Need help to check which option would be better for power consumption

ajayritik

Technomancer
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]I have a laptop and a desktop. I wanted to know which is the better option when I'm downloading something off the net in terms of power save.
1. Keeping laptop on
2. Switching of the monitor of desktop and leaving the CPU on.

Which among the above would be better in terms of power saving.
I assume for laptop I will have around 2hrs of backup time after which it may shut down. so Maybe I have to keep it charging

Kindly give your suggestions.

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The difference depends on the configuration of each. The power used by a powerful high-end laptop may not be much less than that of a low-power desktop without the monitor. But in general terms, a laptop will use less power.

For non-demanding use like downloading, a laptop will generally use much less than 100W whereas a desktop may use something like 150W. These are only rough guides as the actual consumption depends on the configuration.

If you use a laptop to download for extended periods, it's best to use AC power through the adaptor/charger. This way, it will not drain the battery and also keep the battery fully charged. Automatic charging controls in the laptop will prevent overcharging.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
yeah, keep the laptop on AC power. It will consume much less than a desktop. But it would be nice if you could give the configuration of both the machines for a better opinion.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
If you use a laptop to download for extended periods, it's best to use AC power through the adaptor/charger. This way, it will not drain the battery and also keep the battery fully charged. Automatic charging controls in the laptop will prevent overcharging.
Here is a catch I observed that the power adapter is getting heated up when I leave it on for charging for a long time. Hence I'm little apprehensive of leaving the Laptop on with it connected to A/C source for anything more than 2-3 hours.

In case I'm downloading something which will take an average time of 4-6hrs which option would be better.

With regards to configuration what all details do you need me to post in here which can help us better.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Here is a catch I observed that the power adapter is getting heated up when I leave it on for charging for a long time. Hence I'm little apprehensive of leaving the Laptop on with it connected to A/C source for anything more than 2-3 hours.
Anything that uses power gets hot because there's always some loss and the loss is converted into heat. But heating is not necessarily the same as overheating.

Laptops and desktops and their power supplies are designed for continuous use without overheating, but anything in heavy use can break down after some time. There's no black-and-white answer and we have to balance our needs with the risks.

You could gain some additional safety margin by blowing on the laptop and its adaptor with a small table fan. Or, (and this is something I've thought of just now) you could place the laptop AC adaptor on top of an up-ended flat-bottomed aluminium pot! :) The aluminium will conduct part of the heat away and dissipate it more easily than the adaptor alone.

In case I'm downloading something which will take an average time of 4-6hrs which option would be better.
This is like comparing apples and oranges, as the saying goes. A desktop may be more suitable for continuous use, but your primary concern is power saving, in which case the laptop wins.

With regards to configuration what all details do you need me to post in here which can help us better.
All the usual things, really. Processor, RAM, HDD, graphics, etc. This will help evaluate the power consumption.

One possibility that may be considered by those addicted to downloading large files all the time is to have a dedicated downloading machine. Downloading files is a non-demanding task. A d/l machine could be built up of old discarded but working parts. A low power CPU like an old Celeron or Sempron, 128MB RAM, etc could be used. The low power used by such a configuration could be reduced further by underclocking.

For example, I still have a 500 MHz Pentium III CPU and a working motherboard with 128MB SDRAM. If I were a heavy downloader, I could use that purely as a downloading machine and it would be just as good as a modern machine for that purpose.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Anything that uses power gets hot because there's always some loss and the loss is converted into heat. But heating is not necessarily the same as overheating.

Laptops and desktops and their power supplies are designed for continuous use without overheating, but anything in heavy use can break down after some time. There's no black-and-white answer and we have to balance our needs with the risks.

You could gain some additional safety margin by blowing on the laptop and its adaptor with a small table fan. Or, (and this is something I've thought of just now) you could place the laptop AC adaptor on top of an up-ended flat-bottomed aluminium pot! :) The aluminium will conduct part of the heat away and dissipate it more easily than the adaptor alone.

This is like comparing apples and oranges, as the saying goes. A desktop may be more suitable for continuous use, but your primary concern is power saving, in which case the laptop wins.

All the usual things, really. Processor, RAM, HDD, graphics, etc. This will help evaluate the power consumption.

One possibility that may be considered by those addicted to downloading large files all the time is to have a dedicated downloading machine. Downloading files is a non-demanding task. A d/l machine could be built up of old discarded but working parts. A low power CPU like an old Celeron or Sempron, 128MB RAM, etc could be used. The low power used by such a configuration could be reduced further by underclocking.

