N82 vs N79

Which would you choose between N82 & N79?

• N82

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • N79

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

uppalpankaj

Ambassador of Buzz
*translate.google.com/translate?u=*...okia-n85-n79.shtml&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ru&tl=en

go through the above link .. is the author saying that, dual led is stronger than xenon for short distances?

Yes Yogi.... I read the same thing on mobile-review in which Elder stated that the N85's dual LED flash is better than the N82's Xenon flash for closer shots...

OP
N

nikhilpai

Techans
I am not a gamer in any case.... so don't really need the graphics chip. Maybe I might miss it for watching a few videos, but its not too often that I watch videos on a mobile screen.
So the graphics chip makes no difference to me. And even for those who care about gaming, since the N79 supports N-gage gaming, it must be good enough to support N-gage games.

Whether dual LED is really good than xenon in close shots could be debatable. But having read Eldar's article, one can presume that the dual LED must not be that much behind the xenon.

And even if it is, I would still get the N79 because for me a good keypad and decent battery life are much more important than xenon flash.... no doubt about that. To add to it, better looks, light weight, thinner and better sound quality. All these factors make it a winner.

Remember we are not comparing cameras.... we are comparing camera phones. And a 5 MP carl zeiss lens with autofocus and Dual LED is good enough for a camera phone.

Xenon is important for a camera but so is optical zoom. Just for argument sake, say if tomorrow Nokia introduces a newer version of the optical zoom enabled N93 with a 5 MP cam, would you buy that phone? It would be better than the N82 in terms of camera but who would want to buy that big a brick.

Extending the same logic further, just because the N82 is a better camera phone, I wouldn't buy it if on other so many fronts N79 is a better overall mobile. Those who vote for the N82 are just comparing the camera and are not thinking of a all round balanced converged device.

Just my own thoughts ! May not apply to everyone.

EDIT: Comparision updated in the first post

Last edited:

Third Eye

gooby pls
Obviously N79 is a great phone but,we can't say it completely triumphs over N82.They are almost same but N79 has better keypad.It's a good buy if you don't care about xenon.I find N85 even better.

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
AFAIK; N79s gonna be expensive. I like FM transmitter feature which isnt there in N82; But more powerful processor, graphics and camera with fair enough music will do for me better. So its N82. :) In looks N79 is better IMO but I dont care.
Though If I had that money; Id buy N85. Damn, the screen is a killer!!! :D

PS: Ive been wanting to buy a lower-end ROKR E6 for quite some time, researching the things I can do by modding it. :D

Power UP

In the zone
I am not a gamer in any case.... so don't really need the graphics chip. Maybe I might miss it for watching a few videos, but its not too often that I watch videos on a mobile screen.
So the graphics chip makes no difference to me. And even for those who care about gaming, since the N79 supports N-gage gaming, it must be good enough to support N-gage games.
Mobile gaming industry is an booming industry. Whether u game or not is totally irrelevant , as the majority of users do. Its all about a quick gaming session when ur bored.If the graphics look better than all the more better.
The upcoming N-gage will use 3d chip so not much future as a gaming phone for N79.

Its just like how after using Win Vista if u switch back to Win 98 , u will have symptoms :D

Whether dual LED is really good than xenon in close shots could be debatable. But having read Eldar's article, one can presume that the dual LED must not be that much behind the xenon.
LED (or even dual Led) is still much behind Xenon flash & here's why

Xenon flash provides 1000 time's greater brightness than typical LED's in consumer photography applications and enables greater than 100 times faster shutter speed and shorter exposure time than with LED's.
Xenon Flash technology provides a wider and more uniform light distribution than LED's as well as a color temperature closer to natural sunlight.
And even if it is, I would still get the N79 because for me a good keypad and decent battery life are much more important than xenon flash.... no doubt about that. To add to it, better looks, light weight, thinner and better sound quality. All these factors make it a winner.

Remember we are not comparing cameras.... we are comparing camera phones. And a 5 MP carl zeiss lens with autofocus and Dual LED is good enough for a camera phone.
Ofcourse the features make it a good phone but not necessarily the best.

Weight & thickness: A difference of 17grams & 2x1.2x2.3mm hardly matters much unless the user is extremely weak.

Sound quality: In the end most users will use 128K Mp3 and that itself destroys quality. So not much difference to be practical. Unless u use sennheiser top models u won't be able to make out the difference. On Ep630 which most will buy they will sound almost the same.

Keypad : One has to just get accustomed to the keypad. As i said before looks can be deceptive. And if u really want the best experience while typing u will need a QWERTY keypad.

Battery : N79 has a slightly better battery but N82 is no slouch either. It easily lasts 2 days with moderate usage.

Looks : Frankly when i first saw n79 , i thought it was cheap chinese phone. Looks are totally different for different viewers. Neither of the them is an phone like iPhone to be called an beauty by the majority.

Xenon is important for a camera but so is optical zoom. Just for argument sake, say if tomorrow Nokia introduces a newer version of the optical zoom enabled N93 with a 5 MP cam, would you buy that phone? It would be better than the N82 in terms of camera but who would want to buy that big a brick.

Extending the same logic further, just because the N82 is a better camera phone, I wouldn't buy it if on other so many fronts N79 is a better overall mobile. Those who vote for the N82 are just comparing the camera and are not thinking of a all round balanced converged device.

