Official Android discussion thread

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Google has signed an agreement with all major phone manufacturers to push their google dialer which only record calls after alerting the other party so as to be in accordance with various US states laws which prohibit such "secret call recordings" as google has to follow US laws. The restrictions are at kernel level so even after rooting the phone you won't be able to achieve the functionality of recording calls like earlier even by using 3rd party apps incl paid ones(even installing older dialer apk won't work, this trick used to work in some older models but not anymore). Currently all such recording apps bypass this by either capturing audio of other party via phone microphone(low volume/inaudible) or speakerphone(no privacy in a public place plus external audio interference) or by creating a virtual 3rd party conference call at app server which then record both parties audio(again privacy issue as recording app has full access to call audio). This was adopted by Xiaomi in somewhere around mid 2020 while realme adopted it a bit later in 2020(poco f2 has the Mi dialer but later versions don't). Samsung is currently not following it at least in India probably because they are big enough to resist google's pressure.

I am surprised many people don't know about it, my friend recently purchased realme Narzo 30 & he confirmed that on enabling call recording there is a loud announcement of call being recorded audible to both him & the other party at the start of the call.

@Zangetsu

didn't find much time so couldn't check all these. so like cube acr or boldbeast cr don't work. anyone tried these on newer models?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
didn't find much time so couldn't check all these. so like cube acr or boldbeast cr don't work. anyone tried these on newer models?
They work by employing the same bypass methods: microphone recording, speakerphone recording, virtual 3rd party conference call. Each method has thier own pros & cons & none of them is as good as call recording feature found in older phone models.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
35K is absolutely the best price for S20FE!! I would suggest this over any phone if you can afford this phone. Also, I have a MotoG5+ and I am not that impressed with their memory management. It's a phone from 2017 but still, a phone with almost Stock UI should have more resources to manage in memory apps. I don't know how much they have improved. Samsung A6+ with inferior hardware was slightly better in this department. Samsung does have good overall package of software+hardware, especially on S20FE.

Is S20FE's price justified (around 35-39K) over Moto Edge Fusion? Are there any better options?
Easily, for S20 FE 5G. The only cons for me are the big size & a bit inaccurate fingerprint reader (it still has like 90%+ success rate, but sometimes need 2nd try).

I bought it for 34k during the amazon sale last week. Even at 40k, its an easy recommendation & IMO you won't get anything major by spending 2x on other flagship phones, even S21 ultra. S20 FE 5G will get android 12 & 13 updates.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Easily, for S20 FE 5G. The only cons for me are the big size & a bit inaccurate fingerprint reader (it still has like 90%+ success rate, but sometimes need 2nd try).

I bought it for 34k during the amazon sale last week. Even at 40k, its an easy recommendation & IMO you won't get anything major by spending 2x on other flagship phones, even S21 ultra. S20 FE 5G will get android 12 & 13 updates.
I also want to echo the same thing. Earlier I actually forgot to mention about the fingerprint sensor. It is exactly as you said. But it is not too much of a issue. Hoping this will be resolved in future updates.

I also want to echo the same thing. Earlier I actually forgot to mention about the fingerprint sensor. It is exactly as you said. But it is not too much of a issue. Hoping this will be resolved in future updates.
Nope, won't be solved as it was similar in my S8 plus S20 FE 5G has been out in market for almost a year now (outside India). Sometimes it takes 2 tries. Honestly, some reviewers just pointed that con out, hence I mentioned it, but for me its not a big hassle.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Does Android device supports USB C hub?
I want to connect Xiaomi Redmi, Poco, Motorola, realme mobile to 4k TV.
But most hubs are 4k 30hz, not 4k 60hz.
Ugreen, baseus have 4k 60hz.
Can anyone suggest 4k 60hz usb c hub?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Does Android device supports USB C hub?
I want to connect Xiaomi Redmi, Poco, Motorola, realme mobile to 4k TV.
But most hubs are 4k 30hz, not 4k 60hz.
Ugreen, baseus have 4k 60hz.
Can anyone suggest 4k 60hz usb c hub?

AFAIK, only Samsung and OnePlus supports it. Other phones mostly use USB 3.0 converted to c. Instead of DP certfication.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Is there any way I can calculate battery charging and discharging cycle? For mobile battery and Power Bank?
Also how to calculate Battery life degradation and degradation rate after Battery completed its charging discharging cycles?
If powerbank says 2000 cycles will work at full efficiency then after 2000 cycles battery life will start decreasing at some rate. Maybe 0mAh to 5mAh charge discharge cycle.

Chris_steve

Broken In
Gonna get the OnePlus 10 Pro tomorrow at the sale and is it worth it because it didn't survive the durability test of jerryrigeverything! And is there any screen protector or case I can get to protect it from damages?

Last edited:
Top Bottom