Nvidia reclaims the top spot with GTX 295

Status
Not open for further replies.

4T7

Journeyman
Introduction to the first 55nm consumer GT200

If it seems like it has been forever since NVIDIA has released an extremely high-end consumer graphics card, you'd be partially correct. The last release that NVIDIA aimed for the flagship spot with was the GeForce GTX 280 based on the GT200 architecture back in mid-June. Six months might seem like an eternity compared to some previous GPU release cycles and with the AMD Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB firmly taking the performance crown back in mid-July, NVIDIA has actually been off the top spot for enthusiast graphics for quite a while.

NVIDIA is hoping that all of that will change with the New Year as a new flagship graphics card makes it way to the scene in the form of the GeForce GTX 295. In the same lineage as the GeForce 9800 GX2 and 7950 GX2, this new card is in fact utilizing a pair of GT200-based GPUs on two PCBs all contained on a single dual-slot card. The core of these GPUs is based on the GT200 architecture of course, though these new parts are first consumer cards to see the new 55nm cores on them. (The underlying technology is the same though - see my first GT200 review for the full break down on this GPU's inner-workings.) This was no doubt a requirement as getting a pair of the very hot and power hungry 65nm GT200s was a difficult task.

The specs on the new GTX 295 are impressive:

* 480 stream processors (240 per core)
* 576 MHz core clock
* 1242 MHz shader clock
* 1000 / 2000 MHz GDDR3 memory clock
* 1792MB total frame buffer (896MB per core)
* 448-bit memory interface per core
* 28 total ROPs (14 per core)
* 160 texture units (80 per core)

Full Preview

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
i dun think so, as they are built on same GT200 cores.

such cards are released only to takeback the crown among competitors, and even nvidia knew this wont sell up as others.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^+1...nVidia is making these kinda cards every now and then to simply take the top spot. there is no actual improvements in the design

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Gtx 280 and 260 have been performance crowns at reolutions lower than 19*12. This is released to take the performance crown for resolutions of 24" and higher. At 1680 GTX260+ beats 4870x2 in world at war according to this preview.
Most of fps are overkill. No use upgrading yet. Also 4870x2 uses AFR so actually even 35 fps could feel like low 20 fps in worst case scenarios. I wonder if GTX295 uses AFR..

I am happy with my gtx280 and 22". Next upgrade after windows 7, openCL and dx11 become stable and many crysis like games are released for it. This will be for 15 months or more I guess.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hmmmm. yummy. but WTH!!! 50k for the card.

Officially, if you take the price out of the picture, they have the crown back.

this is really really interesting.

And how big should the PSU be?

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Price - 499$
Dx Version - 10

Performance exceeds that of HD4870X2, now AMD finally has to reduce it's price. It's still 499$ from the day of launch.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
wow. $499 is pretty good price. Means around 25k, which is a terrific price and considering that nvidia doesn't rob Indian consumers, It should be less than 30k and taht will be really really tempting.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^roflmao!!!

Every 18 months your card's framerate in games drops to 1/3rd.

Last edited:

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
games like Crysis and all were optimized for nVidia. but all newly released and up coming games r not optimized for any specific GPU architecture, so in future nVidia won't be dominating this FPS war anymore I think...

Arun the Gr8

Journeyman
games like Crysis and all were optimized for nVidia. but all newly released and up coming games r not optimized for any specific GPU architecture, so in future nVidia won't be dominating this FPS war anymore I think...

Well How do you know that???????

OP
4T7

4T7

Journeyman
and whats going on with AMD ?, they will be releasing a new one.
ATI HD49x0 series is coming in Jan next year but most probably it will be pitted against the lower end Nvidia cards, it would be an improvement over 4670 & 4650 and might end up faster than or equal to 4830 but priced less than that at the same time :D

If not nVidia and I don't think only AMD, then who, u r saying VIA Chrome LOLz.
S3 would be the leader then l0l :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom