Official Android discussion thread

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I've some questions for Android users :-

1. Does it reads PDF files? If not, any free app.
2. Does it reads ODT files? If not, any free app.
3. What about MS Office files?
4. Does HTML mail, like newsletters etc, appear on it the way they do on a mail client?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
1. Does it reads PDF files? If not, any free app.
Yes. Earlier this was an issue. however now there are either applications that work locally or may use workarounds to display the pdf file.

2. Does it reads ODT files? If not, any free app.
I believe Androffice may open odt files but I'm not sure if it is free or know the extent of its functionality.

3. What about MS Office files?
Yes Word and Excel files work. Check out Documents to Go. There might be individual readers as well. And not to mention a range of server based rendering services.

4. Does HTML mail, like newsletters etc, appear on it the way they do on a mail client?
Gmails client on Android does at least Im not sure about the other clients since I don't use anything else other than that. Of course you vould use the browser but then like expected you would see it as the way it was intended for a browser.

jain_pranav

Broken In
Finaly bought samsung spica :D
D phone is amazing n im also nw a part of android os user on this forum :)
Letz keep updating this thread with new apps which users come across..

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Finaly bought samsung spica
D phone is amazing n im also nw a part of android os user on this forum
Letz keep updating this thread with new apps which users come across..
Hey welcome aboard. I definitely think you made a good purchase. Be free to share your experience.

dushi23

Right off the assembly line
I have been using this keyboard for few days and this is really good! A very noble way of typing or shall I say swiping :). My speed has also increased to an extent.

Grab it from here and give it a shot. Its fun and surprisingly very very accurate. Don't forget to take the small (in- built) tutorial before you start using it. Install and have fun :). Should work on Samsung phones too.

*img693.imageshack.us/img693/6549/swype.png

P.S. I hope developers have patented this before Apple copies and counter sues them ;-).

Hey i installed it on my spica..but i m not been able to find the location where it is installed on my cell...please help!!

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
^^
Goto Settings-> Locale & text
Select Swype as default there, that's it.

if you want number pad then start swiping from the swype button(the one you see with a blue line in bottom left corner) onto anywhere on the keyboard.
For editing the word swype from the swype button on to sym button next to it.
It is confusing initially, but you'll get used to it in a couple of day's time :)

dushi23

Right off the assembly line
^^
Goto Settings-> Locale & text
Select Swype as default there, that's it.

if you want number pad then start swiping from the swype button(the one you see with a blue line in bottom left corner) onto anywhere on the keyboard.
For editing the word swype from the swype button on to sym button next to it.
It is confusing initially, but you'll get used to it in a couple of day's time :)

Thnx a ton dude!!!!:smile:

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Couldn't wait for the official Samsung release, So flashed mine with 2.1 via Odin :))
Gotta go fiddle with it and I'll post my views on it afterwards :))

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
^^ Post your experience dude. On my device Eclair has always been slow (without RAM hack). Still waiting for a prefect 2.1 build.

BTW I tried installing Fennec my phone rejects is outright!

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Thanks...will read it at leisure tonight while watching MI vs. CSK match (wow! what a contest this gonna be :) ).

Anyways since I was mostly on Cynogen's and now on SuperD's ROM one complaint that I always had from listeners from the other side was low call volume. After Googling I realized that the problem was more widespread than I initially thought. Anyways to cut long story short the fix is here and it works! Since applying the fix complaints have come down drastically. Apply the fix if you have a similar problem.

Top Bottom