Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes. Some March update did break my OS partially, SSD usage went through the roof (C drive). I had to reinstall Win10.
That is why creating a system image of C drive before doing updates is a good practice if you have the extra space, if updates break OS then simply restore the image(on a decent ssd it should take hardly 10 min for a 60-70gb filled C drive).

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
U mean 21H1?
1621118758203.png

That is why creating a system image of C drive before doing updates is a good practice if you have the extra space, if updates break OS then simply restore the image(on a decent ssd it should take hardly 10 min for a 60-70gb filled C drive).
The automatic system restore point was present, but restore failed

installing all the softwares again after windows 10 fresh install is pita.
Almost spent half a day reconfiguring everything, but was able to clean some unnecessary apps. Main issue is reinstalling Forza Horizon 4. UWP pause & resume is just bad. I have once downloaded 20GB then lost it, second time got up to 65GB (out of 95GB) and lost it. I can't download it in one go as I'm in my hometown with a 40GB/day fibre connection.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Almost spent half a day reconfiguring everything, but was able to clean some unnecessary apps. Main issue is reinstalling Forza Horizon 4. UWP pause & resume is just bad. I have once downloaded 20GB then lost it, second time got up to 65GB (out of 95GB) and lost it. I can't download it in one go as I'm in my hometown with a 40GB/day fibre connection.
for me i dont wanna loose vs code custom setup for programming.Took me almost a week in doing so and after so much searching on google,youtube.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
you have FH on steam or Game Pass? Steam downloads are pretty stable imo.

Macrium is miles ahead of MS own backup restore feature. In fact once you master its pro version you will be able to undo any windows update changes in few minutes on a ssd with enough space.
Honestly, this is the first time I had an issue with system restore. I rarely use restore though, but it usually works as intended for me. Also, I'm not sure how using a 3rd party software will affect my FH4 as that's not installed in OS drive. Unlike steam, MS doesn't just detect it after a reinstall for sure (not sure of 3rd party backups). One time I literally had to move everything else from that partition & format the partition to recover space occupied by FH4.

If I was not in my hometown, reinstalling FH4 wouldn't have been an issue as I can just leave it to download overnight. I wish there was save game transfer to the steam version.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Honestly, this is the first time I had an issue with system restore. I rarely use restore though, but it usually works as intended for me. Also, I'm not sure how using a 3rd party software will affect my FH4 as that's not installed in OS drive. Unlike steam, MS doesn't just detect it after a reinstall for sure (not sure of 3rd party backups). One time I literally had to move everything else from that partition & format the partition to recover space occupied by FH4.

If I was not in my hometown, reinstalling FH4 wouldn't have been an issue as I can just leave it to download overnight. I wish there was save game transfer to the steam version.
If you have enough space then first make a whole disc image(aka entire ssd) & then just make a system image of C drive using macrium free & restore windows to see if Forza Horizon 4 still works fine.

Top Bottom