Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Re: Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership to Build a N

I feel Windows phone OS is the worst! (sorry fanboys)

I feel WP 7 tries to imitate Android..whatever it is nothing has ever created as much noise as Android phones(Apple iPad,iPod aside)

In mobile segment Android is the future.

If this partnership creates something even more ground breaking..battle will be interesting

sujoyp

Grand Master
Re: Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership to Build a N

People I think every OS should get a chance...

When IOS came people cried that it lacks this and that feature compared to symbian...
But now iphone is highest selling smartphone in just 3 years...and symbian is going to die..

What if in next 3 years Windows phone gets momentum and android dies:p

who ever says android is "the ultimate OS" can not be a techie...tech changes every year:p:p

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned

I feel Windows phone OS is the worst! (sorry fanboys)

I feel WP 7 tries to imitate Android..whatever it is nothing has ever created as much noise as Android phones(Apple iPad,iPod aside)

If this partnership creates something even more ground breaking..battle will be interesting

How can you say that ? Do you have any hands-on experience with WP7 ?
From whatever reviews & Videos I have seen, it has no correlation with Android- neither in features nor in the UI.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

for now, Phone7 is only for the highend. mainly cause of the serious H/W requirements & then the licensing. so till MS releases something like "Phone7 lite", Android will outsell MS stuff. in US it maybe a success cause it'll compete directly with the 30-35k droids & iphones but here, buying a 30k mobile which lacks some basic features, theres far better alternates.

but i feel by time Nokia releases their new crop of MS OS based mobiles, it'll get a couple of important updates. also if Nokia sell: S40, S60, MeeGo (very very unlikely), S^3, S^4 (possible), Phone7 based mobiles. it'll live.

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned

I think if Nokia puts S60 on 5-6k phones, i will sell pretty good in India. S60 is a smartphone OS, isn't it ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Nokia 5228 was suppose to cost 6k & have spec same as 5230 except 3G & no GPS. but it never made it here.

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned

Another Concept design is ready:

Second Nokia Windows Phone chassis flaunted at MWC, smaller and with even more colors
*i1.phonearena.com/images/articles/37550-thumb/ConceptNokiaWindowsPhones1.jpg

Source: Second Nokia Windows Phone chassis flaunted at MWC, smaller and with even more colors - Phone Arena

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

^^ i like the design

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!

let's say that MS will bring out the updated WP7 by end of this year (which is the probable date). Imagine where Android and iOS will be by that time?

even Android and iOS started with zero sales, isn't it... I can't believe you have said these lines! A new entrant doesn't mean it doesn't stand a chance right. If it really has capabilities it can overthrow the leader in due course of time...

it is leading the current scenario my friend.,nothing can be said for certain. I don't hate Android, I do not like Android...but I appreciate what it is capable of.

yes, that's the spirit...may the best man win :)

People I think every OS should get a chance...

When IOS came people cried that it lacks this and that feature compared to symbian...
But now iphone is highest selling smartphone in just 3 years...and symbian is going to die..

What if in next 3 years Windows phone gets momentum and android dies:p

who ever says android is "the ultimate OS" can not be a techie...tech changes every year:p:p

ditto dude...you saved a lot of energy of mine :)

drumster

Broken In

1. No Real Multitasking
2. No USB Tethering
3. No Cut, copy & paste (An update is t be released to address this issue)
4. No mounting as USB drive
5. Low number of apps, etc.

Its like saying, I will sell you diamonds, but only problem is that they wont glitter.

In my opinion, this is the worst decision that Nokia has made. They have effectively relegated themselves to a hardware manufacturer. Qt platform which held so much promise will now die a painful death. MeeGo which could have been the next big thing will now be neglected into oblivion.

What Elop has done is that he has set the stage for M$ to take over Nokia in a few years time. After the strategic tie-up announcement, Elop said that 2011 and 2012 will be transition years (Nokia tells investors that 2011 and 2012 will be 'transition years' -- Engadget) Does he have any idea how long two years are in the Mobile market? With the rapid pace of smartphone releases 2 years can equal 2 decades. Imagine where Android will be in 2 years time with the largest developer/ hacker community support.

What Nokia should have done is picked up Android (all that talk of Eric Schmidt not agreeing to a deal is bull-crap because Android is open source) and they should have customized it to provide a whole new experience. Look what HTC has done with Sense (although I hate sense, there is a whole bunch of people who absolutely love sense).

All in all, Nokia is finished with this step. They have latched onto a drowning piece of branch and I think in the medium term (4-5 years) - Nokia will be once again at crossroads - thinking what went wrong.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

even Android and iOS started with zero sales, isn't it... I can't believe you have said these lines! A new entrant doesn't mean it doesn't stand a chance right. If it really has capabilities it can overthrow the leader in due course of time...
They grew up because the Symbian Platform stagnated totally. By the time it was open sourced it was too little too late, and still couldn't really recover.
I don't see the same stagnation with iOS or Android, by the time WP7 will be "useable", Android would have moved leaps and bounds. The open source ecosystem will absolutely ensure that. 8)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!

maybe you are right...but Windows is not open source, Linux is. I absolutely do not want to have "that" discussion in this thread, but I hope you got the point.

Make no mistake by thinking I am prejudiced, but I think you are.

iOS is not open source and its popularity is also undeniable.

Open source or not, people like whatever makes them feel differently, thus I agree to your point that Nokia's stagnation paved way for other players.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Prejudiced? May be. Believing that the foundation on which Android is based in solid and that has a lot of potential with anyone being able to deploy and improve it, definitely.

iOS has the power of application support plus Hardware and Software integration, very much the forte of Apple, and along with its huge following, it's a solid mobile platform.

Not sure why are you bringing "Linux" into the picture here. If you want to compare the situation of PC market, then alright, but Smartphone market is not especially same as the PC market. However, if you are keen to make that analogy, then it will even more so reclaim the position of Android and iOS as them being a dominant OSes which a third OS will find difficult to break even if it is competent.

NainO

Believe Me or Not!!!

I think if Nokia puts S60 on 5-6k phones, i will sell pretty good in India. S60 is a smartphone OS, isn't it ?

Symbian Phones With 1GHz Chipsets And The UI Overhaul Are Still On The Menu

I dont think these will be available in 5-6k :)
And S60 sure is smartphone OS.

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned

^^ I'm not demanding touch-based 12mp camera phones running symbian. It would be great to have 5k phones (regular keypad ones) running S60, especially for poor chaps.

drumster

Broken In

I don't see the same stagnation with iOS or Android, by the time WP7 will be "useable", Android would have moved leaps and bounds. The open source ecosystem will absolutely ensure that. 8)

On a sidenote, just read in engadget that Cut-paste has been pushed out as a WP7 update... Multi-taking should be available this year (??) - prototype UI is already out

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned

Yes! WP7 will have WebOS-like cards for multitasking. The cut-paste update is scheduled for early March 2011 release.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

Yeah multitasking and ie9 are on the menu this year.

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned

Now read this satire on the alliance.
Source: FakingNews.com Outrage as Nokia CEO asks workers to use Internet Explorer | Faking News

Warning: This article is a false news meant for satire only.

Outrage as Nokia CEO asks workers to use Internet Explorer

Espoo, Finland. Nokia Corporation could soon see a massive uprising by its employees as its new CEO has asked them to use Internet Explorer over other web browsers as part of its deal with Microsoft. In a letter sent to already displeased employees, Nokia CEO has suggested a few “tips” aimed at putting the workers “at ease with” with the company’s decision to get into a strategic alliance with Microsoft.
“I need your support to make our alliance with Microsoft go beyond the blue screen,” Nokia’s CEO Stephen Elop, also a former Microsoft employee, appealed in his latest letter, “As partners, both the companies should work closely. For this, it’s essential that all of us should develop closeness with Microsoft and its products. So let’s start with our web browsing habits.”

The letter then further suggested Nokia employees to use Internet Explorer over other browsers such as Firefox, Opera, Apple’s Safari, and Google’s Chrome.
“I couldn’t bother to read the rest of the email,” said a visibly upset and livid Johnson, an Animation Designer working with Nokia, “Has Stephen gone nuts? What is he going to do next? Ask us to use MS Paint instead of Photoshop?”
According to company’s insiders, the letter has outraged an overwhelming majority of Nokia workers, who are now planning to protest against the unilateral and “absurd” decisions of their CEO. Market watchers too have expressed surprise and shock over the latest move and have predicted a further fall in the company’s share price post the formal announcement.
“We would unite and push for democracy within our company,” said Erica, a senior software developer, who had been playing Snake on her old Nokia 3310 during working hours as mark of protest, “Egypt has shown us the way.”
“Who uses IE these day?” wondered another employee, who showed how Internet Explorer crashed each time he tried to submit his Résumé to Google jobs.

Top Bottom