Official Samsung I5801 Thread

sharma_atul85

Journeyman
@madantg -- you are exactly right in pointing out both the problems and am also suffering from the same. dunno the solution .
Regardless of these two the phone's a great buy .

multi

lazy bone
but the worst problem is battery. it's horrible. nowhere close to what samsung claims (165 hrs stand by & 15 hrs talktime).

my voice calls are hardly 2-2 1/2 hrs per day. battery does not last more than 15, 16 hrs (standby)

also, from 60% onwards, even without calls, it goes down to 15% just like that. this is a serious problem.

any help other than the mentioned suggestions, would be appreciated. Looks like this is a common problem. Is Samsung addressing this problem?

this is same for me also .

but sometime it doesn't drain that much even if I use it too much :-?

also do post your views(positive & negative) for any apps from market on regular basis as we know there are thousands of it & our view might help all of us any how

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
To save battery

-use apn on off widget to keep net off when not needed

-use brightness widget to have low brightness

-use powercontrol widget to keep wifi.gps and bluetooth off when not needed

-use task killer to kill unnecessary process

madantg

Right off the assembly line
as far as, app killers are concerned, i have not used any and don't see any need for. You can see the apps running from settings->applications>running services. some of them (like gtalk), etc, which I don't use at all, i close them.

just to save battery, if i have to turn off all the apps/gprs/gps/widgets, what's the fun in having this phone and using it like a nokia 1100 :mrgreen: that is not what i bought it for.

Though it is 3g enabled, we may not be able to go for it.. can we? battery might drain out in couple of hrs possibly??

Gollum

Collector
An update, i just checked this phone at samsung mobile store
to be honest, the screen is not as jaggy as some say . The white colour model looks much better than the black one.
Official price of this phone is 11900. This price exists all over karnataka.
Apparently the samsung mobile store people also do exchange but only if you have a semi expensive phone.

rohan.kwatra

Journeyman
y is every1 complaining about the battery so much..........mine seems to be good enough...i charge once in every 2 days with about 2 hrs talktime.....some surfing.....games and music too daily.......the task killers r very useful.....as gopi_vbboy suggested above...these steps r good enough to save battery....and even on 3g these lasted good enough 22 hr around

Gollum

Collector
Ones complaining about battery were not using task killers and associated battery saving techniques.

multi

lazy bone
@madtang , about 3g , i. use it on bsnl. 3g but it. doesn't. seems to. be. battery hungry

@ gollum i bought on diwali 11390/- in gujarat

vishald

Broken In
HI to all G3 users,

I am planning to buy this phone. However I will be using my home wifi connection to connect the phone to the Internet.

Kindly give me the answer for the below questions.

Does this phone works well with wifi connection?
Are you able to view and surf sites without any problem with Wifi conn?
Are there any known issues with wifi with this phone?
What abt the quality of the pictures taken by camera?

Thanks in advance.

madantg

Ones complaining about battery were not using task killers and associated battery saving techniques.
could you please let me know, which are the apps/task killed using task killers. i am already using all the techniques like switching off gprs, gps, wifi, 15sec screen off, etc.

@vishald
i use wifi @home. no issues. though, some people complained about fonts, i am pleased with the display. it's great.
camera quality is amazing under light. since it doesn't have a flash, not so good under poor light conditions. camera has got some interesting features like smile detection, etc.

Last edited:

useranonymous

Hi all,

Firstly, please add me to the proud list of Galaxy 3 I5801 users :mrgreen: I am very happy to own this phone. It has plenty of good points, and a few bad ones too (battery, GPS).

For now, I would like to post my findings of the user reviews I have found on the net (the first one is well discussed in this thread).

Playground of the Mind: Samsung Galaxy 3 (i5801)- My Android Companion!
Review: My One Week Experience with Samsung I5801 A.K.A. Samsung Galaxy 3
Mobile Review : Samsung Galaxy 3 (GT-I5801) | Random Focus

I'll be happy to share my personal experience/suggestions regarding this phone, as I've been using it for around two months. So go ahead, fire away your queries !

sharma_atul85

Journeyman
Hi, So its been about 2 weeks am using this device... I have mix reactions for this..

Pros

1. Its touch is perfect and responds quickly.
2. Supports a lot of audio and video formats.
3. Android and supports a huge collection of applications and upgradable to 2.2 ver.
4. Big screen size 3.2" along with good colors to view images and videos.
5. Superior quality inbuilt speakers; sounds good.
6. One touch draggable menu to on/off wifi,bluetooth, GPS, vibration.
7. Good grip of phone in hand.And on placing the phone on grouund (screen facing up) speaker output port doesn't hide under device.
8. Very good call receiving audio quality and nice alphabetical list on vertical right to search contacts more quickly by scrolling down by finger; displays alphabet as well.
9. Very good camera in proper lightning conditions; can really beat any other fone of same resolutionn (without flash ).
10. finger swipe feature to zoom in/out images as in iphone.Sufficient programs preloaded in daily usage, fast processor, enough inbuilt memory ; shows ~190 MB; plus 2GB card.

cons:
1. It takes long time in when you click the phobook icon .In short takes some time to make a call or see call log or contacts.
2. I don't know why but am unable to play .dat movies. Even .avi movie hangs a bit a couple of time while watching full length movie.
3. Volume key up/down key should be on right side (left side currently). Also no dedicated camera key.
4. Battery drainage occurs very fast after 50% or so battery left.
5. in-ear earphones are of average quality or less I think.
6. GPS doesn't function properly all the times.
7. It hurts in the ear while making long duration calls as the metallic finish on the border is a bit upward compared to rest design.
8. It lags while displaying the content when you tilt the screen.
9. You need to clean the upper metallic finish on daily basis as it catches so much finger prints.
10. And you need to have a proper dimension image only in order to set it as wallpaper and every time you need to crop the image (compulsory).

**** This is alll that I came across. I may be wrong at some points .. Please correct me if am wrong !!!!!******

Also please suugest if theres any application to send free sms across India free of cost. I had installed 'handcent sms' it chared me the cost of the message. Your replies are much appreciated.

/** Latest::

1. I added a .mpg video to sd card using data cable and the fone prompted me to convert the video in playable format. I clicked yes and the video was automatically converted to .wmv format without loss of video quality.
2. You can play audio file by clicking the music image in playlist/ all songs. means we can play the audio file without actually going to music player and play one song at a time. Instead when all songs are listed click on audio image and the song will play/pause.

**/

Last edited:

Aditya11

Journeyman
HI to all G3 users,

I am planning to buy this phone. However I will be using my home wifi connection to connect the phone to the Internet.

I use the same setup. :)

Kindly give me the answer for the below questions.

Does this phone works well with wifi connection? Absolutely.
Are you able to view and surf sites without any problem with Wifi conn? Yes.
Are there any known issues with wifi with this phone? No.

What abt the quality of the pictures taken by camera?

I find it pretty good for a non-flash cam.

And you need to have a proper dimension image only in order to set it as wallpaper and every time you need to crop the image (compulsory).

Use Flikie Wallpapers app. Not only does it offer a vast collection of really cool wallpapers, but it appropriately sets the desired image as wallpaer wihtout needing the crop. You can also save these images locally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom