Need to know the power consumption to save power when not required.

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi guys we all know in few months time Electric bill will be increased near to 100 percentage. So we are in position to save power When needed. So i need you guys to help me and all in the forum to save power when required. So please let me know what would be actual consumption of the power and in related to unit .

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ One unit of electricity ( also known as Kilowatt hour ) is equal to 1000 Watts of power used for 1 hour.

say your rig consumes 500w including all components - now if you run this for 2 hrs your rig will consume 1 unit ;-)

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
I had 800w psu and will be adding soon another hd 5770 . So let me know what would be the consumption.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
your power consumption with i5-2500+ + HD 5770??

~250w at full load.

If you'll run your machine 24 hours the whole month....you'll consume 0.25 * 24 * 30 = 180 units.

Multiply units by the electricity rate.

^^ first calculate the power consumed by your rig by using any online tool. ;)
hmm, your location says that you are in Sydney but your IP address disagrees?? :confused:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - with 2x HD5770 our power consumption would be like this ( just to give you an idea ) ;-)

HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB Video Card in CrossFire - Power Consumption Tests :: TweakTown USA Edition

Radeon HD 5770 review

your CPU needs less power than those used on the benches so your entire rig will draw around ~325-350W while gaming ;-)

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Top i am running it in CF. I believe my HOME UPS started beeping. So its capacity is 660 watts. Microtek 1kva. I was running tv at that time. When running the pc with CF its was fine. But it usally starts beeping only when run high wattage components like hair dryer and vacum cleaner.

I believe atleast 600+ its consuming.

System Type: 1 physical CPU
Motherboard: High End - Desktop
CPU Socket: Socket LGA 1155
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3300 MHz Sandy Bridge
Overclocked: 4400 MHz, 1.35 V
CPU Utilization (TDP): 100% TDP
RAM: 2 Sticks DDR3 SDRAM - FB DIMM(s)
Video Card 1: AMD Radeon HD 5770
Video Card 2: AMD Radeon HD 5770
Video Type: Crossfire
PPU: AGEIA PhysX PPU

ATTENTION: FOR PERSONAL, NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY
High rpm SATA: 1 HDD
Green SATA: 1 HDD
Flash SSD: 1 Drive
DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive
Blu Ray BD-RE/DVD/CD: 1 Drive
PCI-e x1 Card: 1 Card
PCI-e x4 Card: 1 Card
USB: 14 Devices
Fan Controller: Yes
Front Bay LCD Display: Yes
Fans
LED: 6 Fans 120mm; 1 Fan 140mm;
High Performance: 1 Fan 120mm;
Keyboard and mouse: Yes
System Load: 100 %
Capacitor Aging (+ W %): 15 %

Minimum PSU Wattage: 694 Watts
Recommended Wattage: 744 Watts

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
You run a hair dryer and vacum cleaner uisng the UPS - I don't think it's good idea ;-)

do you really have :

PCI-e x1 Card: 1 Card
PCI-e x4 Card: 1 Card
USB: 14 Devices
PPU: AGEIA PhysX PPU

I think you have used the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator which is not always accurate - your overall PC power consumption at max load should not be more than 400w-450w and your PSu will draw around 500-550W from wall socket deliver it excluding the monitor which adds another 25-50w.

OP
M

macho84

Ambassador of Buzz
Top is that psu had anything to do with gpu heating. where one is working fine as normal but other is too hot say not even 15 min of gaming reached 95-100. really abnormal.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ are you talking about the PPU or PSu - if PPU what gfx card you are using as a PPU ??

IF if it's PSu then it has nothing to do with gfx card overheating - Corsair GS800 is a good PSu can easily handle the rig you have.

Ensure that the gfx card has proper ventilation and it's dust free - if it's the Old card the TiM might have dried up or fan is spinning at slow speed - check those.

BTW, the thread title is no longer matching the discussion - it would be better if you create a new thread for gpu over heating - you will get better suggestions ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ PSU does effect electricity consumption - Say a PSu has 80% efficiency and another has 90% - now a pc ( excluding monitor ) consumes 300W while gaming - now the PSu with 80% efficiency will draw 360W from the wall socket and the PSu with 90% efficiency will draw 330W from the wall socket so there's some real difference which PSU can make in overall power consumption ;-)

Top Bottom