Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

amjath

Human Spambot
Really skeptical whether I should upgrade to Windows 10 because I recently upgraded from win 8 to win8.1 & I noticed:
1. Startup is slightly low.
2. Dragonball xenoverse used to work flawlessly on 1080p resolution on my y510p..in win8.1, the game stutters.. I have to play in 720p ..

I also have a doubt: my laptop came installed with windows 8 single language ( OEM).. Which can be upgraded to win10 home. .I also have a Windows 7 pro original CD which can be upgraded to win10 pro edition. Any particular advantages of pro version for regular user?? Should I stay with win8 or shift to win7 & then upgrade?

*Windows 10 Home Vs Windows 10 Pro: What are the differences?

While Windows 10 Home is focused firmly on the consumer, Windows 10 Pro is more for power-users, and those running small to medium businesses. This can be seen in the advanced security features found in the Pro package.

Advertisement - story continues below

BitLocker has been an integral part of the professional level Windows operating systems since Vista. This encryption software allow security conscious users to fully secure their drives from potential hackers. In Windows 10 Pro Microsoft has made some fine adjustments to the service.*

‘With BitLocker,’ explains Joe Belfiore, the Corporate Vice President of Microsoft’s Operating Systems Group, ‘the end user *faces an all or nothing decision for the entire drive to be encrypted, and it doesn’t provide for very much flexibility in the way files move around. We’re solving those problems.’*

The new iteration of BitLocker allows users to encrypt individual files and keep them alongside unencrypted ones. *Plus they can now be used in the same way on USB sticks, improving the way in which files can be shared between those with the proper clearance to read them.

As you would expect from a Pro version there is also support for Remote Desktops, virtualisation, Group Policy Management, and access to the Windows 10 Business Store. Microsoft also lists the ability to join Azure Active Directory, with a single sign-on to cloud hosted apps, plus support for joining a domain, Assigned Access 8.1,Enterprise Data*Protection, and Windows Update for Business which Microsoft claims will reduce management costs.
Windows 10 Home vs Pro comparison review - Feature - PC Advisor

I would go for pro. Go to windows 7 and upgrade out to windows 10 pro

I haven't faced any issues yet. Regards to games my gfx is in replacement will get it in 3 days so no gaming no performance check

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hello Experts & Forum Members,

I'm able to update my my Retail Copy of Windows 7 yesterday after trying 4th Time with my crappy BSNL broadband connection and Windows 10 got activated immediately after first Boot.

Now the turn to Windows 7 Home OEM (VIAO), but I'm stuck to 'Something Happened' Error. Change Everything to United States but no luck - Please I seek you guidance and help.

Below the pic - Please let me know what else I need to do ?

*i.imgur.com/eKJJ0zW.png

*i.imgur.com/BZoFRBP.png

*i.imgur.com/vV5cOpI.png

Gollum

Collector
Actually if you have reserved it then download will be rolled out to everyone incrementally but we downloads it and install it. If you upgrade it will be activated automatically by looking at genuine windows 8 key. If you clean install it, then you have to wait for windows server to validate it, it will take min 2 days. Validation happens by registered ms mail

Yes it is. Added outlook, 2 gmail and 1 yahoo accounts

amjath,
My windows 10 app never asked for my e-mail address.
Is it not supposed to?
It just said, click her to reserve, I clicked, a circle rolled for a few seconds and said that's it, you're all done. we will let you know when the ABC is ready.

amjath

Human Spambot
^ [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] also had this issue. I asked him to do the same what you did. Let him reply for what he did

amjath

Human Spambot
amjath,
Is it not supposed to?
It just said, click her to reserve, I clicked, a circle rolled for a few seconds and said that's it, you're all done. we will let you know when the ABC is ready.
It should. But leave it, download an ISO and do it. Also you could reserve the ISO for future

ashs1

Padawan
amjath,
Is it not supposed to?

Same here.. I got the same message : we'll let you know when the download is ready..
Didn't ask for email.

Makx

Game on
Hello Experts & Forum Members,

I'm able to update my my Retail Copy of Windows 7 yesterday after trying 4th Time with my crappy BSNL broadband connection and Windows 10 got activated immediately after first Boot.

Now the turn to Windows 7 Home OEM (VIAO), but I'm stuck to 'Something Happened' Error. Change Everything to United States but no luck - Please I seek you guidance and help.

Below the pic - Please let me know what else I need to do ?
Try en-in *www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10 and let us know if it works or change system locale in administrative tab to english(US)

- - - Updated - - -

Get the ISO from here instead - *www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
this link downloads the same media creation toolkit, while that link directly downloads ISO from microsoft website

Gollum

Collector
Try en-in *www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10 and let us know if it works or change system locale in administrative tab to english(US)

- - - Updated - - -

this link downloads the same media creation toolkit, while that link directly downloads ISO from microsoft website

I go the ISO from the link *www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
this was on chrome - since I was leaving office I cancelled the download - next day - I could only get the tool
So I used the same link on FF and I got the ISO
So I have saved the ISO for future.

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
Successfully upgraded to 10 using Media Creation tool to upgrade.

I am trying to make a copy of esd to iso for backup.

Used ESD file from BT folder. Decryptor says it is not specified file from microsoft and original file contains 4 images.

Any help on this?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Successfully upgraded to 10 using Media Creation tool to upgrade.

I am trying to make a copy of esd to iso for backup.

Used ESD file from BT folder. Decryptor says it is not specified file from microsoft and original file contains 4 images.

Any help on this?

Did you check first post ? There is a new version of decryptor. Try that.

Whats the name of esd file ? And the size ?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Update-Guys install was a success, didnt lose any data or any settings etc
have a bunch of driver issues but im resolving them slowly
touchpad,sound and gpu had issues
sound and touchpad were resolved after 2 reboots and I updated touchpad drivers to 8.1 version
running extremely well now
gpu still has issues because of poor driver optimisation but I guess itll be resolved soon
sleep isnt working for my laptop , am reinstalling drivers after wiping them totally just to be sure

overall running better than 7 also

amjath

Human Spambot
*i.imgur.com/ahrviEd.jpg

It syncs, but don't show any mails.
cant see screen attached [in office]
Remove account and again. I did a fresh install so newly added accounts

But searching the keyword is poor compared to Windows 8.1 mail app

Update-Guys install was a success, didnt lose any data or any settings etc
have a bunch of driver issues but im resolving them slowly
touchpad,sound and gpu had issues
sound and touchpad were resolved after 2 reboots and I updated touchpad drivers to 8.1 version
running extremely well now
gpu still has issues because of poor driver optimisation but I guess itll be resolved soon
sleep isnt working for my laptop , am reinstalling drivers after wiping them totally just to be sure

overall running better than 7 also

Good to hear

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^ That key is a Windows 7 key and won't work with Windows 10. You have to upgrade once using the same method as laptop then clean format to activate correctly. Else you won't be able to activate.
In order to do a clean and fresh install of Windows 10 onto my Desktop-PC,I erased/formatted the whole of C:\> partition which was housing the Windows 7. But problem arise when MS asked for the key to be activated,and Windows 10 didn't recognise the Windows 7 key.

I had to re-install/freshly install Windows 7 again onto C:\> partition of HDD,but without loading or updating any drivers,updates,I straight way installed and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) on top of Windows 7 Pro (64-bit),through the DVD *.iso

Bingo! The PC is running Windows 10 Pro(64-bit) with key activated + license valid.

No problems,no issue.

I have downloaded + installed nvidia GPU drivers,and all other necessary drivers,apps., which are compatible and running fine under Windows 10 Pro (64-bit).

Question is : How to disable automatic update of Windows files,apps., system files? Since I am unable to know what is running in the background without monitoring myself.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^ [MENTION=77264]Vyom[/MENTION] also had this issue. I asked him to do the same what you did. Let him reply for what he did

Well, in my case I was truing 64 bit version of the Media Creation tool on 32 bit version of Win 7 (my cousin's PC). It failed. Later when I tried 32 bit version of the tool, I got the two "Something Error" error. But on 3rd try it download both 32 and 64 version of Win 10 without any problem. Weird problem.
Though in the end, I used the ESD file to convert to ISO and then used it to upgrade to Win 10.

For the record, name of ESD was : 10240.16384.150709-1700.th1_clientpro_ret_x64fre_en-us_9d40e15f430ab89a1eabb165acbf40c9f07d18bb.esd and size was 2.61 GB
After converting to ISO name was: en_windows_10_pro_10240_x64_dvd.iso and size was 3.00 GB.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
is sleep/hibernate working for anyone??
mine isnt :(
tried reinstalling amd + intel drivers already twice

Limitless

Journeyman
My laptop is running genuine windows 8.1 64bit whenever I try to install windows 10 using USB method it always asks for key what to do?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
My laptop is running genuine windows 8.1 64bit whenever I try to install windows 10 using USB method it always asks for key what to do?

I hope you are trying to run the setup, while booted into Win 8.1. That means, when Win 8.1 is running, you are opening the pen drive and starting setup from there.
Running installation from booting from Pen drive wont work.

amjath

Human Spambot

Hope you are planning for upgrade not clean install. If upgrade from booting from USB stick directly, then skip the key window when asked.

Top Bottom