Not able to buy anything

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

I am having a SBI debit card. It works fine when I use it at an ATM but when I enter the card details and cvv and click on the payment button, instead of taking me to the payment gateway page where it should ask the OTP I get this error

*oi60.tinypic.com/1zfud8k.jpg

I have tried using different PC's, Laptops but the result is the same. I tried using my friend's SBI cards on the same systems and they worked fine. The customer care tells me to contact the branch, the branch tells me to call the cc. When I try to lodge a complaint myself here *cms.onlinesbi.com/CMS/ it says that the debit card number is wrong. Even my friend's card number is getting a wrong number error here. I am not able to buy anything since the past 10 days :(
System time and date is auto synchronised with servers. Browser is already updated. I even tried in safe mode of Firefox hell I tried from different browsers, pc's, laptops but the result is the same. I tried adding money to Paytm wallet and Freecharge credits via their app and it worked fine in the phone. IDK what is the problem when we try to do the same via a pc or a laptop. What should I do? :(

Thanks

ratul

█████████████████
Hi Guys,

I am having a SBI debit card. It works fine when I use it at an ATM but when I enter the card details and cvv and click on the payment button, instead of taking me to the payment gateway page where it should ask the OTP I get this error

I have tried using different PC's, Laptops but the result is the same. I tried using my friend's SBI cards on the same systems and they worked fine. The customer care tells me to contact the branch, the branch tells me to call the cc. When I try to lodge a complaint myself here *cms.onlinesbi.com/CMS/ it says that the debit card number is wrong. Even my friend's card number is getting a wrong number error here. I am not able to buy anything since the past 10 days :(
System time and date is auto synchronised with servers. Browser is already updated. I even tried in safe mode of Firefox hell I tried from different browsers, pc's, laptops but the result is the same. I tried adding money to Paytm wallet and Freecharge credits via their app and it worked fine in the phone. IDK what is the problem when we try to do the same via a pc or a laptop. What should I do? :(

Thanks

Take a look at this: tls - Firefox:Secure connection failed(Error code:ssl_error_weak_server_ephemeral_dh_key) - Information Security Stack Exchange

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Take a look at this: tls - Firefox:Secure connection failed(Error code:ssl_error_weak_server_ephemeral_dh_key) - Information Security Stack Exchange

Thank you so much Ratul. The issue is resolved using the following method

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste ssl3 and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the security.ssl3.dhe_rsa_aes_128_sha preference to switch it from true to false (this usually would be the first item on the list)

(4) Double-click the security.ssl3.dhe_rsa_aes_256_sha preference to switch it from true to false (this usually would be the second item on the list)

That's it, you can test using: *www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
So all of this was just a browser config error ? You should have tried with different browser at the first place. Give Google chrome a try ;)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
So all of this was just a browser config error ? You should have tried with different browser at the first place. Give Google chrome a try ;)

He did mention that he tried different browsers as well as different computers.

Still, the solution does not make any sense as he also said that his friend's card was working which of course means that his browsers were working absolutely fine.

tkin

Back to school!!
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Someone is probably hijacking your connections and its happening at the network level, or it could be an isp issue, local isps often have incorrect configuration which ends up causing issues to secure connections. Your isps modems could be hijacked as well, someone is trying to intercept packets and causing the problem. Have you tried connecting your pc to a mobile 3g connection(use the phone as a router)?

Another issue can be your router if you're using one, try using the lan cable directly if you have one.

In short words something is messing with your network. It can be an attacker or an incorrect configuration or hardware fault.

But then again your friend's card should suffer from the same issue. If his card is working from your pc in the exact setup then something odd is going on at SBI's side. But I refuse to believe they would configure connections differently for different cards.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've faced some weird issue with my debit card. Was able to pay from mobikwik desktop web site but not from app. Same happened with paytm too on the same day. Both would go upto otp page and whenever I keyed in the OTP the transaction would just fail. The issue fixed automatically next day though.

isaac12345

Journeyman
Same issue's been happening with me for the past 2 days. Called SBI and they refused to file a complaint saying it will be resolved in a few hours. Pff! Idiots! So I tried chromium browser on linux mint and it worked.

tkin

Back to school!!
Good lord, SBI has disabled the Mastercard securecode, only OTP now, it will soon turn into Grameen bank of India.

Did they even stop to think that we might not have cellular network while paying using debit card, like sometimes I face it in my office.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Good lord, SBI has disabled the Mastercard securecode, only OTP now, it will soon turn into Grameen bank of India.

Did they even stop to think that we might not have cellular network while paying using debit card, like sometimes I face it in my office.

I suppose any such step is regulated by RBI not banks. Can't say about all the banks but a couple of banks I know are following the same route, eg- Kotak.

And how come following this step makes it a grameen bank ? Earlier people were foul crying that introduction of VbV/Secure code broke the international payment.

And Yes, banks do think that you might not have a cellular network, therefore they also provide an offline app for generation of OTP which I suppose you must be aware of.

tkin

Back to school!!
I suppose any such step is regulated by RBI not banks. Can't say about all the banks but a couple of banks I know are following the same route, eg- Kotak.

And how come following this step makes it a grameen bank ? Earlier people were foul crying that introduction of VbV/Secure code broke the international payment.

And Yes, banks do think that you might not have a cellular network, therefore they also provide an offline app for generation of OTP which I suppose you must be aware of.
HDFC is not forcing it, they give option to select between OTP and Securecode. Another reason I hate SBI is that they keep two different set of phone numbers, one for netbanking and another for debit card only. They are kept separately, updating one does not update the other. I had visited the branch twice, once to update the netbanking phone number, another time to update the kyc which did not update the debit card phone number apparently(they told me it would), so no otp for me. I have to visit the atm or branch to update the debit card number so that I could get the otp working. Three visits for one simple task.

I am not aware of any app that generates otp offline for SBI debit card payment because the OTP faq page does not mention it. If there is one please let me know.

Earlier people were foul crying that introduction of VbV/Secure code broke the international payment.

Does it work now for SBI? FYI international payment had been working for HDFC for a very long time now, I can even set limits. Not sure who were crying foul, most probably SBI customers, they would still be crying foul.

All I am saying that I am an educated person, I have been dealing with my finances electronically for a very long time now. SBI should give us an option to operate using securecode or vfv. I'll sign an undertaking if required. A lot of payment gateways have small timeout period, and mobile networks in our country are not in a very good condition, lots of time I had received otps after 5 mins, even for critical operations, with this step being forced by SBI I have to switch to netbanking which is an even less secure mode of payment.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
HDFC is not forcing it, they give option to select between OTP and Securecode. Another reason I hate SBI is that they keep two different set of phone numbers, one for netbanking and another for debit card only. They are kept separately, updating one does not update the other. I had visited the branch twice, once to update the netbanking phone number, another time to update the kyc which did not update the debit card phone number apparently(they told me it would), so no otp for me. I have to visit the atm or branch to update the debit card number so that I could get the otp working. Three visits for one simple task.

I agree with the SBI service part. I too had registered for the same this time.

I am not aware of any app that generates otp offline for SBI debit card payment because the OTP faq page does not mention it. If there is one please let me know.

Not sure if SBI Secure (SBI app for generating OTP) covers it as I never used card payment.

warrior123

Broken In
Open one extra account, turn off OTP and use it to transact online. It is much convenient as SBI was taking too much tim to deliver OTPs. Keep low balance in this account to avoid frauds.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Dear Guys,

I agree with all the comments that you have made. Now all of us here are facing this error while accessing onlinesbi.com

*oi62.tinypic.com/whik5c.jpg

How to bypass the above error? And yes we are using a shared network and we keep on facing weird problems because of our ISP SHITtel :(

Top Bottom