Official Samsung I5801 Thread

Aditya11

Journeyman
FroYo is at last available on Galaxy 3. Though many geeks must have tried FroYo-enabled custom ROMs already..

FYA:

Samsung Galaxy 3 I5801 gets Android 2.2 FroYo update in India + How To

bksgs1

Right off the assembly line
Hi...Since you have updated to Froyo, let us know if you are based out of India or somewhere else and if in India, please let us know the procedure to update so that we can enjoy Froyo as well...thanks in advance!!

Yes, I am based in India - Mumbai. As mentioned in my post I updated using Kies.
for detailed tutorial - link - TechGom: [Official]Upgrading Samsung Galaxy 3 I5801 to 2.2 [DDJP2-India] via Kies

babloo81

Broken In
Yes, I am based in India - Mumbai. As mentioned in my post I updated using Kies.
for detailed tutorial - link - TechGom: [Official]Upgrading Samsung Galaxy 3 I5801 to 2.2 [DDJP2-India] via Kies

Thanks a lot man, I have successfully upgraded to Froyo :)
Keep me posted if you find something new in this version or any special care to be taken etc..Can I move already installed apps to the SD card? I tried for 1 app but the option of "Move to SD card" is not highlighted.

Aditya11

Journeyman
You cannot move all the apps to SD. Some apps NEEDS to stay in phone memory for them to work, and thus the option "move to sdcard" remains non-highlighted for them. Also, you should not move apps that have their widgets placed on any of the home screens.

Check out various move2sd apps in the market for better management of apps. I personally use apps2sd free.

utkarsh007

U7karsh
Hey guys m unable to get froyo update coz i am unable to connect g3 via kies. It jus shows connecting but does'nt connect. I have installed all the drivers and m in idle mode. On the phone it shows connected and on pc my sd card is also connected but kies still stays connecting.
PLZ HELP FAST

Can this b a prob due to lack of a driver called bluetooth peripheral device?
Now latest kies version is not even showing the connecting box when g3 is plugged in

babloo81

Broken In
You cannot move all the apps to SD. Some apps NEEDS to stay in phone memory for them to work, and thus the option "move to sdcard" remains non-highlighted for them. Also, you should not move apps that have their widgets placed on any of the home screens.

Check out various move2sd apps in the market for better management of apps. I personally use apps2sd free.

Thanks for the suggestion. One more query...since I updated to Froyo my battery usage seems to have increased significantly. I completed the update yesterday evening at 5pm and by that time the battery was fully charged as it was connected through USB. By today morning 7pm (14hrs), the battery dropped to 50% already though my usage has not changed significantly compared to 2.1. Earlier my batter used to stay for 2-2.5 days at least with similar usage. I have installed Juice defender after the update and I also have "Advanced Task Killer" installed. Every time I open ATK, it has at least 10 active apps running which was not the case with 2.1. Can you let me know if I am doing something wrong please and if you are facing a similar problem? Also the battery widget app does not seem to work, it is installed but I cant see the icon in the menu list...i used to use this earlier

Aditya11

Journeyman
1. in my experience, upgrading to FroYo typically increases the battery life. (means, it should last MORE). It could be that you have not tweaked settings after upgradation. Check if any unwanted services are running by default, such as GPS, Auto-sync and such. I am sure you will find more tips on increasing battery life somewhere in this forum. Since you can see which programs are running again n again, (when you use ATK), take corrective steps accordingly. Simply uninstall apps that you don't use or very rarely use. (Google Gesture Search is one such app...I installed it just for testing n show-off but rarely used it, but that app used to re-start everytime, so uninstalled it)

2. About battery widget..have you moved the app to SD card? As already said, widgets don't work if the app is on SDcard.

3. Have you tried Custom FroYo ROMs? They typically are optimized for offering better battery life. I use Kyrillos' ROM and like it immensely.

babloo81

Broken In
1. in my experience, upgrading to FroYo typically increases the battery life. (means, it should last MORE). It could be that you have not tweaked settings after upgradation. Check if any unwanted services are running by default, such as GPS, Auto-sync and such. I am sure you will find more tips on increasing battery life somewhere in this forum. Since you can see which programs are running again n again, (when you use ATK), take corrective steps accordingly. Simply uninstall apps that you don't use or very rarely use. (Google Gesture Search is one such app...I installed it just for testing n show-off but rarely used it, but that app used to re-start everytime, so uninstalled it)

2. About battery widget..have you moved the app to SD card? As already said, widgets don't work if the app is on SDcard.

3. Have you tried Custom FroYo ROMs? They typically are optimized for offering better battery life. I use Kyrillos' ROM and like it immensely.

What are custom ROMs? I have heard of this but not aware of the usage, installation, merits etc. I have checked the sync options. There is an option "Background data" which is checked. If I try to uncheck this, the autosync feature also gets disabled which I dont want and this was enabled even in my previous version of 2.1. The programs which I see running always are Juice defender, dropbox, yahoo mail,messaging, email, gmail, antivirus, mabilo wallpapers. Is there a way I can stop the auto-run of these apps? I understand the presence of gmail and yahoo mail but dont understand why others remain active.

Aditya11

Journeyman
I would advice you to check the official xda forums to know all the basics on custom ROMs, rooting and other things.

There are apps available in the Market which will prevent auto-run of other apps at the start up. Search for autorun killers and try installing and testing the most popular ones. As said already, simply uninstall the apps that you don't use. Also, personally, I wont recommend using any anti-virus app. Its simply not needed.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
^There was a good article 3-4 months back in Digit for this. (I will check the exact issue).
If you don't have it then check XDA forums, you'll get good instructions.
& if any problems, PM me. :)

reddead

LoSt!
there is a much easier method for enabling lw
link
Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-i5800/i5801: Enable Live Wallpapers - xda-developers

babloo81

Broken In
I would advice you to check the official xda forums to know all the basics on custom ROMs, rooting and other things.

There are apps available in the Market which will prevent auto-run of other apps at the start up. Search for autorun killers and try installing and testing the most popular ones. As said already, simply uninstall the apps that you don't use. Also, personally, I wont recommend using any anti-virus app. Its simply not needed.

I already have ATK installed but still battery drains very fast. Apart from this, none of the battery widgets seem to be working. I have tried Battery widget, battery live and few other similar apps. These get installed but when I look at "Manage applications" these show as 0bytes and so no icon appears in the menu.

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
i am facing issue with win7 64bit os -kies 2.0

there seems to be some driver problem when connecting my g3 in kies mode

and cud not update to 2.2 froyo

reddead

LoSt!
i am facing issue with win7 64bit os -kies 2.0

there seems to be some driver problem when connecting my g3 in kies mode

and cud not update to 2.2 froyo

no need to update with kies,just use odin to flash but you will lose all your data...
you can use mybackup root for backup....
i flashed it with odin....

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
no need to update with kies,just use odin to flash but you will lose all your data...
you can use mybackup root for backup....
i flashed it with odin....

but is the firmware same as the official firmware that xda-forums mentions

which firware you flashed for 2.2?

utkarsh007

U7karsh
Get can anyone help me use dandelion live wallpaper in galaxy 3.it just vibrates and nothing happens eexcept black screen

sharma_atul85

Journeyman
Hi All, I am looking for a phone recorder app for Samsung Galaxy 3 with froyo .
I tried a numerous apps from the market but none works fine .
Is there's away to record voice from both sides on G3 ? or any app that works fine on G3 .Please reply sooner.. needs immediately..

Thanks,

Top Bottom