestion. My friend it seems is eyeing the 20 MP cameraphone by Sony talked about in this thread. I have meanwhile asked him to buy HTC One but still he is bit reluctant. So could anyone tell me when this phone gonna launch I think he will wait if it is launched by August otherwise he will grab One.

It will launch in India by September end or October first week.

Krow

Crowman

Nokia has something interesting coming up on July 11, but that wont come to India before October. No point in waiting. Get what you want, when you want it.

Top Bottom