need help to build up a gaming rig @ 70k

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ I rather buy a sound card or a better graphic card then spend so much on a case. Also note that katmandude have increase his rates to around 70rs. per dollar.

amitash

Intel OCer
Thanks dude, but I really want an Amd phenom 2 rig as I heard a lot abt it and my earlier rig was a pentium 4.....so I want to try Amd...'

And my nxt rig would certainly b core I but I am waiting for there quadro series proccy which they will launch in nov 09 or in 2010....!

I think thats sheer waste of money...Who cares whether its amd or intel....Its the performance that matters and i dont know what youve heard but ive never seen an amd procy outperform core i7.

And forgive me if im ignorant, but what are "quadro processors"...Ive never come accross them....The Intel procy coming out in 2010 Q1 is westmere which has 6 cores for a total of 12 threads....and these procys support the current core i7 lga1366 mobos, so there is no need to change mobo or RAM when u want to upgrade, so it makes much more sense to get a core i7 now.

OP
Arnab boss

Arnab boss

In the zone
I think thats sheer waste of money...Who cares whether its amd or intel....Its the performance that matters and i dont know what youve heard but ive never seen an amd procy outperform core i7.

And forgive me if im ignorant, but what are "quadro processors"...Ive never come accross them....The Intel procy coming out in 2010 Q1 is westmere which has 6 cores for a total of 12 threads....and these procys support the current core i7 lga1366 mobos, so there is no need to change mobo or RAM when u want to upgrade, so it makes much more sense to get a core i7 now.

I agree with u but I didn't said that Amd performs better than core i7 proccys...! I meant that its better than intel 9 series proccys...'

As 4 quadro proccys I heard this thing in this forum as one of the member said it in reply....'

And I would certainly want to go 4 a core i7 rig but as I have 4 gb of ddr2 ram so I want an ddr2 support proccy

As I said earlier I will go 4 the core i7 next yr....'

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^@arnab: that's really bad thinking!!!

80k is a perfect amount for a core i7 setup. AMD setup kicks in when you have a budget of 40k-50k.

Moreover, core i7 will always be a premium product, be it this year or next year. If you are thinking of getting AMD rig this year and replacing it with core i7 next year, you will be losing lot of money.

Moreover, if you get i7 now, you will be among the core i7 community which is very very very special. There are hardly 10 digitians on core i7 I think.

Take Amitash's suggestion and go for core i7 and sell your ddr2 RAM.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Gaming rigs dont need i7. Its practically useless as of now. One is just under-utilising i7 system by gettin 1333mhz rams and paying 6-7k on it. Moverover their average TDP is high. Why spend so much for a gaming rig?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Gaming rigs dont need i7. Its practically useless as of now. One is just under-utilizing i7 system by gettin with high latency for 1333mhz frequency ddr3 rams and paying 6-7k on it. Moverover their average TDP is high. Why spend so much for a gaming rig? Its not as if he is planning on heavy rendering/distributed computing system, is it?
People who mostly havent used system seem to underestimate current c2d systems. Besides i7 processors have certain flaw of their own. I dont a point why tell people to buy an i7 rig? Game companies and graphic card makers themselves admit that GPU is way more important than cpu. People who haven't used the current c2ds dont know how good they are. Spending 25-30k just for the motherboard and processor is not a wise decision for gaming.
The OP got relevant advices from many people here. There's not much to add I believe. Its best if he reads all the post again and make decisions for new rig accordingly.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^Your question itself has answer. When core i7 is being underutilized (which I don't think so), its full potential will be utilized in coming months. Which means, that it is better to have core i7 and forget about upgrades for another 2years or so.

Even when it is clearly ahead of every other processor when being underutilized, why not have it now and enjoy processing power for next couple of years.

Why spend so much for a gaming rig

isn't a 10% increase in processing power a huge advantage for a gaming rig??

Moverover their average TDP is high
core i7 give lot higher 'performance per watt' when compared to other processors, which means though it takes slightly more power, it gives lot more processing power back, which in my opinion is a fair deal.

In this case, when the budget is nearly 80k, it's better to invest on core i7 than to take a slower processor and again upgrade next year.

Gowt1ham

Gowt1ham
Core i7 config prices are ridiculous right now. Prices will halve in the coming months. Not the best time for i7 according to me.

How abt 955BE on AM3 motherboard? 955BE can do 7ghz+ with a tank of helium.

955BE will retail @ around 15k in India.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
not to forget that i7 920's overclocking potential.

with after market cooler, you get a 4GHz spped on this processor and at that speed it gives 10-20% increase in framerate over stock speeds.

