needa help for compressing

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys

recently i came across many winrar file which are of very less size n on extraction it give a vry big file....its not from kgb archive just simple winrar....can anyone tell me the method so that even i can do it???
these file are generally of iso type

i wana compress my movie collection like this

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Movies are already compressed. That ISO may not be. Compression depends on the type of content, and this wont work on movies, sorry to burst your bubble :)

parthbarot

In the zone
hmm...winrar or 7zip can be used for best compression,but its only upto specific contents like text,docs,htmls etc... which can be compressed in a very less size then you expect.

But movies,MP3s and other media files are compiled and already compressed in specific format.so no need to compress them using winrar or KGB etc. because that content can't be compressed more.I think...even winrar can't understand that kind a format :D

today mostly AVI (Divx/Xvid/Mp4/X264),Mp3 etc files are used for media,which are heavily compressed by the codecs used for generation.

i hope this helps you.

regards.

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Yep, compressing audio or video files using any format doesn't reduce the file size significantly. I've personally tested this.

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
thanks 2 all for valuable reply

than any other way to save my disk space by movies

n vat about the other software which are in exe format n packed in special way like 1st via winrar then in folder then again compressed via rar/zip n all n the resultant file comes out very smoll n when extracted it becomes very large....(some time they are of bin/cue format)

parthbarot

In the zone
Easiest way to reduce size for media is...reducing the quality..but i dnt think u would like it..so..better burn media on DVDs :).

and no other compression (Other than codecs i mean.. ) helps you.

regards.

OP
A

ashishstillthere

Journeyman
no dheeraj i have one rar file whch has iso of 6 window xp n its of just 9.smthing mb in size and on extraction it give more than 3 gb of file n on burning it give 4gb+ size now u tell me how its possible

its not of kgb

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
^^ I cant answer that, I've downloaded a Vista Floppy Disk edition, 1.4 MB, and it expands to a dvd.

How can this sort of compression be done??? My friend told me about having a copy of GTA SA which was under 5 MB and I lolled at him. Now that you've said it, I've no choice but to believe it. How is it possible??

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Yeah thanks Dheeraj for that. Downloaded it now. For those who want it- *sourceforge.net/project/downloadin..._arch_win_gui_v1.2.1.24.exe&use_mirror=switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom