Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

z3rO

Journeyman
Can't be, which tool you used, from op?
Run the setup and read the terms and see if you can see the version

Maybe terms will be the same. Look at the properties of system.exe Maybe you can get some useful version information from there.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't installed Win 10 on my laptop yet. I've read that the first time, it has to be an upgrade install (over Win 8.1 in my case) during which it will copy Win 8.1's license. Once Microsoft registers the old Win 8.1 license as a Win 10 license, it is then possible to format and clean install Win 10 at any future date. Is this still true - upgrade installing instead of formatting and clean installing the first time? My system has the license saved in the hardware itself. When I previously installed Win 8.1 after formatting Win 8, it never asked for a license; it directly took it from the hardware.

I downloaded Win 10 using the Media Creation Tool two days ago. So have I got the latest version you all are talking about? Is it the same as the November update?

I'd recommend you to download the ISO directly from MS but if internet is a problem then you can use the ISO created with MCT. Just be sure that you have the correct Windows 10 edition's ISO.

If you have the November Update ISO, you can directly clean install it without upgrading first. You'll need to put in your Windows 8.1 license key during the clean install. Google these things, you'l get tons of results. Read up the Windows 10 FAQs as they will clear most of your doubts.

Your windows 8.1 license stays in your BIOS's ACPI table. When you upgrade (not clean install) to Windows 10 from Win7/8/8.1 it verifies the genuinity of your current OS. If it finds that you have a genuine copy of Windows installed then after upgrade your Windows 10 will get activated automatically and a unique string is generated which depends on your hardware (mainly mobo). This string is sent to MS and is stored in MS Activation servers. If you wish to clean install (or your HDD crashed) Windows 10 on the same machine you wont need a key. After clean install, your Windows will check if your machine is listed in MS's activation servers or not. It will automatically get activated if your machine's details (the string) are found there. You wont get a product key for Win 10 and will not be asked for one. MS calls this method of activation as Digital Entitlement.

Some people complained that this process - first upgrade and then clean install (if you want) is too much work. So MS made it possible to directly clean install Windows 10 even if you have not upgraded first. But in this method you'll have to find out your windows 8.1 license key from BIOS (there are many tools, google it) and enter that key during Clean Install.

If you are using ISO's to install/upgrade/clean install then be sure about the edition of Windows 10 you are using. Like if your machine came with Win 8.1 SL then you can't install Win 10 Pro. If you don't use the ISO of correct edition you'll end up with a non-activated copy of Windows 10.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW why are people still using the ESD to ISO tools? This method was popular during the Pre-Release phase when MS released some build to the fast ring but did't release an ISO so people who were on slow ring were not able to get the latest build so slow ring people who wanted to get on the latest build asap used ISOs (created from ESD on fast ring machines).

Now every single ISO has been released by Microsoft and you can directly download them using the OFFICIAL MICROSOFT LINKS I gave in my last post. Just check which version you are eligible for and download the ISO.

- - - Updated - - -

For follow up reading (just posting the links)-

Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ - Windows Help (see What edition of Windows will I get as part of the free upgrade? )

Windows 10 November update: FAQ - Windows Help

Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

The Windows 10 FAQ: Everything You Need to Know (it old but you might want to read these, thought the facts might differ cause some things have clanged since this article was written)

*www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/10

BhargavJ

In the zone
Can't be, which tool you used, from op?
Run the setup and read the terms and see if you can see the version

I downloaded the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft site itself. Then I selected "Create installation media for another PC" because I wanted to create an ISO. On the next page, it had the "Use the recommended options for this PC" selected, and the other options greyed out:

*s12.postimg.org/724133bvt/MCT_Use_Recommended.jpg

Deselecting would have allowed me to choose differently, but what the tool had selected was correct, so I I clicked next. Deselecting only gave two options for the Edition - either Windows 10 or Windows 10 N. Later, I chose the DVD option and not USB, and it downloaded the Win 10 setup files. Then it checked the integrity, gave me an option to burn the ISO which I deferred for the time being; then it did some cleaning, during which it deleted all the setup files it had downloaded in the two folders in C:\. The ISO it created is named "Windows.iso" and has a file size of 3,198,720 KB.

Maybe terms will be the same. Look at the properties of system.exe Maybe you can get some useful version information from there.

I can't find system.exe in the ISO. Can you be more specific as to where to find it?

