need help to build up a gaming rig @ 70k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Core i7 config prices are ridiculous right now. Prices will halve in the coming months. Not the best time for i7 according to me.

How abt 955BE on AM3 motherboard? 955BE can do 7ghz+ with a tank of helium.

955BE will retail @ around 15k in India.

Yes it will take some time for Core i7 to fully evolve. Modern games are more and more GPU dependent instead of CPU and still no game is capable of utilizing all the four cores.

E8400 is still the king. You can easily overclock it to 4Ghz and even more with a good motherboard like P5Q pro and a good heat sink like TRUE (Thermal Right Ultra Extreme).

If you are particular about gaming, invest your money on good GPU like DH4890 or GTX275 and a 24 inch display like DELL 2408 and your gaming requirements will be fulfilled.

Some time back I read a review in which Core i7 and E8400 produced the same Frame rates at resolution of 1920 X 1200

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^FYI, Many games that are going to be released in next one year will be utilizing 4 cores and then E8400 will lose heavily to core i7 and other quad cores. With a core i7 rig at hand, you will be sitting pretty with no upgrade requirement as you already have a premium rig at hand. now, that's called future proof.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^FYI, Many games that are going to be released in next one year will be utilizing 4 cores and then E8400 will lose heavily to core i7 and other quad cores. With a core i7 rig at hand, you will be sitting pretty with no upgrade requirement as you already have a premium rig at hand. now, that's called future proof.
:)) What is future proof? Future is inevitable- therefore being obsolete is inevitable! There will be something better in half the price and better in performance and efficiency.
It seem to be a common lingo for many people these days.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^I am not in a mood to fight over this.

If I have 80k at hand, I wouldn't think twice and would invest in a core i7 rig and won't worry about upgrading entire system every year.

fine, if you think that getting E8400 is lot better now, well, stick to it. BTW, Let's see how long that E7200 of yours will drive gaming at full throttle.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^I am not in a mood to fight over this.
:-D
I think till now we seem to be having a civilized discussion. I didnt say you were wrong now did I? And I doubt that I did say something to offend you. If you found it offensive, I recommend you to read the replies properly- or your intention is to break this good discussion which makes sense just like how you seem to do on the other forum.
My e7200 runs well on stock as well. 70k just for gaming is too much irrespective of the fact has the money to burn or not. Investment has to be done wisely.

amitash

Intel OCer
^The thing is, core i7 is the perfect investment right now... It can game better than all dual cores, and once more quad supported games come out (expected before 1 year), it will PWN in those too, AND since it has 8 threads, even in like 2 yrs when games that support more than 4 threads come out, it still wont be obsolete...rather it will be like the current dual cores which will become obsolete in a matter of months....On top of that, as ive mentioned, future intel procys support the same mobo, so no need of mobo or RAM upgrade If you want to upograde the PC.

So lets review:
1.80k for a core i7 config now
2.After 2 yrs, if there is a need to upgrade, then another 25-30k only required considering a westmere procy will be available for i7-920 price today.

So for 5yrs of gaming at full throttle, you will be spending nearly 1-1.1L

For your choice:
1.spend 50k on core2duo e8400 + gtx275 based comp, which will struggle due to cpu-bottlenecks in like a year.
2.Spend 50k more for a desktop
3.spend 50k more the year after that....

BTW, Let's see how long that E7200 of yours will drive gaming at full throttle.
I think the E7200 is already gasping for breath...Lets see it handle GTA4 or crysis at the highest settings.
now is a dead wrong time to get a dual core....

Oh and as for your previous posts that said core i7 is useless for gaming, i ask you to look again...With the same 4870 of yours, if i were to use it on a core i7 machine, the perf would increase by 10fps+ in most recent games.....After 6 more months, that will increase to 20fps...Actually, due to 8 threads in core i7, perf on the same gfx card would increase as games with more thread support come out, whereas they would woefully decrease with dua cores

Last edited:

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
@The Sorcerer
dats wat u think. for many people investing 70+ for gaming alone is not a gr8 deal. As I said earlier, everyone hav their own taste for gaming. Some like consoles, some like PCs, and some may think investing lot for gaming is not needed and so on...if everyone in the world was thinking the same, then we might hav seen Farrai maruti 800 :D y the waste of money for some jonny ride :p

btw desibond hav got a point. spending 70K or 80K and not getting core i7 is not a gud idea. core i7 is future proof for sure. u don't hav to think about upgrading in any near future. Intel hav already announced their last C2D Eseries as E8700. I'm sure after one year we will be frantically searching for old stock C2D mobos and stuffs for upgrade, b'coz by then core i5 or socket 1156 processors will be leading the market, like C2Ds leading the market now.

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
well if you buy a ferarri and drive it mumbai its going to be no faster than a bullock cart. But let's not compare pcs with cars now shall we :D. We all made valid points, but I found it strange why desiibond have to comment about my overclocks since without being provoked.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
well if you buy a ferarri and drive it mumbai its going to be no faster than a bullock cart. But let's not compare pcs with cars now shall we :D. We all made valid points, but I found it strange why desiibond have to comment about my overclocks since without being provoked.

how about driving a maruti 800 on American express highway?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
was too busy with work today and couldn't post much in forum.

Anyways, as amitash said, a core i7 will only get faster and faster but on the other hand dual cores will get slower and slower. And when you get bored of core i7,just upgrade with a new processor as the successors use the same socket (socket 1366) that Nehalem uses.

acewin

Point Blanc
well desibond is right in the say if you wanna run your system for very long as to 2-3 years i7 is good investment. triple chanel RAM performacne of DDR3 and all,

but if you wanna change specs in a year or 6 months its not a wise buy IMO.
Nehalem and socket 1366 are here to stay, but alot much more optimization will be done in the hardware of i7, once done power consumption and all will come down with better fabication and all, thats what happens and will continue to happen.

But people with huge bucks, or people(some of our good board members, and I really m fan of their capability) who find a good buyer each and every time when they wanna do upgrade, you really need to learn this from them

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
but hoping for future only, and investing around 15 for proccy is not a gr8 idea. by the time more games gets released which makes use of 4 ro 8 threads in bout 1~1.5 yrs[8 threads], there will be pretty much other alternatives from intel or amd much cheaper n faster [upcoming 32nm ones]and ull feel like upgrading again even if it ight have same socket. So the bucks uve put into ur current proccy seems somewhat wasted.

u wont find enuf games or apps which cud make the full utilization of an i7. Surelly other things will be bottleneck like gpu.
get a cpu which gets the job done well as of now an u can utilize it fully and also has gud vfm like a P2 920 and a vfm mobo for max 6~7k.

and if u think u can utilize in coming months when more apps n games releases for it... others might be getting new proccys with same or more power with half the price.

amitash

Intel OCer
In 1-1.5yrs, yes 32nm westemere will be out and i dont think core i7 will bottleneck the gpu...It will take the position of where the Q9600 holds now...And with same socket it will cost lesser in the long run...Definitely, it wont be much of a bottleneck in 2-2.5yrs, even if it is, all you are spending is little more on a westmere chip rather than upgrade entire cpu+mobo+RAM like you have to if you go AMD right now....AMD are no competetion in the high end market, anything below 50k is where their market share lies, but above, you have to get an i7.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
but hoping for future only, and investing around 15 for proccy is not a gr8 idea. by the time more games gets released which makes use of 4 ro 8 threads in bout 1~1.5 yrs[8 threads], there will be pretty much other alternatives from intel or amd much cheaper n faster [upcoming 32nm ones]and ull feel like upgrading again even if it ight have same socket. So the bucks uve put into ur current proccy seems somewhat wasted.

Actually, core i7 will always be a premium platform and there won't be a need to upgrade in next 2years and when you want to, all you need to change is processor, which is better when compared to changing entire rig.
Also, I don't think it takes another 18months for games utilizing 4 core to come up. They have already started and you will see many by end of this year.

u wont find enuf games or apps which cud make the full utilization of an i7. Surelly other things will be bottleneck like gpu.

nope. core i7 is as fast or faster than current gen dual cores and quad cores and once game developers start optimizing games for this, the margin will increase and increase and increase.

get a cpu which gets the job done well as of now an u can utilize it fully and also has gud vfm like a P2 920 and a vfm mobo for max 6~7k.
Then there is no need to put 70k-80k. just get a 30k-40k rig and after a year again put another 40k, which again gets stale in a year. Instead, isn't it better to put 70k-80 now on a platform that is getting better and better.

and if u think u can utilize in coming months when more apps n games releases for it... others might be getting new proccys with same or more power with half the price.

no. they won't. As I said earlier, core i7 is a premium platform and it will stay premium. you won't find such drastic price cuts.

The Nehalem architecture itself is so powerful that it will take many more years for AMD to catch up and by that time, Intel will have it's successor.

Until AMD readies its actual Fusion CPU+GPU, there is no competition to Nehalem.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I am tired of saying this again and again. @buyer, if you really want a killer rig for 80k, go for core i7. If you want to upgrade again in a year and put 70k on rig, still get core i7. If you want to have Phenom II based rig, don't put anything higher than 50k.

I still remember when I asked buyers to wait for Nehalem (around October last year) as it will be future proof, they were laughing at what future proof means. Nearly after 7 months, it is still getting better and better and it is still a premium gaming platform. Those who took the decision to wait and get core i7 and still happy to be in premium segment and those who went ahead and bought alternate systems are now looking for upgrade and they will certainly have to upgrade their hardware in few months to game at full throttle.

Thanks to the superb architecture of core i7, it will enjoy the premium tag for years to come.

PS: Don't take me as Intel fan. my budget for month end's upgrade is 20k and am getting AMD again!!

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I am tired of saying this again and again. @buyer, if you really want a killer rig for 80k, go for core i7. If you want to upgrade again in a year and put 70k on rig, still get core i7. If you want to have Phenom II based rig, don't put anything higher than 50k.

I still remember when I asked buyers to wait for Nehalem (around October last year) as it will be future proof, they were laughing at what future proof means. Nearly after 7 months, it is still getting better and better and it is still a premium gaming platform. Those who took the decision to wait and get core i7 and still happy to be in premium segment and those who went ahead and bought alternate systems are now looking for upgrade and they will certainly have to upgrade their hardware in few months to game at full throttle.

Thanks to the superb architecture of core i7, it will enjoy the premium tag for years to come.

PS: Don't take me as Intel fan. my budget for month end's upgrade is 20k and am getting AMD again!!

also, whatever is there now, will becom obsolete once Intel and AMD releases CPU+GPU by 2011. So if you are thinking of upgrading again next year, think again!!!

OP
Arnab boss

Arnab boss

In the zone
Thanks guys 4 this knowledgeable discussion....'

Now I am quite convinced 4 core i7 but as I heard that intel is launching westmere in nxt yr so why not get that and stay atleast future ready...?

I read a benchmark review of phenom 2 940 and intel core i7... They reviewed both proccys with same config and it says that these 2 proccys r quite similar in many tests and in some tests phenom 2 beated core i7 and they were shoked 2 c that and told in conclusion that phenom 2 is better in this price than in core i7s price as in performance and pricing...!

Now how much true is this and guys after reading the review I am totally confused...' what 2 do....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom