Need Suggestions- how to copy data from 500 DVD's

sujoyp

Grand Master
Hi Guys,

As all of u guys I was a very enthusiastic downloader till 2-3 years back and used to download each and every movie came up...those days I used to write them in DVD's to keep them safe.

Now days I move away for projects and want to keep the movies/documentaries with me . I dont have enough time at home to copy each DVD one by one...what to do???

Any suggestions welcome :D

I have the space required to copy the data in HDD ...I have 320+320+1 TB+1 TB of space..may buy more space if required .

I had a plan in mind ..thats to get a 2TB external HDD..desktop one... and outsource a internet cafe to do this work..maybe he will do it easily for some money :D

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
500 is too much! :shock:
Hire your cousin/younger brother or sister to do this job. But if you have "objectionable" content on them better to hire the cafe guy. If will make sure to fill up your hdd and also fill up his own hdd with the "contents".

I also use to make DVD's before I bought 1 TB hdd for my PC (plus 500 GB for my secondary PC). But the number didn't exceed 138. Those are kept labelled and indexed in a cataloging tool.

Memories...

Borrow optical drives from all your friends and maybe one or two desktops too. Then fill up all SATA ports with optical drives and copy about a dozen DVD at a time.

Assuming all DVDs to be single layer and average transfer speed of 10 MB/s, it will take 66.85 hours to copy all disks (when coping one disk at a time).

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
@vyom most of them dont have anything objectionable ...just movies and doumentories ...even my all DVD are labeled and I have maintained the data on a excel sheet :) ...but I cant travel with those...and when i need a movie I have to redownload it again.

@harshil yes all are single layer ...your idea is good ...but I have to spend my precious free time after office for this faltu activity ...not worth ;)

tkin

Back to school!!
Hi Guys,

As all of u guys I was a very enthusiastic downloader till 2-3 years back and used to download each and every movie came up...those days I used to write them in DVD's to keep them safe.

Now days I move away for projects and want to keep the movies/documentaries with me . I dont have enough time at home to copy each DVD one by one...what to do???

Any suggestions welcome :D

I have the space required to copy the data in HDD ...I have 320+320+1 TB+1 TB of space..may buy more space if required .

I had a plan in mind ..thats to get a 2TB external HDD..desktop one... and outsource a internet cafe to do this work..maybe he will do it easily for some money :D
Outsource it to a cousin or someone, 2-5/- per DVD will get the job done.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@harshil yes all are single layer ...your idea is good ...but I have to spend my precious free time after office for this faltu activity ...not worth ;)

Yes. Sure.
Transferring all your digital content that you so desirably downloaded and then bought 500 DVD's and painstakingly burned them onto those media one at a time so that you can access those anytime in the future and also share them with anybody and don't need to download again on the pathetic internet connection that is available at our place.. is... is.. faltu activity.

Sure indeed. -__-

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
vyom at that time I was looking for job or you can say I had lots n lots of free time...24hrs ...now I have just 7-12 in evening...and that time had to be divided in to family, pet, hobbie, TV, facebook food and what not :)

Yes I spent a lot of time energy money on those DVD but I can not carry them thats the problem..

@tkin ....thats what I was thinking..looking for someone to do this copying thing for me :D

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
I would do it for u if i were there, not to mention i would keep some of the contents with your permission :D

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
keeping content is not a problem at all sam .....but you have given me another good idea I guess :D

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
keeping content is not a problem at all sam .....but you have given me another good idea I guess :D

i will give you an idea which you wont probably like, i would say, copy only those disks which you feel will wither very soon and the data would prove unrecoverable, for the rest, keep them in a dry cool place with the utmost care you can provide to.

Make them last and back them up 10-20 dvds a day as you see fit for your time. This is not an immediate solution. But if i were you, i would never hand my possessions to any cyber cafe or so to get the job done, I had 124 dvds and cds myself before i came here, collected through 1999-2008 with highly valued content to me.

I carefully copied every single one of them with patience, i had a very good quality drive and I handle these media with care, bit sensitive, in any case i would better leave them in piece rather give it to some clumsy cafe boy. Any data whatsoever collected by me, if lost will be lost by my hand and none other.

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
hmm sam but the issue will remain same...its not the problem of DVD being damaged ...its problem of convenience in using it...I came back home from a 1.5 yrs project in december ...I had to redownload soo many of my movies which I had copied in my DVD ...whats the use of those DVD sitting at my home in a dark bag..BTW I keep all DVD in those 80DVD bags ...not in DVD boxes.

it seems I have do some part myself

@vyom most of them dont have anything objectionable ...just movies and doumentories ...even my all DVD are labeled and I have maintained the data on a excel sheet :) ...but I cant travel with those...and when i need a movie I have to redownload it again.

You don't need to sit and stare at the copy progress dialog. Continue with you work/game while data is being copied.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
hmm sam but the issue will remain same...its not the problem of DVD being damaged ...its problem of convenience in using it...I came back home from a 1.5 yrs project in december ...I had to redownload soo many of my movies which I had copied in my DVD ...whats the use of those DVD sitting at my home in a dark bag..BTW I keep all DVD in those 80DVD bags ...not in DVD boxes.

it seems I have do some part myself

distribute the task among family members.

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
nandu I wish I could do that...but sadly I have spent soo much time money and energy in that...I wont do that

ithehappy

Human Spambot
A blu-ray writer maybe? And br disks?
I'm in the same situation with OP, but the problem is I can't fix my mind where to store it. I mean till 2010 I used to write all the movies in dvds, but since then I barely wrote anything, as I had 1.5 TB space on my desktop, and now I have a 2 TB external hard disk. If I keep copying things to the hard disks then it won't be long before I buy another 2 TB. Hmm, I'm confused. Are dvds safe? I mean can they store data for long periods, say for like 25-30 years?

Top Bottom