Official Android discussion thread

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
What do you intend to update?
Apps? Baseband? Kernal? ROM? :?

its an official update so have to take it as rom. i doubt anything will be erased as these are mostly bug fixes or upgrades with the same tree (4.0.3 to 4.0.4). still take backup on phone itself.

Terabyte

In the zone
Don't know where to post it exactly, hopefully it will do here
Dead Trigger game is now available for free on Google Play for wrong reasons.
More details here...

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
its an official update so have to take it as rom. i doubt anything will be erased as these are mostly bug fixes or upgrades with the same tree (4.0.3 to 4.0.4). still take backup on phone itself.

ya thats my main concern but I need some help on that.

can HTC Sync backup my contacts/sms/notes on PC (just like Nokia PC Suite).
or do I have to use some 3rd party tools to take backup.?

coolfire92

Lurking Around
Don't know where to post it exactly, hopefully it will do here
Dead Trigger game is now available for free on Google Play for wrong reasons.
More details here...

This is just sad!These devs really work hard.We normally take apps and softwares for granted.

One thing i've learnt from my time on XDA(following rom progress,reporting bugs,testing patches) and android is how much effort goes into developing,testing and bugfixing problems.

This especially with devs for android.They code-debug day and night to add new features or port new versions for free only expecting appreciation and respect and never demand any money.Some generous enough donate.

Even though i don't have a credit card or anything to buy apps i always use free apps.I have a android device since a year and using free or apps with ads is not horrible or crippling(in terms of features,performance,usabilty) as people say.
Though paid apps have their place.Once i get something to buy apps the first app i will buy is Tasker :p

coolfire92

Lurking Around
ya thats my main concern but I need some help on that.

can HTC Sync backup my contacts/sms/notes on PC (just like Nokia PC Suite).
or do I have to use some 3rd party tools to take backup.?

Haven't you synced your contacts with google?That should take care of contacts.
There are many apps on play store that can backup sms.
For notes no idea,maybe you could use app like evernote or something to sync notes as well .
And if you are rooted titanium backup will take care of it all :wink:

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Finally after searching I've got this software
Wondershare MobileGo Android Manager
it can take backup of all things on android phone...

How to hard reset android phone(Erasing all things in phone memory),like in Nokia we had some codes?

R2K

In the Zone
Yesterday I found that some app named Market downloader is downloading way too much data (around 8 mb). I use onavo app to keep a tab on data usage btw. Does anyone know what this app actually is " Market downloader" I was actually using google play to download an app with just 880k in size and i'm pretty sure there is no way that much data will be used for that.

BTW i'm using stock ICS from Sony

coolfire92

Lurking Around
Yesterday I found that some app named Market downloader is downloading way too much data (around 8 mb). I use onavo app to keep a tab on data usage btw. Does anyone know what this app actually is " Market downloader" I was actually using google play to download an app with just 880k in size and i'm pretty sure there is no way that much data will be used for that.

It's probably something like a download manager for play store working in background.And android is always communicating with google's servers so.....

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

I can't find it on Google Play.
And the rule of the thumb is try NOT to install an app from sources other than the official app market.
But some apps on official market can also be malicious, although a number of users using it and rating do gives a fair idea.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

hate to see my guides go to waste :(
MarketUpdater ---> Starts with Market/Play and checks for updates.

Source: APKs, their purpose and risk in removal

Most likely Play Store was updating to latest version. it weights in at ~5.2MB.

dx1

Broken In
Does any one has any idea when Samsung galaxy Ace 2 will be launched in India. :idea: Any insider news, anything.....

I am currently holding my decision to buy HTC One V only bocz of this. I have been a little sceptical about HTC one V thanks to tons of bricking and pathetic after sales posts on net.:wink:

noob

Cyborg Agent
Wow..this is fantastic...My GN was 100% charged yesterday morning and today it is still at 45%. Check the stats. Usage : All Google services sync + exchange account + POP account + FB + twitter sync ON 24x7 on 3G. 10 Min calls and 2-3 hours of music. GPS off.

Another major difference is Chrome for Android..it works flawlessly on Nexus device...never seen such faster and responsive browser on Android. on SGS , it was not that smooth. It shows that Google needs to do lots of work on Chrome for Android.

[IMG]*i.imgur.com/yqGXr.png[/IMG]

Top Bottom