Official Android discussion thread

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Ouch! 38k is wayyyyy too steep man!
The cost of technology :) . Anyway keep those posts coming . Today I ight move to Cyanogen ROM if I can find a definitive way to move to Cyanogen usin Amon Ra's Recovery ROM.

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Android Folks on TDF
Amitabhishek
Filled-Void
Sunny
Ksundar
Dhan_shh

May the community grow. Lets see the useful in the thread start to roll out !

I think Pat too owns a G1 so he is another Android user on TDF. As prices of Android devices come down we can expect more converts from Nokias and the like.

Mah main screen!

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/22090/snap20100114_194720.png

Finally, the proof of the 'MoDaCo Pwnage'
*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/22103/snap20100114_200738.png

Full view here- *www.imgx.org/public/view/full/22103
BTW isn't there any other way to take screenshots other than shaking my phone with shootme?

I use the DDMS method and I like it, I think its more convenient. Shaking your phone will not damage it just keep the grip sturdy :).

Wow! You can SSH into your Android device that's great :). Love that pic. thought of making it my Avatar

Thanks to all of you,I got it thro' a friend from UK,price is 38K (expensive,what to do?)

I'm still analyzing the phone,I got some screen shots:

(My BSNL 3G looks slightly faster in milestone than 3GS)

Maiils are seen clearly like iphone,no doubt,(my initial thought was not correct)
BUT overall Touch UI is slightly better in iphone 3GS

Call Voice clarity is reallly nice,even better than iphone......

More to come....

Even if available through official channel its unlikely that it will be available under 35K. I agree touch UI is slightly better in iphone3GS. How is the browsing experience? Can you view Flash sites?

Edit: @Fillvoid: Give it a shot this weekend if you like; ensure you make recovery ROM just in case things go wrong.

Last edited:
^
Yeah edited that pic with PicSay. Awesome app!

Just made a Nandroid backup of my phone. Thinking about installing Android 2.1(leaked version).

Nope just for Hero but XDA guys have managed to get it working on Magic. I'd say don't bother. It's buggy as hell and almost messed up my phone. I had to restore my phone through cmd. Back on 1.5. Although very buggy, it still offers some new features. You can always make a Nandroid backup and try it out for yourself.
Two days back I didn't know a thing about flashing and today I'm installing leaked builds of Android lol!

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Nope just for Hero but XDA guys have managed to get it working on Magic. I'd say don't bother. It's buggy as hell and almost messed up my phone. I had to restore my phone through cmd. Back on 1.5. Although very buggy, it still offers some new features. You can always make a Nandroid backup and try it out for yourself.
Two days back I didn't know a thing about flashing and today I'm installing leaked builds of Android lol!

You mean the Hero build is also too buggy atm? I have been contemplating flashing 2.x myself. Not much success in finding the right build till now.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
From what I understand some place folks have gotten an update that turns their phones into running 2.0 . I guess it hasn't gotten common enough. However there are plenty of posts stating tha there will be an update for Magic phones to move to Eclair.

Pat

Beyond Smart
I think Pat too owns a G1 so he is another Android user on TDF. As prices of Android devices come down we can expect more converts from Nokias and the like.

Yep sir..Another android user here..2.x rom builds have been available on XDA for dream/magic, but up until now camera drivers werent working. Just 2 days back, new drivers were leaked ;)
So we now have fully functional Eclair builds for both Dream as well as Magic.

A tip for everyone: Don't put too many widgets/icons on your home-screen and your phone will feel fairly snappy!

Does anyone here use Home replacement apps ? Some of them are really kick-ass but I am yet to try any. With the likes of sweeter home, GDE, ahome, home++ and tens of others, the options are galore..

Task for weekend: Upgrade my dream to Eclair ;)

Have fun guys!

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
A 'different' Review of "Motorola Milestone"

# A sturdy,metallic,bit bulky,high build quality device (I remember E71 for its metallic feel),just pocketable still heavy,

# Brilliant Display with unique 'unlock' gesture like dialling! (Only few mobiles came to my mind for great displays: iphone,xperia,dopod u1000 & htc hd)

# Sliding mechanism looks 'stiff',needs time for easy pull,keypad is cramped not easy to type,but we can pratice it,

# Onboard keyboards are many,but still mistyping is more common (iphone KB is better)

# A small green coloured LED flashes for few minutes (on the Right upper corner) whenever mails or sms arrive,

# Messaging and mails are clearly seen,

# Reading HTML mail is a pleasure here,Only Gmail and MS Exchange server mails are 'Push' enabled,Even pop3 mails are only 'pull' enabled?! Surprisingly other Free emails are not supported? (in iphone yahoo is push enabled not gmail but we can use mobileme account for getting 'push')

# Browsing is absolutely delightful,we can view almost all flash pages with very few exceptions,but except for a few sites,Safari browser in iphone is equally great!

# Widgets are catchy,customizable home screen looks really great!

# Battery looks decent,even with 3G on,arrival of many mails,browsing for a long time,battery came nearly 1.5days (far far better than iphone,no doubt),At times back cover becomes 'HOT' probably due to 3G?!

# WiFi works well as usual,micro usb also performs well,"Moto Phone Portal" is a good concept,we can communicate with PC either thro wifi or usb!

