Official Samsung I5801 Thread

Sid

Broken In
Hi,

I bought I5801 on Dec 3rd, 2010 and have been following this thread since.

I rooted my phone finding the advantages of installing live wallpapers & getting my gps fixed. I used the one click method described in xda forums.

However, since then i ran into a problem. I'm no longer been able to connect to Kies. Kies maintains the status connecting to device, while my phone just reboots. I have tried reinstalling the drivers again, but no solution yet. I'm using Win 7 x64 OS. Any help on this ? I need this to work as if Samsung launches its 2.2 upgrade, then i will need Kies to perform the update.

The second issue i faced is that at times the touch sensitive buttons of menu & back do not respond at all. I read somewhere, that one must moist his fingers, tired that too, but no does not work. I end up pressing the home button and everything is then back to normal. I believe this to be a software issue and though this is rare and has occurred only 4-5 times since i bought the phone, yet it bothers me, as i don't want it to become a frequently occurring issue. This has happened when using Google Market and GPS Status.

Is Samsung really coming out with a 2.2 upgrade for I5801 ? If it is why can't i find it on its website on this phone's specifications or support page. I have read that they are facing bugs and working to solve them, but at least put it up on their website I5801 product details. Makes me really wonder if there is going to be one or not. I'm really annoyed as there are 2.2 phones coming out with a price close to I5801. Recently i checked out that LG optimus one is at 11,750 & at the same shop I5801 at 11,500(in mumbai). Though i managed to get I5801 at 11,400.

I'm seriously considering upgrading I5801 to 2.2 as described in xda forums. Those who have done it i need to know the bellow.
1. Are you able to connect to Kies ?
2. If Samsung comes up with its 2.2 upgrade can we do that then ?
3. In XDA forums it has been mentioned IMEI number being lost and MAC address changing. If it does happen, any way of recovering ?
4. Will it remove the existing root i have done on my phone ?

Also has anyone applied Cyanogen mod ?

In this thread, no one has mentioned about offline maps and i thought i mention how to use them. Using this, we can have maps from different sources like google, yahoo, open street map, etc.. stored on our SD card and use them whenever required without any online data charges.

First download Mobile Atlas Creator

On this site you will find all the apps that it supports. There apps not only for android but for other platforms too.

I have found Maverick Lite app to be the best for this phone. I use Google Map as the source as it provides good detail and the resultant map created is small in size. I also loved Google Hybrid but it creates map of larger memory size for the same zoom levels.

Also Big Planet Tracks is a great app, but uses SQLlite format for its maps. And maps created for this format exceed 1 GB compared to Maverick format which completes it self in 350 MB. The map i created was of Mumbai at zoom levels 11 to 19.

Therefore i am considering getting an 8GB card, should help...

niraj87

Broken In
^^Hey, I cant answer any of ur queries, since I'm not a Samsung user, but wud request u to upload the Indian map that u created somewhere n post a link here. I had once tried it, using the Atlas creator, but cudnt finish the procedure.

If Kies isnt detecting ur s/w even after uninstalling n reinstalling drivers, u may consider going the nearest Service Center, which is what I did when my phone wasnt being detected by my LG PC suite, coz the Service Center guys install the firmware using an offline upgrading software that they are provided by the manufacturer n they do it within an hour, depending upon the no. of ppl in the queue.

Last edited:

Sid

Broken In
i have made the map of only Mumbai City & that it self is close to 350 Mb. Uploading this much amount of data will take a lot of time for me.

Could you tell me what issue you faced ?

Last edited:

niraj87

Broken In
^^I'm frm Mumbai too. I dont remember what the problem was, but I was stuck on the 3rd step itself .will try again later.

Sid

Broken In
Hi,

Also forgot to mention this, though my gps works great, however i have found only the altitude reading to be a problem. It comes as negative. And the values are crazy like -60 & -65 when i am close to sea level. And this reading is irrespective of any GPS software and before or after rooting. I have used GPS status, Maverick Lite, GPS Test and OruxMaps, all give in negative.

Regarding the 2.2 update, i found this on the Facebook page of Samsung Mobile Singapore
*www.facebook.com/SamsungMobileSingapore/posts/10150124702792625.

Have posted the same question on Samsung Mobile India.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
Hi,
Please add me too as a Galaxy 3 user.
I bought the phone on 15th Oct. 2010, but haven't checked the forums in a while. :p
This phone is great. And currently I am working on Android Application Development too, so I use my phone as a testing device. :D

I didn't faced any major issues and battery life is Good if you use it sensibly.

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
done adding new users ;p

any some one give working link for froyo update procedure/tut...i will add in front page (with credit to poster :)) ...so jus ll b uselful to all

multi

lazy bone
gopi those company bundled headphones work good for hearing music or video files but I tried to use it with receiving call but it doesn't work some how .

is there any settting which I am missing ?

for recieving call as per our Samsung Device guide , we have to push button on that headset ( showing call symbol) but when I do it call doesn't received.

some random googling showed some other G 3 users also having same issues .

Sid

Broken In
Hi,

Can anyone answer at least these 2 questions.

1. After rooting where you able to connect to kies ?
2. Does your altitude reading from your gps come in negative ?

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
yeah i had same prob

but am able to recieve call on pressing second time not first time i press button on headphone :|

gopi those company bundled headphones work good for hearing music or video files but I tried to use it with receiving call but it doesn't work some how .

is there any settting which I am missing ?

for recieving call as per our Samsung Device guide , we have to push button on that headset ( showing call symbol) but when I do it call doesn't received.

some random googling showed some other G 3 users also having same issues .

NathanGopi

Right off the assembly line
Hi Muthu im facing the same problem in my mobile, later i tried with other operator service like (Idea) the sms has been sent to all contacts.

I found that due to the balance Msg from airtel has stopped to sending the msg to all users.

So try it in idea it will helps u....

Hi Muthu im facing the same problem in my mobile, later i tried with other operator service like (Idea) the sms has been sent to all contacts.

I found that due to the balance Msg from airtel has stopped to sending the msg to all users.

Last edited:
OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent

Try chomp or go sms

reddead

LoSt!
bro add me up as user

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Does this phone have a problem with battery? Mine falls down in 1 day and that too when I dont have any apps installed on it yet and also Iu se nothing. It just stays idle and still the battery wilts down. I bought this phone just 3 days back and am facing this problem.

install advanced task killer from market.......it will kill all the running apps and save battrey to a large extent

---------- Post added 25-02-2011 at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was 24-02-2011 at 10:24 PM ----------

can i play gameloft games in galaxy 3...like nfs,hero of sparta

no you cant play gameloft games in galaxy 3,its not meant for gaming
you can only play light games on g3:-x:-x:-x

Last edited:

Redhaze

I picked up this phone last week. Works fine except for One issue - I hve a prepaid card and the balance is slowly reducing without even making any calls or sending messages. I have yet to activate gprs. After some googling have deactivated background data use in the settings. Even then there is something happening in the background which is eating up the prepaid amount. I installed 3GWatchdog which is showing some data being transmitted received but unable to pin down which app is responsible.

If I subscribe to a data plan will this stop.
note : I am on reliance.

Please help.

ANOTHER way to disable this is type *#*#4636#*#*
ul enter the testing mode
click on Phone Information
next click on the menu button ie the hardware button at bottom lefthand
and click on 'more'
then click on disable data connection
either first or the second option would disable gprs accordingly

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 AM ----------

Hello all!
i too am a proud owner of g3 :smile:bought it on 14 november n everything looks great!
if it helps any try disabling the background data which is found at settings-->accounts and sync-->background data for an increased battery life..
also have advanced task killer n battery booster app installed which seem really nice n i get two days easily with moderate usage of multimedia n phone features..
Some o the applications i would like to mention here as i used them,
adwlauncher is kinda nice n provides an alternative to the preinstalled twlauncher..
free memory,super uninstaller,bluetooth file transfer,quick app cleaner,maverick etc are all good in their own way!
easytether,abtc(bit torrent client),wifi file explorer are awesome too!
i use winamp(too good! but crashes sometimes.high hopes for the next release!),realplayer,mvideoplayer n rock player tho rock player would hav got a better User interface like winamp!
everyone should try musical pro its simply amazing!!
games well most of the gameloft games i tried worked tho some required higher resolution
the games i currently have include
assassins creed,prince of persia,gangstar2,city jump,southpark,warships,sims 3,fruit ninja,gem miner,angry birds of course!,tennis 09,3d pool master,tic tac toe,opensudoku,the inferno n family guy!
and before i forget to mention there is an app called sms commander through which you can access your phone for contacts(to name one on the functionalities!) through someone els' phone just by sending a message!
overall the phone has been amazingly good n i hope the froyo upgrade is official soon!
ciao!

reddead

LoSt!
ANOTHER way to disable this is type *#*#4636#*#*
ul enter the testing mode
click on Phone Information
next click on the menu button ie the hardware button at bottom lefthand
and click on 'more'
then click on disable data connection
either first or the second option would disable gprs accordingly

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 AM ----------

Hello all!
i too am a proud owner of g3 :smile:bought it on 14 november n everything looks great!
if it helps any try disabling the background data which is found at settings-->accounts and sync-->background data for an increased battery life..
also have advanced task killer n battery booster app installed which seem really nice n i get two days easily with moderate usage of multimedia n phone features..
Some o the applications i would like to mention here as i used them,
adwlauncher is kinda nice n provides an alternative to the preinstalled twlauncher..
free memory,super uninstaller,bluetooth file transfer,quick app cleaner,maverick etc are all good in their own way!
easytether,abtc(bit torrent client),wifi file explorer are awesome too!
i use winamp(too good! but crashes sometimes.high hopes for the next release!),realplayer,mvideoplayer n rock player tho rock player would hav got a better User interface like winamp!
everyone should try musical pro its simply amazing!!
games well most of the gameloft games i tried worked tho some required higher resolution
the games i currently have include
assassins creed,prince of persia,gangstar2,city jump,southpark,warships,sims 3,fruit ninja,gem miner,angry birds of course!,tennis 09,3d pool master,tic tac toe,opensudoku,the inferno n family guy!
and before i forget to mention there is an app called sms commander through which you can access your phone for contacts(to name one on the functionalities!) through someone els' phone just by sending a message!
overall the phone has been amazingly good n i hope the froyo upgrade is official soon!
ciao!

wtf!!! gameloft games work in g3?????
hows that possible???

Redhaze

wtf!!! gameloft games work in g3?????
hows that possible???

affirmative..
assassins creed,prince of persia, gangstar2-kings o la(part one did not work),
newyork nights 2,tennis 09 they all worked fine.. though the font of tennis09 was a lil small..

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

is froyo stable in it? Will upgrading cost me its warranty?

well i did not upgrade to froyo as the warranty becomes void on rooting..
eagerly awaiting the official upgrade though its been some time since the release. hope they don neglect it lik one of the earlier versions..

reddead

LoSt!
^yup bro tried these games...all worked but the graphics suck
i thought these games would look like nova,splintercell etc...

Top Bottom