New mild gaming Rig dilemma

ljlijash

Broken In
Hello friends,

I am a newbie here and really want your help guyz.Please help me sort out my dilemma...

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Play HD movies, photos, games (mild gamer - NFS,FIFA,COD,POP etc etc )

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: upto 40 K (already have a 17 inch LCD monitor)

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Don't think so (as I don't know to how to overclock and neither do I know the benefits)

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win7/ XP

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: >500 GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A: Already have a LCD monitor. Resolution : 1360x 768

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: I would say around 5 (can assemble don't think can trouble shoot well)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: By an assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Month

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Ideally yes, atleast for another 5 years, although I know the GPU will get outdated in 2 years

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Monitor

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Trivandrum(not open to buy online)

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: As of now the room in which the desktop will be kept would be non-ac

My real confusion lies in choosing an AMD or Intel procy....

Eagerly awaiting your reply

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8 GHz @ 6.5k
Mobo: Biostar TA785G A3 @ 3.7k
Ram: Kingston 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 @ 5k
HDD: WD 1TB Green @ 3.2k
PSU: Corsair VX550W @ 4.5k
Keyboard & Mouse: At your Choice @ 1k
Optical Drive: LG SATA 22X @ 1.1k
Gfx Card: Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 @ 16.5k

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz @ 5k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @ 4.5k
2 * 2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 5.1k
Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 768MB @ 12.5k
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB * 2 @ 4k
LG H55N DVD @ 1k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k
Logitech MX518 @ 1.3k
Logitech Multimedia Keyboard @ 0.4k

Total - 40.5k

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Athlon II X4 635 2.9GHz @ 5k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @ 4.5k
2 * 2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 5.1k
Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 768MB @ 12.5k
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB * 2 @ 4k
LG H55N DVD @ 1k
Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k
Logitech MX518 @ 1.3k
Logitech Multimedia Keyboard @ 0.4k

Total - 40.5k

jas, heres a few suggestions for u:

1. i not sure that Giggy 880G can be found for 4.5k. you may have got it by SMC working stuffs mistake.

2. GTX460 768Mb not good. 1Gb best buy. also pricing is high. rarely it can be found for below 13k.

3. Corsair VX450W will be right choice. no need spend extra 1k. also better get a Logitech Keyboard + Mouse box. will save 1k more.

rest everything good.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
i had a similar query some time ago (including 17" monitor):razz:
although i've now delayed it to next year here's the config -
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2 GHz @ 8k
Mobo: Biostar 785G3 HD @ 4k
RAM: Kingston 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 @ 5k
HDD: WD 1TB Green @ 3.4k
PSU: Corsair VX550W @ 4.6k
Mouse: Logitech MX518 @ 1.3k
Keyboard: Any @ 0.5k
Graphics Card: MSI HD5770 HAWK 1GB GDDR5 @ 9.7k
Cabinet: NZXT Gamma + a fan @ 2.5k
Total: 40k

HD 5770 is great for mild gaming and it should easily suffice even if you upgrade your monitor (at least as i was told by members here)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ such heavy mainstream pc + WD Green. these won't mix well. Green is energy saver. so in non gaming situations its a good choice. but when coupled with fast parts, it'll slow down the whole system.

OP
L

ljlijash

Broken In
Thanks guys for the wonderful replies....
But I have noticed all of you seems to stick towards AMD when it comes to procy... WHY NO INTEL ? Is there any particular reason ?

OP
L

ljlijash

Broken In
is it just VFM ?? Cant we get an i5 rig for about the same price ? if we were t get that, which means if there is an AMD rig(like the ones above) and an i5 rig for the same price, which wud you guys take ?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
AMD. What is the minimum priced board you can get for an i5?
For AMD, you have a range of options and in that, you can get a decent-spec proccy+ feature rich mobo at lower price than a decent i5+cheapest mobo for i5. Now you got my point.eh??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ in age of multicores (4cores or more) sticking to dual cores (i3 & a couple of i5) will come as a odd decision. yes in games i3 are better than AMD's proccy. almost all AMD proccies are a bit slower (than i3s) but will you change proccy (& mobo) every time Intel releases a new processor-mobo platform? if no better stick to a quad core. & with i5 750 costing 10k, i think its out of your budget, at least with a good mainstream performance graphics card. so simple advice, get i5 750-760 if you can without interfering with the rest of the setup. else sacrifice 10-15% performance, get AMD & have the rig in balance. in years to come, you'll be glad you took the right step.

OP
L

ljlijash

Broken In
^^ in age of multicores (4cores or more) sticking to dual cores (i3 & a couple of i5) will come as a odd decision. yes in games i3 are better than AMD's proccy. almost all AMD proccies are a bit slower (than i3s) but will you change proccy (& mobo) every time Intel releases a new processor-mobo platform? if no better stick to a quad core. & with i5 750 costing 10k, i think its out of your budget, at least with a good mainstream performance graphics card. so simple advice, get i5 750-760 if you can without interfering with the rest of the setup. else sacrifice 10-15% performance, get AMD & have the rig in balance. in years to come, you'll be glad you took the right step.

Bro, you got your point banged right in my head !!!:p:p...
SO AMD it is then !!! BTW, I have an AMD Athlon 64 bit processor right now, but the ASUS K series borad is juz crap. Gave me headaches very often and mayb thats why I had this thing against AMD...

Will chek out the price of the rigs you suggested and kepp you guyz updated...

One more doubt (ignore if foolish :grin:) : borads supporting AMD have AM3 scket rt? is it true that the AMD X6 is also based on this socket series?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Yes, it is. AMD X6 also uses the AM3 Socket type. SO getting a AM3 socket mobo will be good, coz it will not get obsolete in near future.:grin:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@rajkumar_pb, seen your original post only after posting mine. you already posted the right info. mine was just like giving an explanation.

Bro, you got your point banged right in my head !!!:p:p...

nice to know :smile:

SO AMD it is then !!! BTW, I have an AMD Athlon 64 bit processor right now, but the ASUS K series borad is juz crap. Gave me headaches very often and mayb thats why I had this thing against AMD...

yes they were. also the old Athlon (not the new ones) were total craps. AMD tried many innovative features but end up paying the price as it sprung up lots of strange issues. they got the lesson & the innovation right, now. thats one reason they now able to bring forward X6 for 4-digit figures.

One more doubt (ignore if foolish :grin:) : borads supporting AMD have AM3 scket rt? is it true that the AMD X6 is also based on this socket series?

X6 fits into same board. add to it X6 will fit into newer board, based on MA3r2 socket (not sure) but the 2011 proccies, manufactured on 32nm nodes will fit into current AM3 boards. maybe couple of features disabled (won't go into details).

OP
L

ljlijash

Broken In
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8 GHz @ 6.5k
Mobo: Biostar TA785G A3 @ 3.7k
Ram: Kingston 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 @ 5k
HDD: WD 1TB Green @ 3.2k
PSU: Corsair VX550W @ 4.5k
Keyboard & Mouse: At your Choice @ 1k
Gfx Card: Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 @ 16.5k

I thnk I like this spec... I am getting a great GPU with this one right ?? Only concern is the Green HDD.... have seen in many forums that its pretty slow ... But hey, I am not sure... Also guyz which mobo is better - the MSI one above or the Gigy one ?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^
Get the Gigabyte mobo prefered by Jaskanwar Singh.

For HDD, Try WD Cavier Blue but the pricing is at higher side compared to Green, atleast a small hike is considered as price diff. :D

The GPU is more than enuff for your needs. (HD5850 for mild gaming :D :D)

@Sam.Shab

:)

We both told the same with different words.

Top Bottom