Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
ME too downloading x64 will try to dual boot it
I am trying to boot it besides Windows7(keeping it untouched).I have 4 separate HDD'sIn the 3rd HDD, for the first partition, i.e. /dev/sdc1 (which is type ntfs; size :---> 161.68GB) can I install this Windows 10(TECHNICHAL PREVIEW).How about it Friends [MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION] & [MENTION=127004]amjath[/MENTION]?

OP
$hadow

$hadow

Geek in making
I am trying to boot it besides Windows7(keeping it untouched).I have 4 separate HDD'sIn the 3rd HDD, for the first partition, i.e. /dev/sdc1 (which is type ntfs; size :---> 161.68GB) can I install this Windows 10(TECHNICHAL PREVIEW).How about it Friends [MENTION=159164]$hadow[/MENTION] & [MENTION=127004]amjath[/MENTION]?

Why not my friend has just booted it in his second HDD.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Alright, so I tried Win 10. Also created a screencast summing up my experience:

[YOUTUBE]6hblgmxg2jE[/YOUTUBE]

While Start Menu is the highlight of Windows 10, I think Microsoft is still trying too hard to make a unified User Interface and people who are used to windows XP and Win 7, even this version of Windows will be a steep learning curve.

amjath

Human Spambot
^ Awesome bro, I thought of writing a long post of what's new in Windows 10 but you summed it up great :doublethumb:

Edit: I need a bigger monitor :lol:

Last edited:

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Windows 10 Technical Preview

Installed it just now & first impressions are that I'm just loving it :oops: my good ol Start Menu is back!!! This edition of Windows looks positive.
Also it installed in just 10-15 mins, taking up 14 GB space. I did a mistake by giving it just 50 GB but hey this is a test version.

ankush28

Bazinga
Once again they stapled Metro UI on top of dektop based UI. I seriously doubt if UX is improved or just as sucky as it was in 8/8.1

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Windows 10 Technical Preview

Installed just now & I'm loving it :oops: the good ol Start Menu is back along with more features. This Windows edition looks positive ... feel good for Microsoft
Also, 10 minutes is it took Windows 10 to install :p

*i.imgur.com/SkrC1lr.png

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Installed just now & I'm loving it :oops: the good ol Start Menu is back along with more features. This Windows edition looks positive ... feel good for Microsoft
Also, 10 minutes is what it took Windows 10 to install :p

*i.imgur.com/SkrC1lr.png

Last edited:

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
Re: Windows 10 Technical Preview

:D

Mine is a little slow as i am running on Hyper-V but it looks fresh

[IMAGE]*www.digit.in/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14835&d=1412274316[/IMAGE]

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Guys:
Does W10 recognise the existence of operating systems other than Windows? Is it possible to install this to a logical partition?

How many partitions are created during install?

How much is the space taken up for OS itself?

tanmaymohan

Geek v1.0
The user settings menu should be normal and not metro. Needs improvement. Keep sending feedback :D :p

Also The installation menu should be made modern too imo.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Guys:
Does W10 recognise the existence of operating systems other than Windows? Is it possible to install this to a logical partition?

How many partitions are created during install?

How much is the space taken up for OS itself?

Yes. It does recognise other partitions. I installed it like any other OS. The GRUB bootloader will get replaced by windows bootloader though. But you can always restore it. Personally I use EasyBCD to restore my bootloader.

For me I couldn't install Win 10 via a bootable USB. You can't install it on logical drive I guess using a bootable USB. But when I tried installing from within existing Windows OS, I could choose the drive and installation went successfully even on a logical drive.

Complete installation is consuming around 16 GB. So a partition with 30 GB of space is recommended for smooth installation and experimentation.

Btw, the new icons looks good:

*i.minus.com/iWdElfbxXKpOC.JPG

Also, is it just me or you can't resize the Tile apps vertically?

rish1

Cyborg Agent
Still I don't get why they skipped 9 and named it 10? o_0
Just like this, instead of naming xbox 720....they named xbox one

don't know if you got the answer or not but it is to signify that now there will be 1 windows across pc,tablet,phone and will adapt itself automatically depending on screen size.. there will be 1 single store as well ..its to highlight the unification of single OS and they will be dropping the word phone from " windows phone " as well...

hence a skip in number to mark a new beginning for 1 OS across all devices and not just limited to PC

plus maybe to signify a new CEO, a new company , a new direction as well..

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
Re: Windows 10 Technical Preview

technically, they mostly fixed what they messed up in 8. now they want us to pay again to get this thing ?

wow, amazing business technique.

amjath

Human Spambot
Can this be used as a daily driver? Or should I wait? When's the official release?
Not recommended, consumer preview coming in January 2015. And stable version in "later in 2015" must be Q4 2015

Also, is it just me or you can't resize the Tile apps vertically?
Vertical resize is not possible, 3 small, medium, large resizes horizontally

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Not recommended, consumer preview coming in January 2015. And stable version in "later in 2015" must be Q4 2015

Vertical resize is not possible, 3 small, medium, large resizes horizontally
@amjath, can I use the Windows 8/8.1 driver(64-bit) for my Zotac NVidia 620GT GPU(Am satisfied with it, I AM NOT A GAMER!!!),for this Win 10 Technical Preview? Because my Monitor has a res. of 1600x900 and the Win 10 Tech. Preview, is at 1280x800.

amjath

Human Spambot
@amjath, can I use the Windows 8/8.1 driver(64-bit) for my Zotac NVidia 620GT GPU(Am satisfied with it, I AM NOT A GAMER!!!),for this Win 10 Technical Preview? Because my Monitor has a res. of 1600x900 and the Win 10 Tech. Preview, is at 1280x800.
I don't have GPU myself. From what I read drivers are stable in this preview. If you come across any issues with drivers after installation then reinstall. Surely it will work.

Top Bottom