New PC 45K - i5/560Ti or AMD/560Ti

ramanvemman

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: General Purpose, Gaming, Learning, Development (Eclipse, VisualStudio)

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 45K -ish MAXXX

4. Planning to overclock?
A: not necessary. But if it wont break budget its ok

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: GNU/Linux, Windows 7 (64bit), Virtual Machines on VBox

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 0 (Have a Seagate 1 TB & WD Blue 320G)

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 20" Max

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 8

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Many (almost none in last 3-4yrs)

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: 1 month or so. (I have moved to a new place need to get a bike first)

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Good for 2-3yrs

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: CD/DVD, KBD, Mouse, Speakers, UPS

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Kochi/Thrissur, Kerala. and Yes. How good is ITDepot, Lynx etc. ITDepot prices are close to what is in my locality. has friends in Chennai

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: Support is extremely important for me. So is warranty
Core i5, GF GTX560Ti (ASUS, MSI, Palit which one),
Mobo (Not interested in SLI. So mATX would be fine) and PSU are the one's I'm finding difficult to fix on.
RAM - 4Gx1 (so that I can add another stick couple of months later)
For cabinets I liked these (Nzxt Beta Evo, NZXT Gaurdian 921 RB)
itdepot.com has combo offer(6.2K/-) on CM 431 & Seasonic 520W (S12II-520) is that good?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2400|9650
Motherboard |Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3|5250
RAM |G-skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT(4Gx1)|1350
Graphic Card |Sapphire HD6950 2GB DIRT 3 Edition|15300
PSU |Seasonic S12II 520|3500
Case |NZXT GAMMA|2000
Monitor |Benq G2220HD|6950
| Total |44100

OP
R

ramanvemman

Broken In
@Jaskanwar - from what I hear in linux forums and personal experience I'm doubtful about ATi drivers. As I use linux more (development mostly).

Where as I've been pretty happy with nvidia on linux.

Cilus

laborare est orare
@Jaskanwar - from what I hear in linux forums and personal experience I'm doubtful about ATi drivers. As I use linux more (development mostly).

The linux driver issues with AMD have been resolved in good extent. Currently if you're not running any high end productivity GPU bound tool or OpenGL based high end designing in Linux, the chances of facing any problem is pretty low with the latest AMD drivers.
But still, Nvidia is much mature over here, GTX 560 Ti Hawk @ 14K will be a good choice.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
How about a Zotac GTX 560 Ti Amp Edition @15.2K. As per review I read it can perform better than a Stock 6950 by a decent margin.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

I run Ubuntu 11.04 with a MSI R6850 with catalyst drivers ( will give correct version # later) . thought I haven't played any games or GPU intensive apps in Linux; I will be happy to run any benchmarks you may require to verify the performance of the ATI drivers on Linux on my system. my system specs on my signature.

OP
R

ramanvemman

Broken In
its not that I run intensive apps I have found it hard to get ATi drivers run correctly lots of tweaking and stuff. I used to play Unreal, Doom 3 etc. long back (05/06??). I did for the thrill of getting it working. But nowadays I'm not that much into gaming or don't get much time to spend fixing things.

But I really would like it to run simple 3D games, HD movies out of the box and commandline (shell - Ctrl-Alt-F1), also I like to see boot msgs keeps kids out of place when they see lots of msgs coming up.. :twisted:

I didn't omit Compiz n eyecandy stuff and hopes Openoffice & Eclipse works fine - if u have a desktop last two should run fine.

@Charan my questions are like what kind of apps do you run. And have you had any difficulties with configuration on Radeon

PS: I do select instant notification when posting on my threads but I don't seem to get emails. Is it me or is there something wrong?

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD linux driver problems have been resolved largely and there are no issues with day to day use as well as running high end GPU bound software in linux. Read the article [Phoronix] Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 On Linux Review provided by Jaskanwar which will clear your doubt.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ramanvemman

Get the 560-ti hawk. No need to take risk. Besides 560-ti is also a capable gpu and a good alternative to radeon 6950.

But amd will work fine since you'll be using eclipse and visualstudio only.

OP
R

ramanvemman

Broken In
MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti HAWK
I hope thats the one you all are suggesting in that case its 200W gpu rt?

So will I need to update the PSU? Rest of config will be the same as already suggested

OP
R

ramanvemman

Broken In
Thanks guys...

So 560Ti it is. Rest of the config as suggested.. Must be going for MSI mostly have given the reqs. for a friend with a shop.

Whether MSI/ASUS/Zotac will be decided who has service reachability from my area.

As for Corsair GS600 suggestion is it good as Seasonic S12II 520?
because the seasonic unit has quite good reviews and is also 80+ Bronze.
I couldn't find whether GS600 is 80+ certified

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Seasonic S12II 520 is also good psu for running 560ti. But it will restrict you from any expansion in future.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Why everyone in this forum pushing every user to buy so called HD6950!!!!When OP is clearly stating that he needs gtx560ti, then why to suggest HD6950.I think gtx560ti is as good gpu as hd6950.So nothing harm in consulting gtx560ti over hd6950.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Performance wise, 6950 beats 560ti and when both of them are of same price range, then 6950 is the obvious choice. So, why not?

Tenida

Gadget Freak
^^ Performance wise, 6950 beats 560ti and when both of them are of same price range, then 6950 is the obvious choice. So, why not?
First of all read some reviews before commenting anything.

Performance wise both HD6950 and GTX560Ti are on same league.In some game HD6950 is faster and vice-verse.But the difference is only 2-6FPS.So nothing harm in it to suggest GTX560ti along with HD6950.;)
1)msi geforce gtx 560 ti hawk review
2)msi geforce gtx 560 ti hawk review

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Oh sorry, but I seriously speaking, I must have seen somewhere that 6950 performs better than 560ti. But in hardocp's review, they lies almost at the same league. And thanks for the quick reminder & link(s).

vaibhav23

In the zone
^^6950 performs better than 560Ti when 560Ti is on stock.But since Hawk is an overclocked card and it performs equal to 6950(stock)

Top Bottom