*hothardware.com/Articles/Overclocking-Intels-Core-i7-920-Processor/?page=1
*www.cpu3d.com/review/6265-11/intel-core-i7-920-nehalem-processor/overclocking.html
*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking_12.html
*forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=2248210
*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-core-i7,2063.html

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Core i7 config prices are ridiculous right now. Prices will halve in the coming months. Not the best time for i7 according to me.

How abt 955BE on AM3 motherboard? 955BE can do 7ghz+ with a tank of helium.

955BE will retail @ around 15k in India.

hmm. core i7 price drop is more like a myth!!!

Since their release, how much price drop has happened. 1k at the max.

for those who can't afford core i7, Intel is readying core i5, which I am sure will be beaten by AMD Phenom II.

1) i7's price is due to the high quality components and it's price won't come down
2) There won't be any real competition for i7 for another 18 months.
3) By the time AMD comes up with a solution to beat core i7, Intel will be having core i7's successor, 6 core Westmere in the market (which can be used on existing X58 mobo) (release in early 2010)

All in all, I feel that core i7 will be a really good investment right now, given that you won't need to change anything except processor for an upgrade next year.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
not to forget that i7 920's overclocking potential.
Yeah....and the fact the processor alone consumes as high as 300w on load. Besides do gamers now really need that speed. If the OP wants to make benchmark scores- that's a different scenario.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^so what?
at full load,
Phenom II X4 940 takes 340W when overclocked to 3.6GHz
Q9650 takes 260W at stock speed
E8600 takes 240W at stock speed

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
IMO if u hav 70+ budget, and not buying a Core i7 rig...dats a big mistake and a waste of money!!! :D

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
everyone hav their own taste for gaming...for me gaming on console is for fun and party :p for serious gaming I need my system ;)

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Well, if that's the case then it makes sense to save 30k and spend 50k for the system. When and if the need arrives for upgrade, he will need to upgrade the rams, motherboard, processor and graphic card. By that time, High frequency rams, good ICs, more energy efficiency processors, different architectures will come. This isnt a good time to buy an extremely new tech since it is ridiculously expensive. By the time he wants to upgrade, he will have the required things allready from the existing rig- case, psu, hard drives, keyboard, mouse, speakers, sound card- whatever.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
If you think of tomorrow, then even after a year, there will be something else in the waiting. One lesson that I learned is that you should always get the best for the money that you have instead of thinking about tomorrow's technology (Unless you there is something groundbreaking in a month or two)

amitash

Intel OCer
Gaming rigs dont need i7. Its practically useless as of now. One is just under-utilizing i7 system by gettin with high latency for 1333mhz frequency ddr3 rams and paying 6-7k on it. Moverover their average TDP is high. Why spend so much for a gaming rig? Its not as if he is planning on heavy rendering/distributed computing system, is it?
People who mostly havent used system seem to underestimate current c2d systems. Besides i7 processors have certain flaw of their own. I dont a point why tell people to buy an i7 rig? Game companies and graphic card makers themselves admit that GPU is way more important than cpu. People who haven't used the current c2ds dont know how good they are. Spending 25-30k just for the motherboard and processor is not a wise decision for gaming.
The OP got relevant advices from many people here. There's not much to add I believe. Its best if he reads all the post again and make decisions for new rig accordingly.

The point is for anything above 70k core i7 is the way to go....AND RAM isnt that expensive, if you order thru KMD you can get 6gb of ddr3 1600 OCZ platinum 7-7-7-21 RAM for ONLY 6.5k.

Well, if that's the case then it makes sense to save 30k and spend 50k for the system. When and if the need arrives for upgrade, he will need to upgrade the rams, motherboard, processor and graphic card. By that time, High frequency rams, good ICs, more energy efficiency processors, different architectures will come. This isnt a good time to buy an extremely new tech since it is ridiculously expensive. By the time he wants to upgrade, he will have the required things allready from the existing rig- case, psu, hard drives, keyboard, mouse, speakers, sound card- whatever.

If you want to talk about "future proofing" an intel rig will have all the k/b hard drive, case etc too...AND intel have announced that the new westmere procys coming out next year will support the current lga1366 mobos....SO in a couple of yrs if you feel you need to upgrade then all you do is get a new gfx card and procy and your good to go for another 2 yrs...now THATS vfm

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
E8600 takes 240W at stock speed
Well you seem to have forgot couple of details nevertheless important ones :)). Let me show it to you:
*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e8600_4.html
It says here clearly. e8600 consumes 231watts on load AND overclocked. e8500 consumes that much power. I was talking about e8400. TDP is 65W in an average and if you overclock it to 4GHz (assuming you have a good s-spec batch which can OC nicely) , you'll be looking at ~120W, which is 10A on the 12V rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom