Nobody can solve this puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Open challenge being issued.. anyone who can solve this puzzle, is god!
Its a Chess problem.
White to move and mate in 2 i.e first white moves then black plays and then white should be able to checkmate on the next move.
I tried it for 1/2 hour before giving up and looking at the solution

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Er, bring the Elephant(Fortress) down and issue check, then put the Camel(Bishop) into place and issue checkmate. (..figured it in two min..)

*www.imgx.org/pfiles/5282/result.jpg​

Last edited:

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
But Black is not checkmated yet. It can move the rook to B5 to prevent the checkmate and check White's King.

Think.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
OK finished picture.

Things to note.
1. 3 for Mate is pretty easy :).
2. Moving the Queen opens up more Escape places for the King and lengthens the game.
3. Do not move the bishop unless you want to unpin the Rook which will become a thorn and lengthen the game.
4. You need to maintain Perpetual Check for this to end fast.
5. Theres only one Escape square for the King as of such you need to prepare for it and make sure you dont Stalemate it.

Solution below.
*img148.imageshack.us/img148/677/39377786vx0.jpg

1. As of such the King only has one Legal move. Hence maintaining that lets use the underutilized Rook. Rook to D8 (Rd8) . You just know that the King is going to move there hence remove himself from the pin on the rook and making it able to move. This must be stopped.

2. The King moves to d3 (Kd3) . Only legal move possible.

3. Knight to c5 (Nc5). Mate! Theres no where the King can go and the Rook cant cut the Knight since it is pinned down by the White rook. Please note that Ne5 will not mate.

Sorry for the bad picture . Im not good at drawing :( . Please ntoe that I'm no Chess God and I'm looking forward to play with all of you :) .

OP
chesss

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
wow 2 of u were able to solve !!
I promote you to the level of mini-god ;)

for advanced god level try the next one.. I am stuck on it, even concluded that it cannot be done :D . Haven't looked at the solution though
White to play and mate in 2

*img215.imageshack.us/img215/6356/chess2wj7.png

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Yes. Nice puzzle. The key theme to note here is the escape square d5.

Things to Note:
1. Knight is pinned
2. King can't move anywhere
3. If you move the Rook the horse is free and you lose the 2 Mate chance.
4. If you move the white Knight you allow for more escape routes.
5. If you move the pawn or King then you obviously lose a coin or add to the
escape routes.

By now Im sure you've all noticed that the Queen would be a great start point.

Below are the steps.

*img81.imageshack.us/img81/3682/chess2wj7ql4.jpg

1. White Queen to a8 ( Qa8 ) . very nice one. Usually everyone never looks far into the diagonals.

2. As you can see White is in a fix. He can only move two coins. Either the bishop or the Pawn.

3. If you move the Bishop then queen goes to a2 ( Qa2 ) checkmate, else if the pawn moves then the Queen goes to g8 ( Qg8 ) and again its mate.

PS : Yes and I know my GIMP skills suck :D . Oh by the way if you all are interested in Chess puzzles Id be happy to post a few from here and there :)

Last edited:
OP
chesss

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
@exx you toh total god ho re!
and you may be interested in freechess.org for online chess
I managed to figure out the solution as well but it took me like an hour :neutral:

huge collection of chess problems in pdf format and pgn and pdb format .

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Don't read problems. Learning that way really doesnt help alot. Look up old games. You can find tons of old games with reviews and commentaries. If you have Chessmaster or Fritz I believe there is a Game database. understand why they moved a piece a certain way etc. What they look for in any board position. etc.

OP
chesss

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Can you give a link? I can find lots of pgn of old games but none that come with commentary/comments

OP
chesss

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
*www.freechess.org/Ladder/games.html - not games by top players, but well commented

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Well if anyone is interested heres a puzzle.This is from the Nunn's Collection. An excellent collection of puzzles to play with. They say that most of them is advanced but some are kind of easy.

Quiz 1:

*img176.imageshack.us/img176/6839/euwe1ij0.jpg

White to play and Mate in two :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom