Official Samsung I5801 Thread

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
I am looking for good SMS app which I can use to forward , delete etc thing .

searched market but haven't found any good , any 1 using such apps ?

chompsms

you dont need to root your phone to upgrade to froyo. It's better to wait for official firmware otherwise its on ur risk.
Btw I'm yet to test GPS pick in 2.2. Will keep u posted.

moved from JP8 to JP9 firmware of android 2.2. No big difference other than slight performance improvement. Samsung is doing a good job in this regard, released 2 firmwares in a week that too andorid 2.2:grin:.

did you upgrade using the xda-forum posts?the one with JP9 firmware

Did you follow this thread?
Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-i5800: root, gps fix, upgrading - xda-developers

Does replacing asian firmware with europe cause any prob?

Last edited:

comrade

foreign return(0)
did you upgrade using the xda-forum posts?the one with JP9 firmware

Did you follow this thread?
Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-i5800: root, gps fix, upgrading - xda-developers

Does replacing asian firmware with europe cause any prob?
yes followed the same upgradation procedure posted on xda-forum

Europe firmware goes well with my asian firmware based G3. No trouble.

Right now on JPA, 3rd firmware of android 2.2 from samsung. I didn't see any improvement with GPS but most other niggles were fixed with the update.

ankit beohar

Right off the assembly line
FAQ

1)Does this phone have video call?
No

2)Is Rooting possible
Yes I580I android v2.1 is rootable

3)Is the screen AMOLED
No

4)What video formats playable?
AVI,DIVX,3GP,MP4,Ipod format
(mkv not playable in normal video player..even if you have external app..the processor is slow at rendering)

5)What apps work?
I have currently more than 50apps installed..the following market apps work-
Opera,
DroidWall,
aFirewall,
Task Killer,
ChompSMS,
IMDB,
Barcode scanner,
Swarm,
Compass,
GPSOPT,
Terminal Emulator,
Super User permmission(Root app),
RingDroid,
Switch Network,
APN widget
SetCpu
Chess
Motivation Quotes
Best Tube
Balloon
Root Explorer
etc

6)Does it face any resolution prob
Frankly i had 99%success rate with apps i tried from market..there was no resolution prob

7)Is the screen a finger print magnet?
Ya if you dont clean once a day...you see some prints...it can be reduced by using screen cover/guard

8)GPS Show Location is Unavailable!
GPS Problem - The device doesnot catch GPS properly for first use because of timezone of europe,
Solution use GPSOpt from Market!

9)Balance/USSD code not working?
USSD codes(*123# etc), Push SMS from vendors & IVR doesnot work when Samsung Mobile Tracker is enabled.

10)Mount SD-Card?
Make sure first drivers is installed
First configure ur usb setting as mass storage in Settings-->ABout Phone
Now plug usb and connect to pc
In Notification area(when u slide down from top of screen) Click Copy files...
select mount

11)How to setup exchange email account?

Set up an Exchange account on your Android phone | Smartphones | TechRepublic.com

Dear Friends,

I have purchased GT0-i5801 5 days back, i was quite satisfied with the performance so far in terms of battery, display, messaging, camera quality, swype feature etc even i have downloaded few improvising application form Android market like Bar-code scanner, Google maps, Advanced task killer, GPSopt, APN on or off.

All the applications was working fine but suddenly since yesterday afternoon my Googlemaps, Navigation, Latitude, Google mail & Gtalk stopped working, i am not able to sync google or facebook not even go the android market, it says no connection available. Dont know what happen but i thought it was happened after downloading ATK so i have deleted that app but still not working.Can please any1 help me out with this issue also i am not able to understand functionality of ATK properly??

Regards
Ankit

useranonymous

Eagerly awaiting Froyo update. Come on Samsung, finalise the firmware and let us all enjoy Froyo goodness.

btw, has anyone who rooted the 2.1 factory version, updated to the Froyo firwmare after rooting.

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101
Hello guys,

no matter what, i m not able to use the GPS on my G3. I have installed GPS Opt also.. let me know how 2 use it. What is the use of navigation tool, because whenever i open it, it says google map location not available for your location. Also,, whats A-GPS and how to enable it ?

Xmen360

Broken In
^ try installing gps booster lite from the market.It hastens the signal locking.Google maps to work need active internet the faster the better.

sharma_atul85

Journeyman
Hello guys,

no matter what, i m not able to use the GPS on my G3. I have installed GPS Opt also.. let me know how 2 use it. What is the use of navigation tool, because whenever i open it, it says google map location not available for your location. Also,, whats A-GPS and how to enable it ?

I suggest u better use GPS while on roof or outside. GPS doesn't work well in room.

So when you're in open space do as below:

--> You can click on "maps" of pre-installed app and then click the left button and click "my location". It will then point to the exact location where you are standing and also there are more options to search nearby locations as well.

-->So once "your location is set " you can then use the navigation tool which guide you the distance covered on map from "your location" to "destination location"(which you enter manually).

babloo81

Broken In
Guys, I am looking to buy an Android smartphone and have shortlisted Samsung Galaxy 3, Samsung Spica and LG Optimus for purchase. Can you let me know which is the best of these 3. Also I will be in Mumbai next week and plan to buy this at Alfa. Can somebody let me know the best price for these phones. Can the price be bargained there or are prices fixed? If there is somebody from Bangalore who has bought these phones recently, please let me know the Bangalore prices as well.

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101
I suggest u better use GPS while on roof or outside. GPS doesn't work well in room.

So when you're in open space do as below:

--> You can click on "maps" of pre-installed app and then click the left button and click "my location". It will then point to the exact location where you are standing and also there are more options to search nearby locations as well.

-->So once "your location is set " you can then use the navigation tool which guide you the distance covered on map from "your location" to "destination location"(which you enter manually).

Thanks for the reply ! But I did try on roof , on 8th floor too !! it simply doesnt work :xI want to use this feature , and this was one of prime reasons as to why i changed my N72 , and now, that GPS doesnt work !!

Aditya11

Journeyman
Just published a "cool Android app list" on my blog, for reference. Feel free to add your suggestions, everyone.

Aditya11

Journeyman
Well, if you must have FroYo immediately, refer following link:

DIY : How to Install Froyo 2.2 on Galaxy 3 i5800 / i5801

babloo81

Broken In
Good Work :D , you can also list Forum Members using this phone, Include me :) .

I would suggest you to add known issues and how to resolve those too. Following are the issues faced by me till now.

1. GPS Problem - The device doesnot catch GPS properly, Solution use GPSOpt from Market!
2. USSD codes(*123# etc), Push SMS from vendors & IVR doesnot work when Samsung Mobile Tracker is enabled.

Does this phone have a problem with battery? Mine falls down in 1 day and that too when I dont have any apps installed on it yet and also Iu se nothing. It just stays idle and still the battery wilts down. I bought this phone just 3 days back and am facing this problem.

babloo81

Broken In
Hi Everybody,

I dont get replies for my posts. Hope somebody replies this time. I have bought a new Samsung Galaxy 3 (i5801) and downloaded apps from the market. All these get stored in the phone. How do I move these to the external memory card?

niraj87

Broken In
You can root your phone and use a script called Apps2SD, which will automatically install ur apps on the SD card. I was very reluctant to do this, coz I needed my warranty n didnt want to risk ****ing my phone up. But, I tried it n it was damn easy. There r tutorials that u can find on many sites if u google for "Apps2SD" or "rooting". I can make a detailed but simple tutorial if u want.

babloo81

Broken In
You can root your phone and use a script called Apps2SD, which will automatically install ur apps on the SD card. I was very reluctant to do this, coz I needed my warranty n didnt want to risk ****ing my phone up. But, I tried it n it was damn easy. There r tutorials that u can find on many sites if u google for "Apps2SD" or "rooting". I can make a detailed but simple tutorial if u want.

Thanks for the reply Niraj. It would be really helpful if you can provide me the tutorial as I am very new to Android and smartphones:oops:

sharma_atul85

Journeyman
I'd suggest better wait for android ver 2.2 for this fone as updated version provides the provision to install the apps on sd card. plus a lot more functionality. :))

Voltage

Please add me as another Samsung I5801 user.
The phone is really good, and the only problem I found was the lag that occurs when phone tries to bring up contacts/msg inbox.
Truly good phone.
Battery life isnt great, but lasts almost 1.5 days on moderate use. . .
of course, only with my power saver plan:
1. reduce screen brightness to 15 percent
2. keep all btooth/wifi/gps shut when not in use
3. Remove vibrate (haptic feedback) Its really not needed, if yu look at screen when you type

Swype System is awesome
All the android software ive installed worked perfectly
Amazed by the accuracy of GPS. . . perfect to within 10meters.
Love the looks too.

babloo81

Broken In
I'd suggest better wait for android ver 2.2 for this fone as updated version provides the provision to install the apps on sd card. plus a lot more functionality. :))

Top Bottom