For example, I still have a 500 MHz Pentium III CPU and a working motherboard with 128MB SDRAM. If I were a heavy downloader, I could use that purely as a downloading machine and it would be just as good as a modern machine for that purpose.
Thanks for your insights on this one.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
get yourself a desktop with a good efficient PSU. this will surely loose the power consumption test to any laptop in market but you can run it 24X7 & will still be smiling. run a laptop like this, & prepare for RMA :smile:

also a Sepmron/Dual Core + a cheap motherboard + 1Gb ram + 250-500Gb HDD & other parts will cost much less than a laptop or a netbook & in the long run, will be better choice. also add up money wasted in electricity to it, price of a desktop will still be lower.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
totally agree with Pimpom (on the Dedicated PC for d/loading stuff) and also with Sam.. :)

i myself was using my p4 350Mhz PC jus for dedicated d/loading stuff, but tat gave way and then i purchased an Atom based PC with no GPU (ofcourse, atom based mobo do not hv a gpu slot) and now using it 24x7 (nfact, saying i use it 15days at a stretch b4 turning it OFF for a mere 8 hrs for the PC to rest) wud be more appropriate.. :)
------------

to the OP: many ppl use even NETBOOKS for d./loading stuff, but yes if u jus wanna choose b/w PC and a lappy, then for power saving needs, Lappy wins.. (cant say abt the durability of the lappy) though.. :)
-----------

Cheers n e-peace.....

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Too be really honest I use very less of laptop. I prefer the desktop, really tough using the laptop without mouse still getting use to it.

I would say I want to look something which can both save power as well as won't effect the PC much.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Appreciate it!

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

hmmm... i agree to that, as i had a lil' tough time (wen i myself got a lappy at first) so it was a handicap state for me as i was used to the Mouse on my PC... :)

hmmm... so u hv the PC as well as the Lappy and then u deciding wich one to use for d/loading stuff..??? or u still in rough plans to buy either one of them..???

if thats the case, then u can buy an Atom based PC or even a lower config PC as ur budget permits..:)

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
he said he does not download much,
He mentioned that only later in the thread.

so why we talking about download rigs?
His initial question was about saving power while downloading for extended periods. I and others pointed out that a laptop uses less power, but he's also concerned about stressing the laptop. Hence the sub-topic of a dedicated download rig.

The OP mentioned a download time of "an average of 4-6 hrs". If this were a one-time download, it would hardly matter whether he uses a laptop or a high-power desktop. The difference in his power bill would be just a couple of rupees at most. So the suggestions were made with regular downloading in mind.

In any case, forum discussions are not just for the benefit of the OP only. They are intended to be a useful reference for all readers. If you'll reread my earlier post, you'll see that my suggestion of download rigs was addressed to all heavy downloaders.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

hey pimpom, can an ATOM based NETBOOK (say, an Acer make or Asus EEEPc) be used for 24x7 d/loads..??? or say, if its getting hot for the NETBOOk, i can get a cooling pad...to hv its backside vents cooled :)

coz its really space saving (for me) as currently i hv a Atom based Desktop setup and i really wanna clear out the clutter (coz my 2nd is a core i7 rig, as in my siggy)...so plz ur inputs needed.. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
netbooks usually don't get that warm. you can give netbook around 4-5hrs rest daily. this way temp will be under check. say 5hrs download & 1hr rest. also if netbook got option to turn the screen off, all the heat generated will be by the HDD & proccy-mobo combo. this should never reach high alarming rates if you unplug the netbook & turn it off for 1hr every now & then (the charger/adapter too will be cooled down in meantime). or let the netbook charge in meantime, if you use battery power during download.

Therapist

Broken In
I retrofitted a steel mesh tray under my desk that houses my netbook, which doesn't get hot at all because it's well ventilated on all sides. I turned off the wireless adapter and hooked it physically to the router to save power and heat dissipated by the wireless device. Tinkered with power management, so closing the lid causes it to kill the display instead of going to sleep mode. Hooked it up to my desktop monitor through the spare D-sub port, so switching between the Desktop and Netbook is a one touch affair. I also hooked up the keyboard and mouse to a USB hub, so I can route them to the netbook and desktop with a simple swap. Finally, I installed a Broadcom Crystal HD decoder card (Rs 1100 shipped ebay, Hong Kong), which runs high bit-rate 1080p mt2s video files smooth with just 10% CPU utilisation. This way, I use my netbook for downloading, surfing and also to watch full-HD movies (entertainment), thereby leaving the PC free for the sole purpose of gaming.

*i.imgur.com/9z3mn.jpg

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
netbooks usually don't get that warm. you can give netbook around 4-5hrs rest daily. this way temp will be under check. say 5hrs download & 1hr rest. also if netbook got option to turn the screen off, all the heat generated will be by the HDD & proccy-mobo combo. this should never reach high alarming rates if you unplug the netbook & turn it off for 1hr every now & then (the charger/adapter too will be cooled down in meantime). or let the netbook charge in meantime, if you use battery power during download.
ok, thanx a lot SAm for this good explaination.. now plz kindly tell me wich is the cheaper netbook for the same purpose (downloading).. :)

say in the range of 12-15K wich has wifi+bluetooth... and a good build too, NOT like those plasticky feel to it.. :(

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
welcome buddy. well if build quality matters, Asus or Samsung. i can't say anything about MSI. i have not read any fresh reviews about it. Acer's build isn't hidden from anyone. their build quality isn't at all good. Toshiba & others are hard to come by.

Samung will cost appx 15k. but i feel it got no bluetooth. maybe wifi present. Asus first series of SeaShell netbooks should cost below 15k. but again lacks many features. all i can say, search all online shops.

Top Bottom