I'd recommend you to download the ISO directly from MS but if internet is a problem then you can use the ISO created with MCT.

Downloading directly from Microsoft and downloading using MCT is the same thing, isn't it? Both downloads will come from Microsoft itself.

Just be sure that you have the correct Windows 10 edition's ISO.

I myself want to be certain about this, but the ISO doesn't give any information regarding this.

Now here's something new: I extracted the contents of the ISO to a folder in another partition and ran the setup from there. In the first screen, it gave me an option to download updates, which I declined. Clicking on Privacy Statement at the bottom opened a popup which gave me an MS link which just contains all that stuff about what info they'll collect. That window also has a EULAID which when googled came up with nothing:

*s30.postimg.org/44wlryq0d/Screenshot_40.jpg

On clicking next, it asked me to provide a product key. Without entering the product key, the setup simply cannot move forward:

*s21.postimg.org/aerd2aes3/Screenshot_41.jpg

I used Advanced Tokens Manager and also a command prompt code I found on a site to find my product key, and both the software and the command prompt gave the same product key, but when I enter it in the Win 10 setup window, setup tells me the key is wrong. I tried this many times, offline and online, but nothing. I had earlier read that if the Win 10 setup asks for a product key, just skip the step, but my setup window doesn't give any such choice. What do I do now?

I bought this laptop from Dubai last year; it came with Win 8 SL pre-installed; I later upgraded to Win 8.1. It is a genuine copy as shown in Control Panel, and I've been downloading updates from Microsoft all this time. Earlier this year, I had downloaded the Win 8.1 ESD, converted it to an ISO, formatted C:\ and installed Win 8.1. It hadn't asked me for a product key then; it had taken it directly from the BIOS (my laptop doesn't have the product key sticker; the key is embedded). So what do I do now? Searching on the net tells me there are others who have faced this problem, with Win 7 and Win 8 genuine keys. The reply I've found is that you are trying to clean install; instead, you have to do an upgrade install first. But I haven't installed Win 10 a single time, and I am trying to do an upgrade install this first time. :(

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Use the Produkey(Link:ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server)to recover the Windows 8.1 key and Save it/Write it somewhere safe.

Download a new Windows 10 Pro x64bit using the "Media Creation Tool" and insert a compatible USB Drive to store the image or Download an ISO Image and use Rufus(Link:*rufus.akeo.ie/)to create a new bootable USB Drive using the downloaded ISO via "Media Creation Tool"

Start a Clean installation of the latest Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 Build 10586.13 using the previous USB Drive and during the installation use the Windows 8.1 key and complete the installation process.

z3rO

Journeyman
I can't find system.exe in the ISO. Can you be more specific as to where to find it?

My bad, I meant setup.exe

Downloading directly from Microsoft and downloading using MCT is the same thing, isn't it? Both downloads will come from Microsoft itself.

I myself want to be certain about this, but the ISO doesn't give any information regarding this.

if you directly download the ISO, you'd be sure about it. If you download Windows 10 ISO x64bit directly, then you will get Home and Pro, both the versions of Windows 10 x64 in the same ISO and during install the installer will automatically choose which edition to install. If you download, say Windows 10 x64 bit from MCT, if will ask you if you want to download Home or Pro, though it can automatically decide which one to download.

On clicking next, it asked me to provide a product key. Without entering the product key, the setup simply cannot move forward:

If you try to install incorrect edition of Windows 10 then it wil ask for a product key and wont let you proceed without one since you do not have a license to use that Windows 10 edition on your laptop.

I used Advanced Tokens Manager and also a command prompt code I found on a site to find my product key, and both the software and the command prompt gave the same product key, but when I enter it in the Win 10 setup window, setup tells me the key is wrong.

Because you are trying to use a key that is entitled for a different edition of Win10 from what you are trying to install.

- - - Updated - - -

Till date I've upgraded more than 15 PCs to various editions of Windows 10 and I never faced a single issue.

I follow this -

Run Microsoft Windows 10 Update Tool (not MCT). This will download and upgrade your genuine Windows 7/8/8.1 to Win 10 and it won't ask you details about your license.
After Windows has done upgrading, I check the activation status and edition. Download that edition's ISO from MS site (not using MCT but directly). Clean install using that ISO. Done.

I follow other method too when the internet is limited but that doesn't involve MCT. Say I need to upgrade a laptop having Win 8.1 Pro x64.

Step 1. I'll go and download this - "Windows 10 x64 English International ISO" from MS site. (This ISO will contain both Windows 10 x64 Home and Pro editions.)
Step 2. Unpack the ISO and run setup.exe on the machine which is to be upgraded. This time it will automatically decide weather to install Home or Pro.
Step 3. After upgrade I'll connect to the internet and check acticvation status of newly installed Windows. If everything is right, it'll say that your copy of windows 10 is activated via Digital Entitlement.
Step 4. Once the Windows 10 has been activated, I use the same ISO to make a bootable pen drive, boot from it, delete system partition on HDD and install it there. During clean install if you should choose Custom instead of Upgrade and during clean install it will ask you if you want to install Home or Pro. If you install Home in this case, it wont get activated after the install finishes. So you need to install the correct edition (Pro in this case).

- - - Updated - - -

Start a Clean installation of the latest Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 Build 10586.13 using the previous USB Drive and during the installation use the Windows 8.1 key and complete the installation process.

He has genuine Win 8.1 Single License which in entitled for Windows 10 Home.

BhargavJ

In the zone
I let MCT decide what to do, and it seems it has messed up. I can't understand how it did that. It does seem to have selected the correct edition in the screenshot I have posted. My Win 8.1 version is x64 Single Language. I've installed Hindi and Gujarati language support from MS and also Google Input tools; is it possible that the Win 10 setup is getting affected by this? I think I'll remove all the other language packs and run the setup again and see what happens.

I have the Get Windows 10 icon in the system tray. It gives two options, "Upgrade now" and "Start download, upgrade later". If I use this tool, I'll probably use the second option. I have two questions: does this tool support pausing and resuming of the download? Will it give me an ISO at the end, or will it just download the whole setup and after I've installed Win 10, delete the setup files?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Special thanks to z3r0!!! :D

z3rO

Journeyman
I have the Get Windows 10 icon in the system tray. It gives two options, "Upgrade now" and "Start download, upgrade later". If I use this tool, I'll probably use the second option. I have two questions: does this tool support pausing and resuming of the download? Will it give me an ISO at the end, or will it just download the whole setup and after I've installed Win 10, delete the setup files?

I once used this "Get Windows 10" thing in the taskbar (and I personally don't like it). Once you start download using that, the download will get transferred to Windows Update like this -

*cdn.redmondpie.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Windows-10-force-download-3.png

In my case, the download couldn't be resumed. I was at 20-30% and had to turn off the machine due to some reason. I thought that it will resume from the said percentage since it is via Windows Update but it didn't. I had to click on the Get Windows 10 thing in the taskbar again and it started from 0%.

- - - Updated - - -

I recommend you to go to this link - *www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/windows-10-upgrade and click on Upgrade now. It will download a file named "GetWindows10-Web_Default_Attr.exe". Run that file and let that do everything. You won't get an option to create a media in the said tool. It will directly upgrade your current system to Windows 10 x64. After you've upgraded, you can download an ISO from MS's site and clean install. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
or you can simply download a windows 10 iso and mount it and run setup.exe
no need to download multiple times etc

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
How to clean install Windows 10 and create boot media

We show you how to install Windows 10 from scratch on your PC or laptop, plus how to create an install DVD or USB flash drive

Source Link:How to clean install Windows 10 and create boot media | Expert Reviews

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101
Hi Friends,

I intend to buy original win 10 home for my PC. Please let me know from where should I buy it. I have found it on snapdeal at 7.5K, will this be genuine ?
Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Buy Microsoft Windows 10 Home Online at Low Price in India - Snapdeal

ashs1

Padawan
The Last cortana update messed up my friend's HP laptop..Constant issues with audio driver crashing..& the wifi issue persists..cannot see the wifi tab in settings.. :/

D

Deleted member 118788

I for one love Windows 10... What problem are you facing???

Same here. Enjoying Windows 10 much better than all of the previous Windows versions. Make sure to Defer Updates, Disable Telemetry & Data Collection and also the not used services using services.msc

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaltrops

In the zone
Same here. Enjoying Windows 10 much better than all of the previous Windows versions. Make sure to Defer Updates, Disable Telemetry & Data Collection and also the not used services using services.msc
Could you be more specific as to what it's actually called in services.msc?

Thanks.

Top Bottom