Need a good antivir for linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunak

Tux Fan
I need a good antivirus for ubuntu 6.06.
i tried avast.
first i downloaded the deb files but after installation i couldnt find it in the list of installed apps nor in the menu structure.
then i downloaded the tar.gz files but it didnt set up a resident protection like it does in windows.
Any suggestions?

mediator

Technomancer
Antivirus for linux? :D. Dude relax, the only virus I can think of for Linux is a dangerous shell script that will need execution rights first (i.e changing its permission manually) and then to be executed manually and that too as root to completely destroy ur system! See. So much task to be done to destroy linux comparable to maintaining a windows PC!!

Neways sophos is there to hog system memory!

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Shaunak, Linux is not Windows!! Almost all the viruses that do damage to Windows O.S
won't work in Linux. Also there's no need for anti-spyware. Don't worry Linux is more secure.
Also the 'Avast Linux Home Edition' that you downloaded only works in cmd-line!!
For help with 'Avast' , open the Terminal Window & type:

$ avast --help

Usage: avast [OPTION...] <areaname...>
avast v1.0.6 -- command-line virus scanner

Options:
-_, --console Application will be working in STDIN/STDOUT mode
-a, --testall Test all of the files (default)
-b, --blockdevices Scan block devices
-c, --testfull Scan entire files
-d, --directory Scan only directory content
-i, --ignoretype Ignore virus sets
-n, --nostats No virus check statistics
-p, --continue=1234 Automatic action with infected file:
1:delete, 2:(not supported), 3:repair, 4:stop
-r, --report=[*]file Create report file, '*' for OK results
-t, --archivetype[=ZGBTIJRXOQHFVPYD6UWAN] Scan archives: Z:ZIP(default),
G:GZ(default), B:BZIP2(default), T:TAR(default),
I:MIME, J:ARJ, R:RAR, X:Exec(default), O:ZOO,
Q:ARC, H:LHA, F:TNEF, V:CPIO, P:RPM, Y:ISO,
D:DBX, 6:SIS, U:OLE, W:WINEXEC(default), A:All,
N:None
-v, --viruslist=mask Show list of all specific viruses
-h, --help Give this help list
--usage Give a short usage message
-V, --version Print program version

Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional
for any corresponding short options.

Report bugs to <support@avast.com>.

Last edited:

cpyder

CpyderGraphix
You may try clamav also. install avscan which is the front end. Though you will once again have to use terminal to launch the front end.

This can be installed using Synaptic in Dapper Drake. Just mark <clamav> and related base, daemon etc and hit apply. you are done.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
if u are a home user u don't need anti-virus, trust me it has from day 1 i did'nt use any AV but i pc is more safer than windows and u dont waste any of ur system resources sanning for files. but if u still want a av try CLAMAV it is used my many servers.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Anti viruses exist on linux for the sole purpose of scanning mails and data that is being transferred to windows client from linux server. They have no real use in linux environment.

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Well, Its always Safe to have ClamAV on the background.. Its Automatically Updated Daily (Hourly maybe).

Install ClamAV
sudo apt-get install clamav clamav-daemon clamav-freshclam
(That Installs the Daemon, so it starts when your Start your OS)

After Installation, you need to Update the Definitions,
sudo freshclam

The Autoupdate is Automatically added to the Init, so you dont need to Manually Update it Anymore.. (The Daily updates are a mere Few KBs)

If you need a GUI Frontend for Scanning Files Manually (scanning ONLY)
sudo apt-get install clamtk

Regards,
Subbu

(My First Post, Yay!)

red_hat

Broken In
While surfin I found this topic in Linux community and thought its useful for noobs and i think its related to topic so am pasting link.
Topic is I wonder why linux doesnt have viruses?

*www.orkut.com/CommMsgs.aspx?cmm=141&tid=2491191386596107200&na=1&nst=1

Last edited:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
subbzzz said:
Well, Its always Safe to have ClamAV on the background.. Its Automatically Updated Daily (Hourly maybe).
But why on earth is it necessary to have an Antivirus running?? and that too on Ubuntu Desktop???

Are you an ISP or something??

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
GNUrag said:
But why on earth is it necessary to have an Antivirus running?? and that too on Ubuntu Desktop???

Are you an ISP or something??
I Dont personally Use it, but some are VERY conscious about Viruses.. So.. :)

mehulved

Which viruses? Why do they give permissions for the viruses to execute, firstly that they need an anti-virus?

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
i dont think resident protection is required for linux. it will only hog memory resources. best is to scan each file as soon as u download it. maybe we will need one in the near future.

i use avast home and find it quite gud. i prefer the tarball to that of the deb file.

mediator

Technomancer
@subzzz....free ur mind dude! Just give em the address of this forum and tell em to read the posts in open source section and read (*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38169) this too. All ur problems will be solved and satisfaction guaranteed ! :)

mehulved

saurabh.sauron said:
i dont think resident protection is required for linux. it will only hog memory resources. best is to scan each file as soon as u download it. maybe we will need one in the near future.

i use avast home and find it quite gud. i prefer the tarball to that of the deb file.
But why instal an anti virus? I have been asking it for so long and none of you'll are giving any good reason for it.

mediator

Technomancer
^^ I guess noobs to linux have a lotta pre-concieved notions and misconceptions and r frustrated and feel extremely paranoid after using windows. I guess all the world users need a good experience of *nix to free and relax their minds. "JAB LIFE MEIN HO ARAM TO IDEAS AATEIN HAIN" :D!

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
I know linux is safer but [after all i am connected to a windows lan network.]
i have decided against on access protection still i have downloaded avast workstation edition binaries and will use then to scan whenever required.
Thank you all for responding.

mediator

Technomancer
I understand. But still I believe antivirus shud be deployed on it rightful place. If ur thinking of leaving windows PC's anti-virus-less and do all the job from linux, then I dont think it wud be a good practice. Windows antiviruses are more professional with more features etc. What if virus is introduced via CDROm,floppy,USB in windows pc??

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i tried a a cd's full my my avast virus cheast and triesd to run it but most of them were *.exe so nothing happen even i gave them root execess:D so linux is more safer than windows. u home user won't need a anti-virus at all even is he does work on windows envirment b'cos most virus are *.exe but beware of non exe's & shell scripts. they can harm u

mehulved

Well one of the biggest malware problem is ActiveX, which is fortunately not present of Linux. So, that makes Linux a lot safer. Of course there are other reasons too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom