Need a 2tb external hard disk

ravi847

Journeyman
I need to buy a 2tb external hard disk. Please suggest some good quality ones. I am not looking for something specific.

OP
ravi847

ravi847

Journeyman
This one:WD My Passport 2 TB External Hard Disk - WD : Flipkart.com
Or should I get the ultra version Amazon.in: Buy WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Auto Backup - Black Online at Low Prices in India | WD Reviews & Ratings

OP
ravi847

ravi847

Journeyman
get the Ultra version.
Why is there a price difference of 1k between the both?

- - - Updated - - -

Will ultra give lower read write speeds or same speeds?

- - - Updated - - -

Also how is this one-

*m.snapdeal.com/product/wd-2tb-elements-usb-30/1457692

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is there a price difference of 1k between the both?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Also how is this one-

WD Elements 2.5 inch 2 TB External Hard Drive - Buy External Hard Disks Online @ Best Price on Snapdeal.com

The tree goes like this :

Passport Ultra > Passport > Elements

All the difference lies in some fancy / useful software support and slight design variation. On FK it's just overpriced. So you can get either Elements from SD or passport Ultra [ at a great price ] from Amazon if you really do need all those added software features.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION],Ultra costs more because it has hardware encryption & comes with 3 years warranty compared to 2 years warranty on element drives which in turn means WD trusts ultra drives to fail less than element drives.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=275610]ravi847[/MENTION],

I agree with [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION], each WD product have different specification and different purpose of use.

The main difference between them is that WD My Passport and WD My Passport Ultra incorporates a hardware encryption, and WD Elements does not.

Also, WD Elements comes without any software, whereas WD My Passport Ultra and WD My Passport has a lot of features with it.

For more information about WD External drives, you may visit the below link:

Support Answers

The data transfer speed is same as the other hard drives, but the read and write speed is depend on the system configuration.

Hope this information helps you :)

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
have a look at Transcend StoreJet 25H3P 2.5-inch 2TB Portable External Hard Drive (Purple) - Buy Transcend StoreJet 25H3P 2.5-inch 2TB Portable External Hard Drive (Purple) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

comes with Military-grade shock resistance & Advanced 3-stage shock protection system

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
avoid any and all Transcend products unless you can live with absolutely no after sales support.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
only buy from well reputed sellers or better buy from flipkart's own seller WSRetail or sellers with amazon fulfilled tag on amazon india site(it means amazon india is responsible for delivery etc for such sellers).

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
my friend has been using a Transcend external portable HDD for some 8-9 years. never had any problem till now. my vendor gave me assurance about service part when i asked about that and also said we won't be needing that till we drop it. my friend asked me what to do and i said go by his suggestion. he is a happy man. this may be a rare case but the only one i had apart from experience of an online friend who is using 3 of these drives for some 6-8 months without any problem even after dropping 1 of them twice.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Which one is reliable & low failure rate - WD Elements or Passport ?

I don't need any special feature such as encryption which Ultra provides....I also like to know when the enclosure going to fail, after removing from the enclosure can I use the HDD or it comes encrypted like 3.5" WD External drive.

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=11717]dissel[/MENTION],

I’d like to add the word on it. In terms of reliability, Both drives are good and have, the less failure rate.
Based on your requirement, I’d suggest you to go with the WD Elements because it don’t have the extra feature like data encryption and software for backup and security. Its a simple storage drive and best for budget.

For opening up the WD external drives, please refer the below link for information:

*www.digit.in/forum/service-rma-watch/189290-wd-my-passport-has-stopped-detecting.html#post2192502

If you are planning for the 3.5 inch external drive, so I’d suggest you to buy the 2.5 inch internal drive and enclosure for external access. For your information, the latest External HDD made with the idea of integrated technology and If you try to open it, you will literally be destroying the HDD itself, unless you have special tools.

Hope this information helps.

$hadow

Geek in making
Which one is reliable & low failure rate - WD Elements or Passport ?

I don't need any special feature such as encryption which Ultra provides....I also like to know when the enclosure going to fail, after removing from the enclosure can I use the HDD or it comes encrypted like 3.5" WD External drive.

Go with passport. And as long as [MENTION=293224]DK_WD[/MENTION] is here I would blindly keep on suggesting the hdd. He helped mine in RMA twice.

Top Bottom