Official Samsung Galaxy SL (i9003) Thread

dharmil007

Journeyman
Gingerbread still not available even though it has been launched 7 months ago on Nexus S.

@Dharam, Get a Nexus S instead... It costs the same as this phone... has similar (or even better) hardware... You can also get the original Galaxy S.

ThankS for the suggestion.
But i Feel it has following -ve points as compare wid SL, which i dont want to sacrifice

Nexus S
- NO 720P recording
- NO microsd support
- No FM radio
- No smart dialing

Galaxy Sl
- no Flash
- Nexus has better Graphics processor
- Nexus has faster updates & custom roms

i Think i can compromise all above 3 points of GALAXY SL over NEXUS.
But Nexus S has serious drawBacks, acc. to my usage

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
AndroidFan, please for God's sake, please stop poking nose in this thread. If u have personal prob with this handset please open a new thread to spread awareness. I really hate it when u come here and misguide ppl...

@All: Samfirmware is going to roll out a new firmware by end of this week

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
Gagan, I dislike Galaxy SL. I have used it... and I don't like the phone at all... I don't want Dharam to buy that phone and then blame Android for the lag and force closes he will face with that phone...

The user experience is totally non-satisfactory because of Samsung Touchwiz skin. IMO, original Galaxy S is a lot better choice... Galaxy SL i9003 is a failure...

I was playing Falling Fred on the SL yesterday... and it lagged! This is so unacceptable for a 19k phone... Even Go Ex Launcher lags like hell...

Let Samsung release a stock Gingerbread ROM for this phone and I will be happy... the current ROMs for this phone are buggy. Don't buy this phone...

dharmil007

Journeyman
Gagan, I dislike Galaxy SL. I have used it... and I don't like the phone at all... I don't want Dharam to buy that phone and then blame Android for the lag and force closes he will face with that phone...

The user experience is totally non-satisfactory because of Samsung Touchwiz skin. IMO, original Galaxy S is a lot better choice... Galaxy SL i9003 is a failure...

I was playing Falling Fred on the SL yesterday... and it lagged! This is so unacceptable for a 19k phone... Even Go Ex Launcher lags like hell...

Let Samsung release a stock Gingerbread ROM for this phone and I will be happy... the current ROMs for this phone are buggy. Don't buy this phone...

s0 acc. to u SL is not a good fone & it lAgs ??? :( :( :( :( :( :(
i Was thinking of buying it.

Which else do u suggest ??

dharmil007

Journeyman
^^ Open a new thread and ask this question please, or PM him. This thread is not for these kinda questions.

can u pls. answer my other questions which i have asked related to Galaxy SL.
i want to know that answers & if a user who uses Galaxy SL would be a lot helPful.

Galaxy SL

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Hey i want to buy Galaxy SL.
Can anyOne help me wid this queries.
1. How is the battery Life of the fone ??
2. 2GB of apps space, is dont u think small {& can we install apps on Memory card}
3. Are there any issues wid the phone ??
4. Custom Roms available for this fone ??

On single full charge battery last one day on light usage. Mild browsing/chatting and around 30 min of calling.
I use it heavily as I check my twitter/facebook and Gmail while in office (these sites are blocked in office) so I need to charge it again in office. Upon return, I need to put it back in charger.
We all have rooted our phones. So yes, apps can be installed on external SD card. Anyways I do not feel internal memory is less. But if someone wants to install every other useless app, then it is different story. But you need to root it to install in external storage (for free).
The only issue is with GPS. It doesn't lock to satellites easily. Apart from that I haven't faced any issue. If someone says this is buggy phone or lags while usage is purely a personal experience. Never happened with me.
Custom ROMs are not there and I don't see them coming in near future. Though GB is just around the corner as unofficial updates are already there (I am on GB :), with no issues)

I will post video of Falling Fred which doesn't lag in my mobile soon. I have played it already.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
I dont know why, but the reply to the thread started by Dharmil is getting posted in this thread :|

Hey i want to buy Galaxy SL.
Can anyOne help me wid this queries.
1. How is the battery Life of the fone ?? (good compared to other similar phones)
2. 2GB of apps space, is dont u think small {& can we install apps on Memory card} (Yes we can)
3. Are there any issues wid the phone ?? (GPS is sh1t, same is with is Galaxy S)
4. Custom Roms available for this fone ?? (None yet and no sign of someone porting Cyanogen on this one)

SL is not a bad phone, but if it does not meet your req then its a waste. None of the games that I have tried have lagged on the phone, but i haven't checked many because I don't like to play games on cellphones.
If you want SL, take mine. :D

I will suggest you to get nexus S, having XDA support for a phone means a lot. Your phone always has something new to offer.

Last edited:

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
maybe some mod merged the threads

Adding to above, yes I admit that it is not the best phone, but it is best in offer in the price range.
You may like Nexus S, but seriously limitation of 16GB memory with no scope of increasing it turns me off.

dharmil007

Journeyman
maybe some mod merged the threads

Adding to above, yes I admit that it is not the best phone, but it is best in offer in the price range.
You may like Nexus S, but seriously limitation of 16GB memory with no scope of increasing it turns me off.

yea bro, me too havin gthe same problem wid Nexus S.
OtherWise the phone is really good.
Just No MicroSD support is BiG problem

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Someone please try update the phone using Kies. According to AndroidOs.in, GB is available now:

Samsung Galaxy SL getting Gingerbread update in India? | AndroidOS.in

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Whats the use of updating via Kies. It PITA. BTW Those who still updated to GB, please try.

@gagan007
Is there anything new in the official update?

Also, i am facing this issue, My battery is draining badly. Even if i keep it idle, it's draining and not even last for single day. This issue only after updating to GB. Its running on KKP9 update.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
but I am also on GB XXKP9, need to charge two times only. That too I use it continuously (except few patches of inactivity).

Anyways I read about this while in office so no chance of trying...I know Kies is PITA (hehehe had to search for that slang ;) ) but if it gives official update then I am ready to roll :D
I tried OTA update from Settings > Software Update > Check for update. Nothing in there :(

But I am also worrying about is, as I am already on GB (unofficial version), will I be able to get official update?

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Kies is a worst software ever made and one thing samsung screwing up with their mobiles, is Kies. I tried now but nothing shows up.

BTW Is there any fix for battery drain issue?

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Ohh yeah I forgot about that. So what I am doing is, using apps like Android Optimizer I have disabled many startup items. I keep it a widget of Android Booster on my home to kill inactive programs too. This way I have noticed that there is huge increase in battery life.

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ *sigh* So we have to do it every now and then. If i am in office, i'll use the phone rarely but still battery drains. So i have to kill apps frequently. :facepalm:

OP
furious_gamer

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Found Juice Defender useful, but not upto the expectations. The Green Power BETA is OK and till now doing fine. Still turned off Wi-Fi, Data network and battery not last for a whole day in light usage. I wish i could've stayed with that crappy Froyo. At least battery lasted for one day.

Top Bottom