Official Samsung Galaxy SL (i9003) Thread

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Ok, so I installed the latest firmware from Samfirmware. It is a bug-fix rom of the previous one it seems. Till now no issues. Atleast that SOD is gone. I will post more reviews in the morning.

guys I think you can flash your mobiles with this latest offering from Samfirmware. It is stable with no bugs. I have yet to test some games (Angry Birds was not working in earlier rom). Moreover there were some reports in xda that mkv files cannot be played on this one.

WTF!!!!

BTW It's nice to hear that finally a bug-free GB ROM... :D :D

Will install it once i return from my native. Mean while expecting you to post a short review

@tarey_g
which firmwire you are using. If XXKB3 2.2, then try the GPS fix in XDA forums. If GB, then no idea.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Tried GPS fix, the GPS is so horrible that if I am in open area I get max 2 satellites, while my friend's Xperia Arc get 20 satellites !!!!

wwwescape

Journeyman
Hi,

I've been trying GPS lately and been having problems on my Samsung Galaxy S LCD I9003 (Froyo 2.2.1). Either I never get a fix on satellites or sometimes it fixes on 1-3 satellites in some rare cases and keeps changing between 1-3 fixes. I searched the web for any solutions and many users reported that GPS Aids V2 solves the issue but it does not help me. Infact when I use GPS Aids V2, 'Current NTP Server' shows 'without information', please see screenshot below:

*img402.imageshack.us/img402/6016/20110704102329.png

Is anyone else facing such an issue with GPS and can anyone please help.

Thanks.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Hi,

I've been trying GPS lately and been having problems on my Samsung Galaxy S LCD I9003 (Froyo 2.2.1). Either I never get a fix on satellites or sometimes it fixes on 1-3 satellites in some rare cases and keeps changing between 1-3 fixes. I searched the web for any solutions and many users reported that GPS Aids V2 solves the issue but it does not help me. Infact when I use GPS Aids V2, 'Current NTP Server' shows 'without information', please see screenshot below:

Is anyone else facing such an issue with GPS and can anyone please help.

Thanks.

I have the same problem, contacted Samsung and they told me to visit service center. That's the reason I have not yet upgraded to 2.3, want to see what they do about this.
My friend's Xperia arc and HTC wildfire connect to 20 satellites when I am stuck to just 2.

wwwescape

Journeyman
Is the official Gingerbread 2.3.3 update already out? I thought it was due in the next 2 weeks...

Also I've got 2 more questions...

I rooted my phone and tried overclocking using SetCPU... Does anyone know how to use this app to overclock the Samsung Galaxy S LCD I9003?

I've come across the Chainfire3D app... Is it safe to use on the Samsung Galaxy S LCD I9003 and does it help?

mandar5

Youngling
hey guys whats the price of ths mobile in mumbai?
is it better than galaxy s and Nexus S?

I meant Galaxy Ace?

Terabyte

In the zone
hey guys whats the price of ths mobile in mumbai?
is it better than galaxy s and Nexus S?

I meant Galaxy Ace?
Galaxy SL is priced at 19-20k.
It is better than Galaxy Ace but not Nexus S.
Nexus S has much better developer support and better graphics.
Also Nexus S will be the first to get the updates.
So get Nexus S if your budget is 20k.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I have the same problem, contacted Samsung and they told me to visit service center. That's the reason I have not yet upgraded to 2.3, want to see what they do about this.
My friend's Xperia arc and HTC wildfire connect to 20 satellites when I am stuck to just 2.

I didn't find any issue with my GPS. ;-)

Is the official Gingerbread 2.3.3 update already out? I thought it was due in the next 2 weeks...

Also I've got 2 more questions...

I rooted my phone and tried overclocking using SetCPU... Does anyone know how to use this app to overclock the Samsung Galaxy S LCD I9003?

I've come across the Chainfire3D app... Is it safe to use on the Samsung Galaxy S LCD I9003 and does it help?

You can't OC it seems, I tried as well and not useful though

Chainfire will improve your game's performance and i used it while playing HD games. Yes it is safe to use.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
I didn't find any issue with my GPS. ;-)

How many satellites are you able to lock with your phone , the max I got was 4. For precise triangulation more locks are needed, when I am traveling my position on the map does not update accurately, whereas on my friends wildfire it was very accurate and his position was updating in realtime as our vehicle moved further.

*i51.tinypic.com/339ptuc.png

wwwescape

Journeyman
Chainfire will improve your game's performance and i used it while playing HD games. Yes it is safe to use.

