Need Advice - R9 290x or R9 290

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
NEED ADVICE- Bought R9 290- PICS ADDED

Hello,
I have been pondering too long for a good graphics card and the long awaited journey after long "techy" discussion has finally paid off. But I am really confused now !!!

I was initially thinking to get R9 290x but many told me to not go for 290x rather invest on R90 and save extra 10K.
But as far as the market concerned I cant see an OC cards coming in for 290 .

So if you could please advice what should I do : whether go for 290x or just get 290 and Crossfire few months later I would really be glad.

Many Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PICS

*i42.tinypic.com/33bny1x.jpg

*i40.tinypic.com/357ocpe.jpg

*i40.tinypic.com/mkjas7.jpg

Last edited:

Harshverma

Broken In
it will be better if you go for 780ti or if you want to stick with amd then go for r9 290 and go for crossfire then.

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you are planning to go for Multi-GPU solution, get the R9 290, not the X version. 290 does not suffer from the heating and noise issue of its bigger brother, with the current BIOS and driver updates, it can now touch its maximum boost speed and with the integrated Crossfire chip which has cleared he need for an Crossfire bridge connector, it now scales better in Crossfire than all the nVidia solutions. 7
And it will not be better if you go with 780 ti. Reason: its huge price and minimal performance advantage over a R9 290X.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
If you are planning to go for Multi-GPU solution, get the R9 290, not the X version. 290 does not suffer from the heating and noise issue of its bigger brother, with the current BIOS and driver updates, it can now touch its maximum boost speed and with the integrated Crossfire chip which has cleared he need for an Crossfire bridge connector, it now scales better in Crossfire than all the nVidia solutions. 7
And it will not be better if you go with 780 ti. Reason: its huge price and minimal performance advantage over a R9 290X.

Thank You Cilus,
I have bee waiting for your suggestion . No I wont be going with Nvidia , I didnt like its graphics/rendering structure at all , the pixels seems too artificial whereas AMD rendering is much inclined to realistic tone.

Ok, Should i wait for the Custom Cool version ? Or can I Buy the Reference card of 290 ? I really cant wait more I am hoping to get by coming Monday .

Please suggest

Custom R9 290 Cards Expected Before Custom R9 290Xs

I really cant wait that much that much bro, any other suggestion?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Get the reference cooled version if you are in hurry. With the latest BIOS version and new Catalyst Driver update, R9 290 does not suffer from the problems like throttling and high temparature any more. Only the overclocking potential will be limited.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Get the reference cooled version if you are in hurry. With the latest BIOS version and new Catalyst Driver update, R9 290 does not suffer from the problems like throttling and high temparature any more. Only the overclocking potential will be limited.

And If I personally ask you to suggest , will you ask me to wait then?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Depends upon my future upgrade plans. If I am planning to Crossfire in future, I will go with the reference model as they are more suitable for Dual GPU solution because of their heat exhaust behid the card. Custom cooler based cards normally push the air inside the cabinet, resulting each of them blowing the hot air over another. Also the card itself is a very powerful one, I don't think you need to overclock them in Crossfire mode.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Depends upon my future upgrade plans. If I am planning to Crossfire in future, I will go with the reference model as they are more suitable for Dual GPU solution because of their heat exhaust behid the card. Custom cooler based cards normally push the air inside the cabinet, resulting each of them blowing the hot air over another. Also the card itself is a very powerful one, I don't think you need to overclock them in Crossfire mode.

Fine then, I am going to get reference card .
Which one should I go for? Asus , Spphire or Gigabyte?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
you can consider zotac also as it gives 5 years of warranty after registering product on their website within 14 days of purchase.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
you can consider zotac also as it gives 5 years of warranty after registering product on their website within 14 days of purchase.

:lol:

@op I would wait for Custom cooler - Ofcourse New drivers have solved the throttling issues,but Have no impact on Noise issue.R9 290 is really loud. Just think what will happen when you go for xfire - Noise pollution

see this video

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Ya its may be a bit noisy but in a closed cabi, it wont be giving any trouble i think.
Also, as Cilus suggested I am in mind to crossfire so reference cards shouldn't be a bad choice .

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Can anyone tell me the solo power requirement of R9 290 is?

Can I connect it with a separate psu of 400watt from outside without using a 850 as a whole..?

Can anyone tell me the solo power requirement of R9 290 is?

Can I connect it with a separate psu of 400watt from outside without using a 850 as a whole..?

850 W is totally enough for the complete config and hence, no need of connecting it with a separate PSU.

R9 290 Have Max 250w power.

650W is enough for Single gpu , 1000W is for Dual gpu.

:rofl::rofl:

Why rofl, it is totally possible. Many overclockers do that.

Techguy

In the zone
Between the 290 and the 290X, the 290X is a bit faster, but the 290 is more VFM.. because the performance difference is negligible. About the heating problem... both the cards run hot at 94C... and yes both are loud.. buy the 290 cause it performs almost as well and yet it is cheaper..

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Yes Harsil you are right,
I dont have enough money to buy a psu now so was thinking to buy anything around 400 watt and connect with GPU.
My current PSU is CM 600 watt do you think it would be enough for single GPU?

850 W is totally enough for the complete config and hence, no need of connecting it with a separate PSU.

Why rofl, it is totally possible. Many overclockers do that.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
depending on the model of the CM PSU this may or may not be enough to handle a single R9 290 [x] Post the model no. of the CM PSU.

BTW, what's that Corsair 650 in your siggy ? If it's TX 650 then it's enough to handle the new gpu ;)

Top Bottom