Need a gaming PC for 80k

Cilus

laborare est orare
For pushing 4.6GHz in Haswell, you need a serious cooling solution, sub 3K coolers won't do and Water coolers are highly recommended for it.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
@cilus ...can a non-haswell previous gen unlocked proc like 3770K can prove to be a better overclocker than haswell? i read that haswell really concentrated on temp control, i noticed that too or is it in mobile CPU's only?

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
For Pure gaming i don't see any need to push CPU to 4.6GHz now at least. I5 and 4.2GHz is great and Deep cool Ice blade pro. can handle that much IMO. water coolers will come with another bunch of hassles.
So till games dont require op should not overclock more than 4.2GHz IMO.:)

ASHISH65

Technomancer
^ yes ivy bridge overclocks better than haswell

So till games dont require op should not overclock more than 4.2GHz IMO.

Even at stock Game will easily run.OC yields minimal differences in gaming

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
@Ashish/cilus-> so now if i ask that if i have a ivy-bridge good over-clocker proc in one hand and the counterpart of the said processor in haswell in the other , say 3570K vs 4570K, which will prove to be better for gamers who over-clock and in which segments? Power? Temp ? more performance/bucks?

why would one buy a ivy-bridge instead over a haswell and why not? (if the haswell one is few hundred bucks less may be?)

Last edited:

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
^^ That is very truly said mate, my point is if don't need that why should push CPU to its limit?? just for show off. better to play in safe limit IMO

Cilus

laborare est orare
@cilus ...can a non-haswell previous gen unlocked proc like 3770K can prove to be a better overclocker than haswell? i read that haswell really concentrated on temp control, i noticed that too or is it in mobile CPU's only?

Haswell K series Processors are terrible overclocker, though they consume less powers. In Mobile platform, there is no provision for overclocking and that's why power consumption and heat generation is out of question there. In Haswell design, Intel has integrated the VRM (voltage Regulation Module) inside the CPU packagae which used to be present in the Motherboard. High end Motherboards used to have very high quality VRm design tailor made for overclocking, handling the extra heat and current needed for stable overclocking.
Now Intel's implementation in Haswell didn't go too well; it is okay when not overclocking to handle the current and power and when you push it higher, the CPU become highly unstable. Even with the best coolers and motherboard, 4.5 GHz is the stable speed you can achieve. Reviewers of Tomshardware and Anandtech was able to push 4770K to 4.7 GHz after a lot of Trials which was not very stable and they concluded that irrespective of how powerful cooler or motherboard you're using, 4.7GHz is the max achievable overclocking under normal scenario.
For us, with a sub 15K motherboard and lower-mid end Air Cooler, 4.2 to 4.3 GHz is the max achievable overclocking.

@Ashish/cilus-> so now if i ask that if i have a ivy-bridge good over-clocker proc in one hand and the counterpart of the said processor in haswell in the other , say 3570K vs 4570K, which will prove to be better for gamers who over-clock and in which segments? Power? Temp ? more performance/bucks?

why would one buy a ivy-bridge instead over a haswell and why not? (if the haswell one is few hundred bucks less may be?)

People buy Haswell because it is the new standard. If you get an comparable Ivy Bridge then it is okay for now but in near future, upgrade path is closed as Intel has discontinued it. And for your info: A Haswell Processor, running at the same speed of an Ivy Bridge Processor with other specifications (Number of cores, size of L2 and L3 Cache) same, performs only 6% to 8% higher than it.
You can check the Tomshardware best CPU for the money for November where they are still recommending Ivy Bridge i5 Quad Cores over Haswell.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
confirmed :D i read the tom's earlier, that was one of the reason i brought up the question here. it seems the notebook, ultrabook section has largely benefited from Haswell, for desktop PC's haswell is more like "new tech so buy it" stuff :)

ASHISH65

Technomancer

Very well Explained by clius :cool: It all depends on budget,if price difference between ivy and haswell is less, get Haswell.

Advantages of haswell over ivy are Better IGPU,more features,6-9% faster (on paper).Regarding Upgrade path Both are equal as Only Fools are going to upgrade from haswell to Broadwell and also there is rumour that broadwell may need new mobo.Then again new socket for Skylake.

In OC, Sandy > ivy > Haswell :wink: .Honestly if anyone have sandy or ivy bridge i5/i7 cpu - there is no need to upgrade until Skylake arrives

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
how is this one over hyper 212 evo Antec Khuler Box AP CPU Cooler Cooler - Antec: Flipkart.com ?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Since OP also wants to run VMWares, Video Editing software along with games and also wants to overclock, what about an AMD solution. I tried to build one with a more beefy Graphics card, check it out:-

FX-8350 @ 12.5K
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 @ 8K
Kingston HyperX Blue 4GB X 2 1600 MHz DDR3 @ 4.7K
DeepCool iceblade Pro CPu Cooler @ 3K
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA III HDD @ 4.1K
Asus R9 290 @ 36K (ASUS GRAPHICS CARD R9 290 4GB DDR5 (R9290-4GD5 - 90YV0560-U0IA00 - 886227632565 - 38,095.23))
Asus 24BS5T 24X SATA DVD R/W 1K
Corsair Carbide 400R Cabinet @ 5.35K (CORSAIR CABINET 400R (CC-9011011-WW - CC-9011011-WW - - 6,850.00))
Seasonic SS750-JS 750W 80+ PSU @ 5.6K (SeaSonic SS-750JS 750W 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply)
APC 1.1KVA Black @ 5.6K

Total: 85.4K

Her I have added a R9 290 Graphics card which performs better than a GTX 780 Graphics card and OP can play all the latest games with highest possible settings in 1080P resolution. Also with the latest BIOS update and new Catalyst Driver, the throttling issue has been resolved with 290 and it is also recommended by Tomshardware in their November issue of Best Graphics Card for Money.

In the recent games like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, COD Ghost. Hitman Absolution. the performance difference between the AMD FX-8350 and corresponding Intel Counterparts are really very marginal because of the Multi-Ciore optimization and with a far more powerful card, the AMD solution will definitely perform better.

Overclocking is a piece of cake with AMD solution. With DeepCool Ice Blade pro cooler, OP can easily reach 4.7-4.8GHz stable.

AMD FX series does have better Virtualization support than Intel K series Processors. It supports both Vtd and Vtx which enables use of Graphics and other peripherals in Visualization mode. Intel K series only support Vtx whereas their non K supports both.

Last edited:
OP
CATALU/\/A

CATALU/\/A

Soccer Aficionado
Just read this. Two Ways to Cool Down Your Defective Overheating Intel CPU
Why is Intel doing that? This is why Haswell is hard to overclock...

Direct Cooling II top edition

*www.flipkart.com/kingston-hyperx-d..._personalBR_2&otracker=hp_mod__reco_prd_title

get the ram - it is @4300

I just noticed that Gryphon supports 1866 Mhz RAM. Would it be advisable to invest 2k more and get GSkill DDR3-1866/PC3-14900 from
*www.flipkart.com/ps/RAMD9F8A7MWHBVWR

Last edited:

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Just read this. Two Ways to Cool Down Your Defective Overheating Intel CPU
Why is Intel doing that? This is why Haswell is hard to overclock...

I just noticed that Gryphon supports 1866 Mhz RAM. Would it be advisable to invest 2k more and get GSkill DDR3-1866/PC3-14900 from
Flipkart.com

Even there is minimal difference in gaming between 1333mhz and 2400mhz. Stick with 1600mhz

OP
CATALU/\/A

CATALU/\/A

Soccer Aficionado
For Pure gaming i don't see any need to push CPU to 4.6GHz now at least. I5 and 4.2GHz is great and Deep cool Ice blade pro. can handle that much IMO. water coolers will come with another bunch of hassles.
So till games dont require op should not overclock more than 4.2GHz IMO.:)

I didn't find much difference between Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and Deepcool Ice Blade Pro, correct me if I am wrong but here are the reviews I read...
Deepcool ICE BLADE PRO V2.0 CPU Cooler Review | Hardware Secrets
AnandTech | Deepcool CPU Air Cooler Roundup: Playing it Too Safe?

I would Get Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP @12K

It can easily oc to 4.3ghz with i5/i7

+1 for DeepCool Ice Blade pro

With Grypon you can push up to 4.6ghz with good cooler

@Ashish65 - Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP is a nice board, but I am going with Gryphon due to its warranty (5 years) :wink:

Will be needing a PCI WI-FI card for internet connectivity, can u suggest me the same.
Since, Gryphon is m-ATX, will it have problems with a large air cooler, a graphic card on PCIe 3.0 (which is closest to the CPU) & a WI-FI card installed together in Corsair 400R

ASHISH65

Technomancer
I didn't find much difference between Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and Deepcool Ice Blade Pro, correct me if I am wrong but here are the reviews I read...
Deepcool ICE BLADE PRO V2.0 CPU Cooler Review | Hardware Secrets
AnandTech | Deepcool CPU Air Cooler Roundup: Playing it Too Safe?

@Ashish65 - Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP is a nice board, but I am going with Gryphon due to its warranty (5 years) :wink:

Will be needing a PCI WI-FI card for internet connectivity, can u suggest me the same.
Since, Gryphon is m-ATX, will it have problems with a large air cooler, a graphic card on PCIe 3.0 (which is closest to the CPU) & a WI-FI card installed together in Corsair 400R

No issues for putting large cooler

*www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GRYPHON_Z87/images/install_c.jpg

*www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GRYPHON_Z87/images/install_a.jpg

OP
CATALU/\/A

CATALU/\/A

Soccer Aficionado
Since OP also wants to run VMWares, Video Editing software along with games and also wants to overclock, what about an AMD solution. I tried to build one with a more beefy Graphics card, check it out:-

FX-8350 @ 12.5K
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 @ 8K
Kingston HyperX Blue 4GB X 2 1600 MHz DDR3 @ 4.7K
DeepCool iceblade Pro CPu Cooler @ 3K
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA III HDD @ 4.1K
Asus R9 290 @ 36K (ASUS GRAPHICS CARD R9 290 4GB DDR5 (R9290-4GD5 - 90YV0560-U0IA00 - 886227632565 - 38,095.23))
Asus 24BS5T 24X SATA DVD R/W 1K
Corsair Carbide 400R Cabinet @ 5.35K (CORSAIR CABINET 400R (CC-9011011-WW - CC-9011011-WW - - 6,850.00))
Seasonic SS750-JS 750W 80+ PSU @ 5.6K (SeaSonic SS-750JS 750W 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply)
APC 1.1KVA Black @ 5.6K

Total: 85.4K
Thanks @Cilus, but this will change the whole demographics of the system. My primary purpose is gaming and virtualization. I liked the single thread/core performance of i5 which is much better as compared to AMD and the fact that it consumes less power.
AMD FX series does have better Virtualization support than Intel K series Processors. It supports both Vtd and Vtx which enables use of Graphics and other peripherals in Virtualization intel. Intel K series only support Vtd whereas their non K supports both.
Didn't know Vtx support has been stripped of the K series of intel. You mean that I won't be able to run graphics heavy apps in VMware using the external graphic processor?

No issues for putting large cooler

*www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GRYPHON_Z87/images/install_c.jpg

*www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GRYPHON_Z87/images/install_a.jpg
What abt the WIFI card? Will it get some space?

Cilus

laborare est orare
CATALU/\/A , yes, you can't use Graphics hardware in VMWare without Vtd support. I recommended FX-8350 because most of the applications you have mentioned are actually highly multi-threaded in nature and can take advantage of all the available cores. And in gaming, as I mentioned earlier, they are gonna be highly multi-threaded and R9-290 will give you a huge boost in gaming which I was able to place within your budget along with the AMD configuration. Just my suggestion, with some data points. You can choose whatever you like.

Last edited:

ASHISH65

Technomancer
@ op If you are going with amd config then i suggest you to go with Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 @11.5k (if budget permits) :wink:

Top Bottom