# Apps and Games are increasing day by day,Surprisingly many free apps are available! I've not tried games much,it should be really goood!

# Camera looks ok,quality of pictures are not very bad (I remember 5MP of N95 is one of the Best camera for a mobile),I would say iphone 3GS camera is far better but FW updates can correct these problems,

# Videos are good,

# Social networking like facebook & twitter work very well,

# Maps and satnav are obsolete in India due to Government restritions,(Zooming is limited)

# Contacts fields have many options,useful

# Voice Clarity is just amazing,iphone has many problems like mild delay in voice,

# Playing Music is another nice feature,beleived to have 'stereo' speakers,iphone's music capability is unmatched!Playing video is good but still it is inferior to iphone

# Novel App like 'MySign' is a welcome trend,here you can write letters for shortcuts!

# Surprisingly there is no 'Tether' option here,may be expected in FW updates!

# Bluetooth functionality is similar to other high end mobiles!

# Now,we have a 'big'device with so many options of expanding its usage,Android is picking up day-by-day in making the mobile more friendly!

$ Conclusion $ :

1.For a busy person who feels 'tailor-made' mobile usage is a must,then iPhone 3GS is a Great Choice,Touch UI is ultimate in it,well defined apps,well prepared 'protocols' for most of its mobile usage! No deviation,well planned mobile,Android is still in primitive stage with so many commotion among updates like 'cupcake','Donut','Eclair'and more to come...

2.For a Freelancer who hates 'monopoly',mobile with many customizable options,'open source' usage,with huge scope for expansion then Android particularly 'Milestone' due to physical KB is a Great Choice!
Only we need 'open' mind!

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
A tip for everyone: Don't put too many widgets/icons on your home-screen and your phone will feel fairly snappy! Task for weekend: Upgrade my dream to Eclair ;)

Thanks for tip because rendering of home screen is probably the weakest link in Android. It takes a hell lotta time to render. BTW if G1 can be ported to Eclair then hell... even Magic can be ported :). Let us know if you succeed. All the best.

A 'different' Review of "Motorola Milestone"...

Indeed it was a nice review. A kind of review that you won't find on any website or magazine. The Android app store has lots of cool application, I recently downloaded a very addictive game "Shoot U". Try out its addictive.

Since I have been using Cyanogenmod ROM for a while now...I have come to realize lots of little featues/improvements that it offers. For example; the "contact " menu is inundated with customizable options:

*img687.imageshack.us/img687/527/contactsl.png

*img687.imageshack.us/img687/7631/contact2w.png

*img43.imageshack.us/img43/822/contacts3.png

Similarly SMS/message menu is full of options :):

*img43.imageshack.us/img43/5640/sms1.png

*img194.imageshack.us/img194/7758/sms2.png

God bless xda guys: :)

*img687.imageshack.us/img687/8669/contacts4.png

No two days are same for me on Android; everyday I am discovering something new:).

oval_man

Journeyman
Gr8 News for all 'Android' lovers::bananana:

Nexus One is available for Rs.33,241 from 20north.com

:flamethrower: So,you can give a big try!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dhan_shh,congrtz man...good review..but is it 'conclusion' or 'confusion'?

Anyway,you've done it!:number1::clap2::doublethumb:

Gr8 thread!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Yeah.. But it will not be officially supported in India.. So no use.. I hear HTC Bravo is releasing in March! Lets see if they release here too!

dhan_shh

Ambassador of Buzz
@amitabishek,thanks for 'shoot u',its nice

@oval-man,thanks for your info,useful site address,

Ok,anyone tried 'Paid' apps like "Airdrop" or "Antivirus Pro" or "SMobile Anti-Theft for Android" ? or any similar apps? kindly share your views,

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Buy milestone <30k officially (?) *www.androidos.in/2010/01/motorola-droid-milestone-in-india-buy.html

oval_man

Journeyman
30K for Milestone is a steal!:stirpot:

Now,for Newer Androids :reading::nanananana::hyper:

1.HTC Bravo:

The Bravo has a massive 3.7 inch WVGA AMOLED touchscreen display and it kind of resembles the HTC HD2.

*i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp357/oval_man/htc-bravo-android-big1.jpg

Another highlight of the smartphone is its 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, which, alongside the other features (512MB flash, 320MB RAM, HSPA, Wi-Fi, A-GPS, 3.5mm headset jack, 5MP camera with dual LED flash).

2.Motorola Shadow a.k.a "Nexus two"

Google Nexus2:
Motorola Shadow will be only 9mm thin,QWERTY kb,huge 4.3" touchscreen with 854 x 480 pixels,HDMI port,8MP cam with 1080p video recording!

*i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp357/oval_man/gsmarena_001a.jpg

Looks really SEXY :whistleblower::ashamed:

Pat

Beyond Smart
Mission Accomplished..G1 upgraded to Eclair and running lag-free...
*www.flickr.com/photos/37462099@N04/

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Gosh! The screenshot looks absolutely yummy! Can you please post the tut/resource. Any link for Magic? Please use your new build for a couple of days & post your review of eclair over cupcake. BTW Congrats! :)

Top Bottom