Official Android discussion thread

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Admins and moderators can view IP addresses of all users.

This is how I saw that that user has logged in from the US and India within one hour.

Users who use a VPN to post are usually spammers or SEO workers who post links to promote a website or to boost search rankings. This user has not done so yet, so I have not taken any action. But if they do then I'll take action.

I usually verify all new users this way.

Gonna get the OnePlus 10 Pro tomorrow at the sale and is it worth it because it didn't survive the durability test of jerryrigeverything! And is there any screen protector or case I can get to protect it from damages?
Forget the durability test, I feel it's just an expensive phone that is difficult to justify. So take your call on money matter. Even at 30k+, you don't have a good all-rounder phone. S20 FE 5G comes close, but it's old now & android 13 will be its last OS. Its hardware is still great for sure. Can consider Samsung A52S 5G as well. S21 FE has exynos, other new flagships with Qualcomm S888 or SD Gen 1 are hot SoCs, so negative points there.

Chris_steve

Broken In
Forget the durability test, I feel it's just an expensive phone that is difficult to justify. So take your call on money matter. Even at 30k+, you don't have a good all-rounder phone. S20 FE 5G comes close, but it's old now & android 13 will be its last OS. Its hardware is still great for sure. Can consider Samsung A52S 5G as well. S21 FE has exynos, other new flagships with Qualcomm S888 or SD Gen 1 are hot SoCs, so negative points there.
Thank you Minato sensei It does feel like an expensive phone with the same specs as the other budget phones, and I was thinking about getting other phones like Xiaomi 12 pro or Samsung S22 but these phones have the same specs, and I kinda like OP10 Pro! Anyway, I'm gonna get it in exchange for my S21 Plus.

Thank you Minato sensei It does feel like an expensive phone with the same specs as the other budget phones, and I was thinking about getting other phones like Xiaomi 12 pro or Samsung S22 but these phones have the same specs, and I kinda like OP10 Pro! Anyway, I'm gonna get it in exchange for my S21 Plus.
S21+ to OP10 Pro, seriously? In the camera department, you might end up disappointed, performance should be better though as Exynos is worse than even the 2 bad SD SoCs. Anyways, your call.

Chris_steve

Broken In
S21+ to OP10 Pro, seriously? In the camera department, you might end up disappointed, performance should be better though as Exynos is worse than even the 2 bad SD SoCs. Anyways, your call.
Maybe OP10 Pro can have a better camera and performance. I'll give it a try and if I don't feel it right as you said, I'll just return it!

kaz

right here
How do you guys feel about the current state of Android phones?

IMHO, these Chinese players have screwed the market with high-end specs and pathetic software. I bought countless Mi phones for family members and friends. Though never personally used any until recently. I got a Mi Pad 5 and borrowed my brother's Note 8 Pro as my secondary phone (gifted him the K50i). Both have tons of bugs which no reviewer would ever tell us.

Every Mi Pad 5 update comes with a new issue. The installation of the last update wasn't going above 70% even after multiple attempts and clearing the updater app cache/data. Finally, I had to download the complete ROM to install the update. Now after downloading the current update, it asks to reboot the device and after the reboot, it would again ask me to do the same. Rebooted 4-5 times, yet the update hasn't been installed. Android 12 update has been rolled out recently and that is another mess to deal with.

The Redmi Note 8 is buggy as hell and the dark mode implementation on Miui is pathetic. Sometimes when I exit from an app by going back, the home screen would be blank without any icons. I have paired a Bluetooth device which won't show up in the smart unlock section. Read online that paring another device might help show the first one in the smart unlock, yet to test that. Whatsapp status image gets automatically blurred after being downloaded, force closing the app fixes that.

The K50i's RAM management is so shit that it can't even handle 3-4 chrome tabs without reloading the pages. The phone was launched in July and till now there has been no update to fix that. I suggested my brother to consider the A52s, but he was overwhelmed by the MTK 8100 chip in K50i.

These small things make a lot of impact on the user experience, at least for me. That is the reason I switched from OP7T to S20+ 2 years ago.
I'm not sure if these issues exist only in Mi phones or other Chinese phones as well.
Why is everyone running behind gaming phones with a high refresh rate display and 100W+ charging speed? Does no one care for a good user experience these days? Apart from Samsung, is there any Android manufacturer we can rely on?

Personally, beyond 20k, I prefer Samsung, as I need an overall good phone. But most Samsung phones are bad as well, like I won't consider any Exynos one. So options are few. Even in Samsung you have to spend time to delete unnecessary apps, set it up right in first boot, so on.

Sadly no other option other than Samsung in high end space, OP was good, had its software issues but is worse now. I own S20FE 5G, I don't feel any phone is a good upgrade to it. SD 8 Gen 1 has thermal & battery life issues as well, like S888 or exynos.

Apple - that has a different set of issues. I will rather live with a mid-range android than spend so much on Apple.

kaz

right here
Personally, beyond 20k, I prefer Samsung, as I need an overall good phone. But most Samsung phones are bad as well, like I won't consider any Exynos one. So options are few. Even in Samsung you have to spend time to delete unnecessary apps, set it up right in first boot, so on.

Sadly no other option other than Samsung in high end space, OP was good, had its software issues but is worse now. I own S20FE 5G, I don't feel any phone is a good upgrade to it. SD 8 Gen 1 has thermal & battery life issues as well, like S888 or exynos.

Apple - that has a different set of issues. I will rather live with a mid-range android than spend so much on Apple.
We can still get some decent Samsung phones around 25k. But, under that, we only have Chinese crap and I don't know what to suggest to people who are asking for suggestions.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Interesting part is this that those miui bugs vary person to person for same device.

I buy only best hardware device suitable for me. And then custom rom is there for daily driver.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Interesting part is this that those miui bugs vary person to person for same device.

I buy only best hardware device suitable for me. And then custom rom is there for daily driver.
Same, I've stopped recommending Xiaomi phones primarily now because of hardware issues on top of their already crap UI. BBK phones are in the blacklist and looks like in order to get a good phone with custom rom support, the only option is a Pixel device :(

Same, I've stopped recommending Xiaomi phones primarily now because of hardware issues on top of their already crap UI. BBK phones are in the blacklist and looks like in order to get a good phone with custom rom support, the only option is a Pixel device :(
Pixel has worse after sales service than Xiaomi & BBK apparently. So there's that.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Pixel has worse after sales service than Xiaomi & BBK apparently. So there's that.
I remember, LG nexus 5, after software update was failing to boot. Company was denying free motherboard replacement service for warranty holders too. And asking users to update their devices in lg service center.

2 friends have nexus 4 and 5 in working condition.

Top Bottom