Please can you guide us to use Chainfire3D properly?

How many satellites are you able to lock with your phone , the max I got was 4. For precise triangulation more locks are needed, when I am traveling my position on the map does not update accurately, whereas on my friends wildfire it was very accurate and his position was updating in realtime as our vehicle moved further.

*i51.tinypic.com/339ptuc.png

Which app is this?

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Nothing to guide. Install the app, give it root permissions and run the app, it will reboot the phone and after that you can see the boost in the games.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Name of the app is GPS test, its a free app. I have seen reviewers using this app to test GPS related stuff.

*market.android.com/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest

I mailed Samsung about the GPS issue, the support is horrible. Following is the thread of email exchange so far.

Hi,
I have called Samsung care thrice and they always reply me that "some technical guy will contact you", have not got a single call yet. Adding insult to injury I got message from Samsung that my problem has been resolved ! really, without even talking to the customer and listening to the problem they were able to solve it ?
This is horrible support, other than automated reply mails nothing has happened as expected.

Gaurav

To: Gaurav
Sent: Tuesday, 5 July 2011 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Samasung Galaxy SL GPS not working

Dear Mr. Gaurav,

Thank you for patronizing Samsung Product.

I sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you. I have again forwarded your case to our department concerned. They will contact you shortly.

I appreciate your patience and request you to bear with us till then.

Thanking and assuring you for best services always.

Prashant Kumar
Customer Satisfaction Team - Support.India
Contact Numbers
MTNL/BSNL Users : 1800 110011 (Tollfree)
Others : 30308282 (Chargeable - To dial, prefix your local STD code)

------- Original Message -------
Sender : Gaurav
Date : Jul 05, 2011 12:08 (GMT+05:30)
Title : Re: Samasung Galaxy SL GPS not working

Hi,
As a response to this mail I got call from Mr. Vaibhav Vishay from Samsung support who suggested me to take my phone to the nearest service center. I called on Samsung customer care number to get the location of the service center, they provided me details of few locations. I called all provided centers (Dev communication, Creative Mobiles, Sharp telecom, etc) and each of the center told me that they are not partners with Samsung anymore ! 3 Days and several calls later and I am still unable to get my phone repaired, this is sad.

The service center info on the website and the customer support is misleading. Customer care also connected me to some technical person but that person did not seem to know anything about GPS and satellite locking, that representative told me that some other technical person will be calling me to assist with the problem in 2 hrs, and I am still waiting for the call after 24 hours.

I searched internet for the mentioned problem in the phone and many are suffering with the same issue, many say that Samsung shipped the phone with defective GPS module, I don't know how true it is but many are having exactly same problem as I have and there seems to be no solution and no place where I can get any solution. I tried the settings provided by some forums online to fix the issue but 4 is the max number of satellites I get lock on from my GPS and that too takes long time, my friend's Xperia and HTC wildfire phone lock around 20 satellites in few seconds.

Please help, I don't want to travel to other suburb to get my phone repaired.

Regards,
Gaurav

To: Gaurav
Sent: Monday, 27 June 2011 4:03 PM
Subject: Re: Samasung Galaxy SL GPS not working

Dear Customer,

Thank you for patronizing Samsung Product.

I sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you. With reference to your query, kindly visit an authorized service location nearest to you. For further clarification you may log on to the Samsung Website SAMSUNG Singapore - Main.

Alternatively, you may contact our SAMSUNG Customer Contact Center at 3030 8282 or 1-800-11-0011 (toll free).

Thanking and assuring you for best services always.

Saurabh Chopra
Customer Satisfaction Team - Support.India
Contact Numbers
MTNL/BSNL Users: 1800 110011 (Toll free)
Others: 30308282 (Chargeable - To dial, prefix your local STD code)

------- Original Message -------
Sender : Gaurav
Date : Jun 27, 2011 15:15 (GMT+05:30)
Title : Samasung Galaxy SL GPS not working

Hi,
I recently bought Galaxy SL i9003 from Pune, phone is good overall but the GPS does not work, it does not lock on to a single satellite. I have 2.2.1 installed on the phone with FROYO.DDKB2 build (latest available in Kies). I am truly frustrated that the GPS is not working out of the box, my old android phone was better in this aspect.
Please help, phone is useless without a working GPS.

Gaurav

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Camera should work. Try flashing twice.
SuperOneClick will be able to root your phone. After rooting while trying to send busybox you phone may stop responding or may even go to "Kernel Panic Mode" (mine did). Just restart and it will be rooted. :)

Top Bottom