Need advice for a workstation.!

godofwar

Broken In
Hey guys,
Its been a long time, 2 and 1/2 years to be exact since I upgraded my system. My config is as follows Intel Quad core 9400, ATI Radeon 4870, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB hard disk. I am basically looking at a good processor and a graphics card, also adding some RAM to boost its rendering especially Vray. What do you guys suggest? I am not able to find a Motherboard which accomodates the i7 processor with the Nvidia GTX 560.! The cost factor also is bugging me.!:|

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
overlock the 9400. its a pretty fast processor. go GPU, go for GTX560Ti. Upgrading from 4870 to 560 won't make a lot of sense.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Let us know what is your total budget for the upgrade. And your Processor is pretty powerful, no need to upgrade now. Instead you can invest that money to the GPU. Aslo what PSU you're having?

d3p

PowerHouse
@Sam: I guess OP is looking for rendering & 560ti is consumer card, which won't help much in rendering part. AMD FireGL 5600 cost close to 17k, will be a great card for OP.

Last edited:
OP
G

godofwar

Broken In
Thanks for all replies.:-D

@Sam GTX560Ti is exactly what I am looking at. I didnt mention the 'Ti' at the end.!:lol:
@Cilus I am estimating a total budget of 80k and am saving everything for the 'best' system for rendering.! I am learning Vray, which takes so much time just for a 'tiny' (640*480) still frame render in my current system. I am using the Zebronics 600W PSU.
@d3p Can you suggest a similar card in the Nvidia family.? I am pretty much interested in an Nvidia.!

d3p

PowerHouse
Throw that PSU & fill this template.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

OP
G

godofwar

Broken In
@d3p Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mainy for 3d applications. Maya, 3dsMax is what I mainly intend to use and Vray extensively. I do not plan on installing any games for now.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 80k+5k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 64bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Plan on reusing the 500GB Seagate from my current system.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. Have a 17" Samsung LCD

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, UPS, Hard disk, Speakers, Keyboard, Mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within the 3rd week of May.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Done by an assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Yes. Yes.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: No, everything is clear I suppose. If any other info is needed please let me know. Thanks.

SunE

Professional Newbie
Component Make Price
CPU Intel Core i7 2600k 18232
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 9293
RAM G.Skill RipjawsZ 16GB 7204
GPU Gigabyte GTX 680 32100
Case Corsair 400R 5000
PSU Corsair HX650 7000
DVD Asus DRW-24B3ST 1158
TOTAL 79987

The GPU price is from smcinternational.in(price exclusive of shipping) and the motherboard price is from Parvat Computers in SP Road(price incl. of 5% VAT).
Rest all are from flipkart though the Case and PSU are outta stock so you might have to get them locally. :)

OP
G

godofwar

Broken In
@SunE Thanks for the config. Gigabyte GTX 680 hmm.. another option for me.

Any other configs.? So many users here.! give me some more to choose from.!:twisted:

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you want my suggestion then get the following for now:-

Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (For over clocking your CPU) @ 2.2K
Another 4 GB of Corsair Value Select DDR3 @ 1.1K
Gogabyte HD 7870 OC GV-R787OC-2GD @ 21.1K

Reason for suggesting AMD 7000 series card over GTX 680: GTX 680 has poor performance in GPU computing, it is almost 20 to 30% slower than GTX 580. On the other hand all the 7000 series cards are very good in GPU computing because of their new GCN architecture and 7870 is having the best performance/price ratio.

Also you have a 17" DISPALY, anything over a HD 6850 is actually overkill. I'll suggest you to get a 1080P display for working on 3D applications, 17" is too tiny.

BenQ G2220HDL is available at 7.5K which is a very good option.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Intel Core i7 3930K @ 36K
EVGA X79 SLI @ 18K
Asus DVD ROM @ 1K
CORSAIR TX750 V2 @ 6K
NZXT LEXA S @ 4K
Kingston 4GB DDR3 x 3 @ 3K (Offer)
HIS RADEON HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 @ 15K
As you wont do much gaming , the RADEON HD 7850 will be perfect. Also you will benefit extreme Performance with the Hexa core SANDYBRIDGE Extreme Processors.
TOTAL IS 83K.

Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler @ 2K
GRAND TOTAL :- 85K

OP
G

godofwar

Broken In
@Cilus I am not planning on Overclocking my old system. Vray is taking ages to render in that.! I probably think that it is a fast processor which my system is lacking.! Thanks for suggestion. And also the 7870 I will look into it.

@Sainatarajan Thanks for your config. You pretty much nailed the whole 85k.! The Kingston 12gb is available for 3k! I cant beleive that.! Also, the 7850 a card from ATI. Finally, some cards other than Nvidia.! Thanks.

Well, anyone else has any other config. that they feel is good.? Please put in your thoughts.!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
My vote for config by Cilus? Reason that Sandy Bridge is more than enough for most worstation purpose. No need to pour cash on Ivy Bridge. Just get the processor and motherboard by SunE and rest by Cilus

Cilus

laborare est orare
godofwar, you need to upgrade your Monitor buddy, 17" display is too tiny for Computer Aided Design applications. Since you wanna whole system upgrade, let me suggest a config including a monitor but well within your budget.

Sainatarajan, Sandybridge-E (suggested by you) uses Quad channel memory controller. So placing 3 memory modules won't let you to take advantage of the high memoory read/write capacity of the fast memory controller of SNB-E. So always suggest Ram modules which are multiple of 2 for Sandybridge/Ivy Bridge and multiple of 4 in case of SNB-E.

Here is my suggestion:-

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 17K
Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler @ 2K
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 @ 10K
G-skill RipjawX 1600 MHz 4GB X 4 DDR3 @ 6K
Seasonic SS-850AT 850W 80+ Bronze PSU @ 6.3K
Sapphire HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5 @ 22K
Asus 24X SATA Black DVD R/W @ 1K
AOC i2353Ph 23" Full HD IPS Panel based Display @ 12K

Total 76.3K.

Now let me explain a little about the config. Don't need to spend 36K for just the processor here. Core i7 2600K is a hell of a processor and can handle all your workload for next couple of years with ease. It offers the best Performance/Price ratio for a workstation and multi-threaded environment. It has Hyperthreading, so can handle 8 threads at at time + K means unlocked multiplier and overclocking when you wanna some more performance.

Although you're not planning to overclock, I have still suggested a Cooler because Intel stock coolers are just next to crap and their performance in high load condition is abysmal even when not overclocked. So an aftermarket cooler is very much recommended, especially in Summer time.

HD 7870 offers gaming performance compared to GTX 580 and GPU Computing power is better because of AMD's new GCN Architecture. Also because of its 28 nm fabrication process it runs cooler and consume very less power which are plus point when you are going to use your system as workstation, high load in most of the times. So at 22K price it is recommended gere.

Suggested you 16 GB 1600 MHz Ram in Dual chanel configuration. Intel Memory controllers are very fast and can take the advantage of the extra speed. However, you can stick with 8 GB ram for now.

Lastly, I have suggested you a Monitor although you are having one. The reason is your monitor is 17" Display is too small for rendering work. You need a display which is big enough to analyze every details of your work and can provide very good accuracy to reproduce the colors of the image. That's why I've suggested you a IPS panel based LED display. IPS is superior to cheaper TN panel alternatives and can provide very good reproduction of color.

OP
G

godofwar

Broken In
Thanks for all suggestions. The list seems to be completed. Its time to splash the cash and get my system.! I will post about it soon when I get them. Thanks again.

Top Bottom