Just my own thoughts ! May not apply to everyone.
Dude both of them have almost similar features. N93 is too fat when compared to both of them. Ur logic doesn't quite fit in here.

Even if they release an phone with almost similar features to N82 & N79 like for ex. N99 with an extra feature as Optical zoom then

A) If i already have an phone with 5mp cam with Xenon then i won't buy N99
B) If i don't have an phone then i will choose N99 , if the price difference between them is sensible.

And furthermore since N79 is a new phone it will be priced higher than N82, but after some time price of N79 will come down but so will the price of N82.
In the end both of them will around the same price region with not much difference.

Having led light during video recording is useful but frankly speaking people will prefer taking more pics than videos after all 1min video easily takes up 20mb space. And in mobiles space is always a scarcity. And the N82 takes pretty good video in night with its night mode. In total darkness led light videos will only useful for very close objects and will mostly have too much noise due to size of the lens.Having an Xenon flash eliminates most of that noise in pics.

And furthermore N82 can do Vga @ 30 fps while N79 can only do Vga @ 15 fps. So in the end videos taken with N79 will look an slideshow when compared to the N82's smooth Videos.

In the end both of them cancel each other out in Video recording but still N82 holds the edge with Xenon.

Fp2 which mostly eye candy can be achieved on Fp1 through themes and even Flash themes.The upcoming firmwares should incorporate transition effects as seen in N81.

The other feature FM transmitter is controversial. Its banned in several countries. Even the N78 for india didn't have one afaik. And so getting N79 with FM transmitter is highly unlikely.

See the thing is N79 is a good phone , having a few flaws but exceptional in none. Its more like an average good phone suited for an average joe.

Similarly N82 is also an good phone , having a few flaws but the features where it triumphs it blows the competition away. (lol this is almost sounding like iPhone :D)

It was awarded best 5mp cam award, has an dedicated graphics chip and atm the most powerful hardware in an phone from Nokia alongside N95 8gb.

And check out Jbenchmark results

*www.jbenchmark.com/result.jsp

N82 is the top overall phone defeating every other mobile in the test

"Practically"
The features where N79 is better than N82, that u can easily adjust to.
But the features where N82 is better , N79 can't incorporate them.

But in the end no phone is 100% perfect so
as i always say this and will again......choose according to ur needs & preferences :p

Third Eye

gooby pls
Try this also. :D

*lament-island.en.softonic.com/symbian

btw,where it is mentioned that N79 sq is similar to n81.

Last edited:

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
All this "dual led" setup is about n85 .. eldar has mentioned it in his preview ..its not about n79,although it has dual led flash as well.

the question is which one to get ? n82 or n85 ..

between n82 and n79 ..n82 looks to be the winner ..

I am using n82 since december. Its a fantastic phone. But this n85 is looking hot as well.
when it is releasing in india? I guess it will be around 24k ..

*www.smape.com/en/reviews/nokia/Nokia_N85_N96-comp.html

read the mentioned delay for n96 ..

Last edited:

uppalpankaj

Ambassador of Buzz
N85 is a cool phone...But Is N85 a better phone than N82? What do u guys think?

Moreover, N85 will b way expensive than N82..So will it b a better value for money as compared 2 N82?

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
N85 is my new favourite phone. *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/23.png

uppalpankaj

Ambassador of Buzz
Xenon flash definitely seems better than dual LED flash... Its straight now...If ur preference is photos then u must definitely buy N82..Otherwise go for N79 which has a lot of advantages over N82..

Advantages of N79 over N82:
1. N79 will come with express covers...
2. Keypad seems 2 b better..
3. 4 GB card will b bundled.So u can store more..
4. Lighter (97 g) than N82 (114 g)
5. Slimmer (but not much of difference)
6. Will come with touch sensitive Navi Wheel which is missing in N82..
7. And the biggest of all - N79 has Symbian OS 9.3, Series 60 v3.2 UI (the latest of all)

But Guys tell me one thing - Will N79 b launched in black color? A black colored mobile looks elegant..I haven't seen photos of N79 in black anywhere...:(

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
But Guys tell me one thing - Will N79 b launched in black color? A black colored mobile looks elegant..I haven't seen photos of N79 in black anywhere...:(
No I don't think so. The front of the phone will remain white while you can change the rear cover with any of the available colour options.

uppalpankaj

Ambassador of Buzz
No I don't think so. The front of the phone will remain white while you can change the rear cover with any of the available colour options.

This is a big disappointment...The white one will get dirty pretty quickly...Even scratches will also show up very soon...This is a small minus factor for the N79.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
WTF!!!

Old wine in anew bottle.2 announcements by SE in a couple of days and a big announcement later this month.

G705-mid end phone with wifi and gps
W705-mid end walkman with wifi and gps
Hicaro- 8mp smartphone with 16 gb memory
W905-Full Touch UIQ walkman

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
This is a big disappointment...The white one will get dirty pretty quickly...Even scratches will also show up very soon...This is a small minus factor for the N79.
I just checked out GSMArena and there will be a grey version as well, i.e. the front will be grey.

*www.mobilmania.cz/getfile.aspx?id_file=37132200

But contrary to what you believe, I don't think it'll be much susceptible to scratches (light colours hide scratches better). And since it is glossy, it won't be dirty as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom